Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #17  
I usually pick gender-neutral and/or made-up names. Most the time I don't try to call attention to my gender, though a time or two I've skyped with a group and they're like, "oh, you're a chick. :O " and don't make a big deal out of it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 11-30-2012, 02:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
*lurk lurk lurk*

Last time I checked I was male (but you have to keep an eye on these things, y'know?), but that doesn't mean I don't agree.

As a male, I find it demeaning that publishers think they need to flash cleavage and curves in my face to get my attention. It's not NECESSARY.

Now, I do think a game with character customization options should PERMIT creating a "sexy" character. Plenty of players -- male and female alike -- DO like them. It was a big surprise when I found out that some of the biggest defenders of revealing female armor on the WoW forums were FEMALE players. I had to modify my understanding of the issue to account for this fact.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #19  
Off on a tangent, but holy fuck, I hate it when you play as a girl and guys try to give you gifts and shit. I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF, THANKYOUVERYMUCH.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
o.O I never had that problem..

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #21  
Now (as a male usually-assassin-type), I get people chasing after me for parties.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonskid View Post
o.O I never had that problem..
What games do you play, DK? I've seen it happen in WoW, both when my wife rolls a new character and on the occasion that I play a female toon myself.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #23  
I play the free to play anime style mmos like Eden Eternal, Cloud Nine, Spirit Tales, I'm waiting for Lime Odyssey. I've also played, Ether Saga, Asda Story, Asda Story 2, Mabinogi, Kitsu Saga.. probably others i cant recall xD

each time i'm a female character too I don't play males unless they are adorable >.>, like on spirit tales.. i played a male on there xD

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 02:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
... this is very accurate. People are always surprised in online games that i play (like wow for example) when they realize i truly am a real live female. And my guy friends hate that i kick there butt at all fps and fighter games they challenge me to.

there are so many games out there that are "male" only and i own at them. its very angering that we aren't considered gamers. and i call myself a gamer, not a girl gamer.

also dungeons and dragons, magic the gathering, board games... why in the world are these considered male only. i get stares when i walk into gaming stores. -.-
Old Posted 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #25  
It's not so much that the GAMES are male-only (most people realize that girls play D&D -- but the stereotype is that they play social intrigue instead of combat) as it is that the ENVIRONMENT is. Boys claimed the "geek" archetype first (again, the stereotype is that girls have other social outlets and therefore don't turn into geeks) and band together for solidarity in that pursuit, and a girl entering that environment is treading on the subconsciously-sacred area that geek-boys have carved out for themselves.

And both because boys DO outnumber girls in those pursuits, and because the attitude reinforces itself by shunning those that don't fit the preconceptions, the environment also reinforces that perception, because girls ARE a comparative rarity.

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
i actually call myself a Neik :D
its nerd and geek using the spelling sheik from ocarina of time :D

and oh well. I shall stay in the group no matter how "out of place" i am. ^-^
Old Posted 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #27  
Another tangent: There was a Nerf War yesterday. The people there were me and eleven guys, mostly upperclassmen. Granted, I'm a small person and prefer to travel light, so I didn't have the firepower that some of them had (...three rifles and three 25-round mags), but I still played better and downed more than a few of them.

I think Nerf stuff is even more exclusively a "guy" thing. Have you seen the boxes for Nerf guns and such? There isn't a single one depicting a girl.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
i love nerf guns. xD i jsut don't have the money for them. Hubby and I are planning to have random nerf wars when we can afford them :]
Old Posted 12-02-2012, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #29  
Oh, random nerf wars have happened more than once during study sessions, haha...

I mean, you can't blame college kids jacked up on Pixie Stix before Halloween.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
like he comes home from work and there will be a sign on the window "you are targeted! get your nerf gun :D "
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #31  
I'd be way too tired after work to get a nerf gun and run around XD
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
It'd be worth it though wouldn't it :D
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:49 AM Reply With Quote