Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

*twitch*
Exclamation Junji Ito   #1  
Hey so I was recently reminded of one of my favorite manga authors, Junji Ito. I was wondering if anyone else has read his stuff?

One of my favorites of his is The Human Chair because it's beyond creepy. But I know the enigma fault was made into a meme so maybe some of you have come across him before and not known it.

Anyways what's your favorite? Or if you like another short story horror manga artist better, feel free to recommend and talk about them.
Find the ones that haven't given up. They are the future.

Life is a very special book. You read it with your heart. The first chapter may be confusing, but it will become clear and interesting when you keep reading.
Life is also a strange road. You have to keep going even though it's bumpy.

Old Posted 03-26-2018, 09:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
I hate to say it, but I've actually never read it. I was introduced to the anime before the manga, so it's still on my to read. I'd be willing to bet that the manga is better, but the anime is pretty great too! Will be reading when I have more time!
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-26-2018, 11:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #3  
2spoopy4me

srsly. I read the spirals manga because it was released here and it creeped me up <.< the man is really good. I don't mess with him ( I say, as I read the link you provided before going to bed)
Old Posted 03-27-2018, 10:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
I hope you're reading it in the dark to get the full effect! Truly, he is a master of horror - his stuff is enough to leave lingering thoughts that jump scares don't do for me. I desperately need to read it, but I'll do that when I've got the time x.x
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-27-2018, 10:27 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
Default   #5  
Spider - I didn't know he has an anime no one told me D': must see if it's not that one about the boy who likes having nails in his mouth. But yeah I have watched and read a lot of horror in my life, but he's one the best of the business.

mdom - lol do you want me to recommend more to you of his? lol

Life is a very special book. You read it with your heart. The first chapter may be confusing, but it will become clear and interesting when you keep reading.

Old Posted 03-27-2018, 10:47 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've never really pay any attention to manga but that was pretty cool. I looked at it, wondering if it was anything like the old radio story I heard called "Chair." Is that the sort of stuff this guy normally does?
Old Posted 03-29-2018, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Magic
Default   #7  
oh wow i just went on a junji ito binge the last week. i read almost every one of his short stories over the last week even ones i've already read lol. he's probably my favorite horror comics writer.

i just read a reallllly funny one by him about this couple that is arguing over fast zombies and slow zombies and then they become zombies.

i think my favorite by him will always be 'the enigma of amigara fault'.

i don't think the anime is that good. having the stories animated doesnt really add anything to any of the stories- if anything it takes away because the art becomes so simplified and part of what is so great about his manga is how intricate and detailed his artwork is.
Old Posted 03-29-2018, 07:16 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
@Quiet lol yeah he does a lot of horror stories like that, they aren't gore fests they are actual stories a lot like the example I showed. He's an old school guy that's been doing horror for many years. you can find a lot of the translated scans here http://www.slugchicks.com/

@Claire lol I remember that one. And I have to binge on him too when i go back to reread. I usually wait about a year or a year and a half before I go searching for more new ones after finding all the ones I can.

Enigma fault is a good one, but I also like the groaning drain.

I had noticed when I saw the anime was on crunchy roll it looked like that, so that's why I didn't get around to watching it.

Old Posted 03-30-2018, 12:41 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
horror, horror manga, junji ito