Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #17  
I suppose. Still not really a fan though, as it does make the forum look much smaller, and doesn't necessarily encourage posting in any given topic. Is it easier to manage having fewer individual forums?
Old Posted 11-23-2015, 12:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Honestly it doesn't actually make much of a difference from a management perspective.

As for looking smaller, it's a trade-off. You can have a forum that looks smaller but more active, or a forum that looks bigger but less active. Toho's comment about forums with two-year-old threads on the front page is a sign that we were too far on the "less active" side of things, and activity is the main thing that drives a website -- if people see other people being active, they themselves are more likely to be active. Meanwhile, if a person doesn't see a lot of other activity, they're more likely to just forget to come back.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #19  
We are watching and we can make adjustments if the admin team feels that a further change would better suit the community.

As I said before - let's say, music starts to dominate the media forum and it's hard to find threads on other topics for a significant amount of time (to rule out spikes in activity) - in that case, we would split the music topics off into a music subforum to allow other topics to breathe. If the subforum were to grow large enough that it would need it's own sub-subforums, then we as admins would discuss promoting the forum to a main forum. It's kind of a weird forum evolution of sorts.

I think this will definitely help us to appear busier, which will encourage people to post more, which in turn will help the forums grow. If a certain topic is popular enough, it may very well become a main forum again.

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Trisphee Site Rules | Sei's Hideout
Old Posted 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Honestly it doesn't actually make much of a difference from a management perspective.

As for looking smaller, it's a trade-off. You can have a forum that looks smaller but more active, or a forum that looks bigger but less active. Toho's comment about forums with two-year-old threads on the front page is a sign that we were too far on the "less active" side of things, and activity is the main thing that drives a website -- if people see other people being active, they themselves are more likely to be active. Meanwhile, if a person doesn't see a lot of other activity, they're more likely to just forget to come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei View Post
We are watching and we can make adjustments if the admin team feels that a further change would better suit the community.

As I said before - let's say, music starts to dominate the media forum and it's hard to find threads on other topics for a significant amount of time (to rule out spikes in activity) - in that case, we would split the music topics off into a music subforum to allow other topics to breathe. If the subforum were to grow large enough that it would need it's own sub-subforums, then we as admins would discuss promoting the forum to a main forum. It's kind of a weird forum evolution of sorts.

I think this will definitely help us to appear busier, which will encourage people to post more, which in turn will help the forums grow. If a certain topic is popular enough, it may very well become a main forum again.
If this is how you guys are handling it, then that would be absolutely perfect.

Old Posted 11-24-2015, 12:58 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #21  
So do we need to request existing writing journal threads be moved into the new subforum?
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 01:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
If there's a thread you feel is out of place, you can ALWAYS contact the staff to request a move.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 02:06 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #23  
Well it's my poetry thread. ;). It just fits in the new sub-forum. There a form or anything or do I just say 'Please move "Quiet's Poems" thread into the Writers' Journals forum?'
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 12:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
That's all you need. And it's done. :)
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 12:46 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #25  
First thread! I win!

Despite my gripes about the media forum, I do like the new approach to the writers/artists area.
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 01:16 PM Reply With Quote