Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

She Who Is Unnecessarily Formal At Times
Default Share your colored pencils techniques please   #1  
I'm looking to improve my traditional coloring skills. I use mainly colored pencils for this, but recently I decided my work is a bit...bland. My current method is kind of boring. Just use the color you want, press according to heaviness of shading desired, eraser for highlights.

Does anyone know simple coloring tutorials or have a few tips of their own for coloring with this medium?

I'm quite busy lately. I may poof for several days at a time.
Old Posted 11-14-2012, 04:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I tend to cheat so I don't know if this helps.

It could be the type of pencils you are using so if you have been using like Roseart or crayola then I say its time to invest in the next grade up. Generals and Prismacolor made some really nice color pencils. They tend to blend smoother when you layer them.

At least that is what one of my teachers told me once and I found it true. Most watercolors I use do not look good if I use the cheap kind. Same with the type of paper I buy.

The other thing I like to do is use water color over color pencils. The wax makes a resist so it ends up with different effects. You can also try markers too.

As for actual technique tutorials I would say spend some time on DA or youtube looking at how toos and speed draws.
Old Posted 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #3  
I agree with Poggio on the type of pencil crayon thing. The cheaper coloured pencils tend to have a higher wax content and they don't blend or layer as well. Prismacolours are my favourite but Staedtler isn't that bad for the cheaper sets.

In art class the main thing my teacher told is, which I will say now, is to use a very soft touch, because if you have a sharp edge on your pencil crayon and end up making a hard, solid line, you will never be able to get rid of it. This mean lots and lots of building up colours and layers rather than starting out with hard colours.

Practice different pressures to get the different shades from one pencil, which is sounds like you already do. You can mix and blend colours directly on a drawing. Blending colours is easy if you use a light touch and don't press too hard to start with. Just colour overtop of another colour to mix them.

Also, pencil crayon, I find, will only layer so much before colour just stops transferring onto the paper. As an example of paper, I've found that plain old smooth printer paper makes for nice and easy blending, but doesn't take as many layers.

And just to mention, my general experience is that pencil crayon art does not scan well.
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
The only tip I can give is to colour in a circular motion.
My friend pointed it out to me one day in class so there wouldn't be lines where I lifted off the paper to start in a different section.
><;;
I'm not really a traditional artist these days, not since I got my tablet.
So I haven't had to use pencil crayons in a few years.
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #5  
That's the reason my teacher had us being really soft at first, often rounding off the tip of a pencil on another piece of paper. It's hard not to get lazy sometime and leave lines on the paper. You can see the lines on my colour job for a drawing I put up in the avi art thread over in the Trisphee Times forum. It was a pretty fast colour job.

Showing lines isn't always a bad thing if you want some texture, like wood grain.
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Thanks for the responses. I think I should get better pencils, namely more Prismacolors. And I will take all your advice and see what works for my style.

Old Posted 11-18-2012, 08:33 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
If you don't mind my asking, would you mind letting us know how your Primsacolours hold up? I have the Prismacolour Scholar type, and I love them, but dang they break a lot! I'm wondering if I just got a batch that was made with a crummy wood batch. The package has been dropped once or twice.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM Reply With Quote  
I've gotten Premier ones, a 24 pack. It's pretty durable for my usages, and I press very heavily sometimes. I do suppose that would lead to eventual breakage...

Old Posted 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #9  
Hi there! What's been said so far is great help!
I see that you got new pencils, and that will definitely help.

I think the key thing to remember is to layer your colors. And don't be afraid to experiment! The key to richer drawings is color! Don't be scared to throw some blue shadows on red areas. It's all about contrast and making it work.

I'd also read up on some color theory stuff, that helps a lot. And never forget that the best practice you can get is to draw from life. :)

I hope that helps a little. xD
I'm horrid at advice.
Old Posted 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM Reply With Quote