Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Desolation Denizen
Default   #33  
Clearing her throat, straightening, and crossing her legs, Astra interjects before an obviously-riled Godiva can speak her mind.

ASTRA: Diplomacy 1d20+19 = 37.

"On the contrary, I agree with both of you. We'll need to learn to trust each other if we're going to be fighting side by side, and dinners like this are perfect for that. We should all feel free to say whatever we wish. But, now that you've mentioned this fort, ma Dame, I'm certainly keen to hear more about it."

She's rather proud of how cool and collected that sounded, and she certainly isn't above admitting it to herself. This is what she's best at, after all.

LORD NOSYA: Sense Motive 1d20+12= 19

Glancing up as though noticing Astra for the first time in a while, the lord adds, "Yes, I've heard over and over how important recapturing that old ruin is, so I must assume it's worth discussing now. You'll forgive me if I've not the mind for such terrible matters, that's why I've hired you, of course, my lady."

His attention is drawn slightly away at the end as servants begin carrying in plates heaped with steaming food.

Old Posted 07-31-2018, 04:30 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
"Of course," Godiva says to Astra though not being particular about which part she's agreeing with.

Waiting for the food to be places, Godiva arranged her napkin and waits for Lord Nosya to begin before addressing Astra's second point.

"The fort is an older one, not a building we previously used but now it is occupied by ogres." She pauses now and then to take a bite. "We aren't certain if they are an independent group or not, but they have begun to harass our supply lines" ... "We haven't lost anything to them yet, but we'd best clear them out before things escalate. We can then make use of the fort itself for our own purposes."

If Godiva is still annoyed with Daphie, she isn't showing as they are talking about the campaign.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old Posted 07-31-2018, 07:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #35  
Astra accepts her plate with a graceful smile, slipping off her gloves to eat. She listens intently to Godiva's briefing, trying to take in the various aspects of the situation.

ASTRA: Knowledge (Tactics) 1d20+18 = 22

"Ogres tend to be disorganized, this sounds like a fairly sophisticated move on their part. We'll definitely need to take them out, though, we can't have that kind of threat looming at our back while we're trying to take on Ancasha's armies."

She brushes a stray hair out of her face and remembers to take another bite, despite her lacking appetite.

"I'll definitely want more information, before we make any move to attack. Think you're up to the task, Dafie?"

Old Posted 07-31-2018, 04:31 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Despite looking utterly disinterested in the shift of conversation, Dafie nodded. "I'm certain we could find out a thing or two. Are we interested in any specific notes, or overall anything that we can find out?"
Old Posted 08-01-2018, 02:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #37  
"You mean to send her out on reconnaissance on her own? Won't that be extremely dangerous?"

The lord looks from Dafie to Astra in genuine concern.

Clearing her throat, Astra clarifies patiently - despite having informed the man of Dafie's specialization not six hours ago - "On the contrary, my lord, Dannaphine is highly competent at such tasks, and her magics serve well in preventing detection by the enemy. Although, it does occur to me that we could use more spies. You'll be in charge of that as well as your other duties from now on, Dafie."

She has to admit, the cooks here are rather talented. For once it isn't a chore to keep up the pretense of participating in dinner. With any luck she might even put on some weight here if they ate like this every night...

"As to the fortress, though, Dafie, I'm most interested in their numbers, any defenses they have established on the walls, their general esprit de corps and the competency of any commanders, the overall caliber of their equipment, their watch and meal cycles, as well as traffic into and out of the stronghold within a span of twenty-four hours. That should be enough to keep you busy, don't you think?" She pops another chunk of spiced potato into her mouth while looking at her adjutant with eyes that are nothing but totally serious.

Old Posted 08-01-2018, 03:04 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Listening to the conversation thus far, Lord Elgron pauses in his meal; "You seem be confident in what you need, and if Miss Dannaphine is confident in her ability to get it for you, then I suggest you lead this mission, Miss Astra."

Godiva snaps her head to look at him, "My Lord?"

Elgron raises a hand.
"Strategy and tactics before fighting. This is the perfect time to see how well we can work together before we begin with mission more crucial to our effort. He goes back to eating again "Astra, once you determine how best to take the fort, Godiva can see to getting what supplies you will need, and can take you to the fort itself. Agreed.?"

Godiva sits back in her chair, mouth in a crooked frown, but nonetheless...fine! "Agreed."
Old Posted 08-01-2018, 07:40 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #39  
Dafie considered Astra's list quietly for a moment, seeming to ignore the following exchange between Lord Elgron and Godiva. "Well," she spoke up after a time, "to get an accurate account of the fortress' schedule would take around two weeks' time. Any less than that and there will be far too many variables left untouched. The rest should be easy enough."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 04:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Astra chuckles at the exchange. "Don't you mean Godiva will take the fort for us herself? She certainly seems eager enough." Realizing it's awkward and possibly demeaning to the woman to speak of her in the third person while she's sitting right there, Astra is cut off by Dafie before she can rectify the situation, and hearing her adjutant's estimate takes her attention completely away.

"Two weeks? Really? And that's not even accounting for marching time, how far is it to this fortress?" Perhaps Lord Elgron was right that they should have saved this talk for after the meal. She needed a map.

Old Posted 08-02-2018, 04:29 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #41  
Godiva's frown actually turns upright somewhat, apparently not offended by the idea, even in jest, that she could take the fort on by herself.

But still, two weeks...we do not have that time.

