Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #49  
"Impressive."

Godiva approaches from behind Astra. She is wearing her full armour, a large, black, two-handed axe strapped across her back.
Old Posted 08-03-2018, 03:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Astra turns to greet Godiva. The sun is glinting across her lacquered armor, only adding to the imposing figure the woman cuts.

"Indeed," she replies, "Koyani is the preeminent swordswoman of our company." Lyndsi would contest that if she were here, but she wasn't, now was she?

"She has attained the third circle of initiation into the Sword-Saints of Kaliath-Tarre. Her time with us is a trial she must past before returning to her masters. Until that time, she is sworn to silence."

The diminutive woman bows deeply to Godiva, tugging her face mask back into place from where it slipped down during practice.
Old Posted 08-03-2018, 03:27 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #51  
Int check = 12

Godiva listens to Astra's words on behalf of Koyani but soon loses interest as the names and details mean little to her.

"Do many of your number have such skills?" Godiva had been walking about the barracks and observing the matches between the mercenaries and Lord Nosya's house soldiers, seeing how the two stacked up against each other.

"No, I'm afraid the rest of our number are far more conventional in their training. You'll find they match up well to any force we set them against, though."

"That's a bold claim," Godiva is quick to state, "but they seem to compliment Lord Nosya's troops from first impressions. We should do some group exercises together as well, to see how well the two groups can perform when given joint tasks."
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-04-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 02:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
"I'm sure we could arrange that," Astra says to Godiva, looking off at where Krystelle's group is cycling through formations. Looking back to the woman, she says, "For now, though, I was hoping to get some practice in myself. Would you care to partner with me?" Astra flashes her what she hopes is a dazzling smile.

ASTRA: Diplomacy: 1d20+19 = 37
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 02:51 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #53  
Godiva's eyebrows shoot up, making her eyes rounder than normal, as she looks at the diminutive woman, even more-so when compared to Godiva herself. But...

"I would hate to turn down any offer of sparring, but are you sure? I admit I've been curious as to what style you use, you appearing so slight. What shall the terms be?"
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-04-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 03:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
"I favor a defensive style with the smallsword," Astra answers her, treading over where Koyani and Lyndsi had been practicing. "Of course, in actual battles, I rely primarily on my spellcraft to catch the opponent off-guard, but I won't employ anything so underhanded against you, my lady."

She unbelts her rapier and sets it down gently, considers removing her jacket, but thinks better of it. Even with wasters, any blow from this woman will risk cracking bones, and the scant padding it provides is better than nothing. Not that she intends on being struck.

"I figure the arming sword should be amenable for us both, wouldn't you say?" She collects two such wooden stand-ins from a nearby rack and tosses one to Godiva, testing the (somewhat poor) balance of hers in the other hand. Waiting on her opponent, Astra does a few stretches to limber up, thankful that her wound isn't acting up today.

Old Posted 08-04-2018, 04:09 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #55  
"As you say."

Godiva takes the sword, swings it a little in her hand, feeling the balance before trying some mock strikes. As an afterthought, she lifts the black axe from her back and stands it up against the wall, slightly back from where they are sparring so the long shaft doesn't cause a tangle if one of them should misstep. For once, Godiva is smiling genuinely, though her eyes retain sharp focus.

"When you are ready."

Initiative 8
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-04-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 04:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
ASTRA: Initiative 1d20+10 = 21

"By the way," Astra says as she falls into a forward stance. "Don't you dare hold back on me." And with a cautious eye, she steps forward to attack.

ASTRA: Elusive Target @ Godiva (Negates Power Attack damage)
ASTRA: Dodge @ Godiva (+2 Evasion)
ASTRA: Fighting Defensively: +2 Evasion, +1d6 damage, -4 to Hit
ASTRA: Skirmish via Whirlwind Boots, +1 to Hit, +1d6 damage

ASTRA: Move + Attack, 1d20+2 = 17 to hit; 1d4+2d6 = 11 damage

Springing forward, Astra crosses the distance between them rapidly, her sword leading, wary for the slightest twitch of a counterattack as she goes in for a lunge.

Old Posted 08-04-2018, 04:49 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #57  
"Don't you dare hold back on me."

Godiva smiles again, and grips her sword with both hands

Stance: Nerves of Cold Steel (+2 attack, bonus vs. fear) = swift action
Feat: Overwhelming Assault (+4 attack against adjacent opponents ending turn in threatened square)

Attack roll 1d20+12 = 29, miss chance = fail

She does not. Taken off guard at first by Astra's swift stab, Godiva hardly notices the sword's glance off her armoured shoulder and swings aggressively. Confident in her aim, she is astonished when the blade makes no connection with the other woman. Visibly surprised, she glares slightly, as clearly some other form of magic is at play here, but the outside light glitters from her own armour. Her gauntlets in particular are shimmering beyond a glint from the simple light. She decides not to object to Astra's curious defense. The trade is fair.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-04-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 05:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
ASTRA: Move as Swift Action via Whirlwind Boots to behind Godiva
ASTRA: Cancel defensive fighting
ASTRA: Attack 1d20+6 = 23 Damage = 8

Gods, she's fast!