"That time frame concerns me as well." She pauses a moment, in thought. "The fort is not that far, a few days short travel, say 3 or 4, and possibly 2-3 days hard march. You could begin your reconnaissance from the start and the rest of us can use the intervening time to prepare for a general combat and meet you there. However, that means planning out strategy while in the field. Does this concern either of you?"
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 04:41 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
"I said an accurate account," Dafie clarified, looking utterly unamused by both of the women questioning her answer. "Two weeks allows time to see if there are any changes in schedule from week to week, such as supply drops, rotation of the guard, and similar instances. If we don't believe it necessary, then it isn't necessary. I leave weighing the chances we do and do not wish to take to the tacticians."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 04:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #43  
"Hmm, that certainly does seem like a concern, it would be a catastrophe if we failed at this early stage." Lord Nosya looks between Astra and Dafie as though expecting a magical middleground solution to spring up between them.

"Bah, it's a rout of ogres, I doubt they've even heard of half the concerns you just listed." Lord Elgron looks to Astra from beneath his heavy brows. "Meaning no disrespect, of course, my lady, just honest soldier's talk."

"On the contrary, I'm inclined to agree. I'd hate to take any losses at all, but between your troops and mine, I'd think we could hit them hard enough in an initial assault to throw them into complete disarray. Getting inside the fortress will be an obstacle of course, but we have the magic to do it." She's done eating at this point, planning the assault is far too interesting. "I say we take all of tomorrow to ready our forces and move out at dawn the next day. Dafie, I want as much information as you can possibly get by then, but don't do anything reckless. If need be I'll sneak in myself to take a look around once we've arrived, but I'm not expecting any real surprises."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 05:06 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
"I suppose we should both go, in that case," Dafie said, not bothering to hide her disappointment with the decision. "I'd been hoping I could get to know this place and its people for a while longer, but orders are orders."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 05:10 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #45  
For once looking at Daphie without sudden disfavor or criticism, Godiva simply comments, "We will hardly be away permanently. Once this fort is dealt with, we can have more time to...get to know...one another."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 05:14 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Tilting her head at the slight hesitation in the statement that she supposed was meant to be reassurance, Dafie offered Godiva a cool smile and replied, "Don't hurt yourself. You'll sour my mood."
Old Posted 08-02-2018, 11:42 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #47  
Sense motive = 23

Godiva frowns. I guess things -aren't- starting to go well. "Forgive my lack of practice with social discussion. If you dislike your choice or words, perhaps say what you really mean." She folds her napkin and sands up from the table. "My lords," she bows slightly, and "pardon my departure, I should begin seeing to preparations." To the rest, "good evening."
Old Posted 08-03-2018, 02:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
She hadn't been sure how the company would take to an immediate assignment, but the news went over remarkably well. Weeks at sea had apparently left them eager to get back to work. So, after an unusually good night's rest, Astra found them up early and hard at it in the barracks salle, sparring with training weapons, sharpening their service blades, and performing cutting exercises on soaked rolls of mats. No few of what she presumed to be Lord Elgron's soldiers were there as well, many even exercising with her girls, lending an excited clamor to the air as Astra walked among them, watching and assessing.

Krystelle was off to one end of the yard with two dozen of their rank and files, and just as many of the Nosya soldiers, drilling in various formations and maneuvers, her voice occasionally breaking above the din to call out an order in elvish. Almost no one in the company actually spoke the language, but it had proven effective as coded shorthand to cut through the noise of battle. It didn't take much to learn what each shrill word meant in the context of keeping each other alive, and that was enough.

Closer by, on Astra's left, she found Koyani and Lyndsi engaged in a rather dramatic cutting exercise, the taller woman armed with a bull-whip in either hand, snapping them erratically in Koyani's direction as razor-edged katanas lashed out again and again to send chunks of leather cord flying. Perhaps not the most cost-effective form of practice, but it was certainly impressive to watch.

LYNSDI: Swift Strike + Attack, 1d20+3, -5, -2, -6 = 7, 5, 13, 3

KOYANI: Steel Wind, sunder attempt, 1d20+7, +7, +3, +3, = 21, 20, 17, 23 (Critical Hit)

In a dizzying flash, Lyndsi sends what remains of her whips cracking at the smaller girl, the cords seeming to reverse direction in midair in attempt to slip past her guard, but with her characteristic calm and grace, muscles like forged iron snapping in total control of her blades, Koyani responds with a flurry of strikes, defeating each attack and with her last, sending a bisected section of one of the whips streaking back at Lyndsi's face.

KOYANI: Improvised Ranged Attack, 1d20+1 = 21 (Critical Hit) vs. Evasion 16. 1 WP damage.

Caught off-guard, it strikes Lyndsi just above the left eye with an audible crack that has her reeling, blood streaking her face when she looks up. "Ugh, you freaking bitch! Are you serious, Koyani?" She blinks at the shocking quantity of blood staining her glove, but her tone is more playful than upset. Injuries in training are something of a mark of pride.

Of course, the swordswoman says nothing in return, her vow of silence unbroken for something as paltry as a friend's spilled blood. She merely sheathes her blades in an effortless blur and tosses Lyndsi a rag.

Astra laughs, any momentary concern fluttering away. "Go see Mia so it doesn't get infected. You'll have a good story to tell at dinner tonight."

"I wanna know how she even did that!" Lyndsi grumbles as she heads away. Astra shares a smile with Koyani, well-accustomed to such outrageous displays of talent.

Old Posted 08-03-2018, 02:23 AM Reply With Quote