Expecting to be facing a lumbering brute, Astra almost loses from the first moment, only the enchantment on her jacket saving her from a direct hit. Her own thrust struck true, just under Godiva's left pauldron, but even with her magical rapier it probably wouldn't have pierced the thick maille the woman wore beneath her heavy harness.

Scrambling from the near-miss, Astra activates the enchantment on her boots to lend a burst of speed to her legs, darting twice to Godiva's left side in a blur that leaves her directly behind. Snapping her wrist, Astra brings her sword down straight toward the woman's head, pulling the strike at the last moment so she doesn't concuss her.

Old Posted 08-04-2018, 06:59 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #59  
Attack = 20
Miss chance = Fail

Slightly off balance from her failed strike, Godiva spins towards where Astra now stands and raises her arm, her vambrace deflecting the incoming blow into her gorget rather than her head. She returns the strike, aiming underneath Astra's collarbone, but again, her sword finds no substance.

Damn this magic!
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Astra looks almost as surprised as her opponent as Godiva's sword passes through air not even an inch from her clavicle, the displacement effect on her jacket saving her once again from a strike that might have collapsed her lung, for all Godiva appeared to not be pulling her attacks.

ASTRA: Disarm Attempt: 1d20+5 = 16
ASTRA: Provokes Attack of Opportunity, Evasion = 19

Keeping her wits about her, Astra slaps at Godiva's extended blade with the flat of her own, winding around and twisting her crossguard over Godiva's in attempt to wrench it out of her grip.

Old Posted 08-04-2018, 09:39 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #61  
Attack of Opportunity = Critical failure
Disarm resistance = 18
Disarm attempt = 26

Getting frustrated with her inability to hit smaller woman, Godiva seeks an opening in the next attack and quickly draws back her arm for a punch to Astra's chest, and smacks herself between the eyes with the back of her gauntlet.

A clod of her dark hair, unbound, is lodged in the plating at her elbow, and Godiva reels backwards from the force of her own blow, yanked back instinctively with her other arm, for balance, and taking both her own weapon and Astra's with it.

Gah! Dammit, "shit!"
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-04-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 10:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
ASTRA: Disarm Resistance: 1d20+5= 16. Failure.

She sees Godiva flinch and thinks to end the duel there by depriving the woman of her weapon, but her following reaction comes with such force, it not only tears Astra's sword free of her hand, but all but dislocates her arm in the process. Astra stumbles down to one knee as Godiva stumbles back, a wave of sudden pain washing over her.

That strength... wasn't human. It must be her gauntlets. She hits as hard as the giant lord did... and that was my scar side, too.

ASTRA: Shaken, 1 round

"I think... that's enough for now..." she wheezes out, wincing at the throb in her side. She didn't seem to be losing consciousness, though, so probably just an aggravation.

Old Posted 08-04-2018, 10:44 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #63  
Blinking a couple times to clear the water from her eyes, it's a moment before Godiva sees Astra hunched over. She shakes her head a little, and puts her hand on Astra's shoulder.

"Are you alright?" she asks with genuine concern, still breathing a little quickly from the exertion.

She had pulled her hair out from where it was caught in her armour: a few strands, broken and kinked, still between the plates.
Old Posted 08-04-2018, 11:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Astra gives a strained shake of her head. "I - will be. In a moment." She bites her lip in effort not to sob. After a moment, it begins to subside to a bearable ache, and she climbs shakily to her feet with Godiva's help.

She looks to the other woman, somewhat taken aback by how worried she appears. "An old wound," Astra tells. "One careless instant and flame giant's incinerating sword cleaving me nearly in half. I would have died for sure if not for Mia." She suppresses a shudder at the memory, as little of it as she does remember. "Not even a miracle could make me truly whole, though."

As much to get herself some air as to show Godiva the extent of the injury, Astra unlaces her jacket and shrugs it off into one hand, tugging up her undershirt to display the dark scar that mars her pale flesh from navel to breast. She looks to Godiva with as much of a smile as she can muster. "So you see, it's rare I fight anyone without relying on my magic. I appreciate you giving me the chance." And then, after another moment, she adds, "I dare say you're stronger than the giant who did this to me," her smile slipping into a self-deprecating grin.

Old Posted 08-05-2018, 12:35 AM Reply With Quote