Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Harmless
Default GBA Emulator Recommendations?   #1  
Hi Friends,

So I recently found out about the Gameboy Emulators that simulate old school GB/GBA games. I've been playing Pokemon obsessively, along with a handful of nostalgic others.

Does anyone have any other gameboy games besides Pokemon that are fun to play? I'm interested in finding some new stuff to play

Thankzz C:
Old Posted 08-16-2017, 06:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Well, it would be illegal for us to tell you where to find the games, so heads up right now that I'm GOING to be moderating this thread.

As for the emulator itself... I recommend mGBA / medusa, mostly because I'm friends with the author. :P

In terms of games... What kinds of games do you even like? RPGs? Platformers? Puzzle?
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
Default   #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Well, it would be illegal for us to tell you where to find the games, so heads up right now that I'm GOING to be moderating this thread.

As for the emulator itself... I recommend mGBA / medusa, mostly because I'm friends with the author. :P

In terms of games... What kinds of games do you even like? RPGs? Platformers? Puzzle?
Totally understand your moderating. No worries, I'm mostly looking for title recs that I can look into.

And yeah, I am actually using mGBA. Aside from some crashes (totally bc my computer is old and doing it's best), it works great.

I'm really into RPGs and platformers. I've recently been in a kind of fantasy/adventure mood so any titles like that are right up my alley~
Old Posted 08-16-2017, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
mGBA shouldn't be crashing... uh... pretty much ever. It's not doing anything crazy enough to give computers trouble -- the worst that should happen is some slowdown. If you get crashes, you should report them so Endrift can fix them.

I can recommend Sword of Mana for GBA or Final Fantasy Adventure for GB. They're the same game (Sword is a remake of FFA) and each one has its advantages -- FFA's soundtrack sounds better in my opinion and the game balance is steadier, while Sword of Mana has waaaaay better graphics, generally better play control, a lot more character options, and a second storyline to play through.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #5  
Harvest Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon
Old Posted 08-16-2017, 08:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I can recommend Sword of Mana for GBA or Final Fantasy Adventure for GB. They're the same game (Sword is a remake of FFA) and each one has its advantages -- FFA's soundtrack sounds better in my opinion and the game balance is steadier, while Sword of Mana has waaaaay better graphics, generally better play control, a lot more character options, and a second storyline to play through.
I've never heard of Sword of Mana :o Seems cool though after a quick google. I'm a fan of more recent Final Fantasy's, so I should delve into the older ones and those like it. Thanks for the rec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown.exe View Post
Harvest Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon
HOW did i forget about Harvest Moon??
Old Posted 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
It's not really a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy Adventure was designed as a completely different game that just had some FF genre callbacks like having moogles and chocobos, and it launched its own separate side series (called Seiken Densetsu in Japan and the Mana series in the US).

Similarly, the Final Fantasy Legend series is actually the SaGa series and they just slapped the Final Fantasy name on it for the Western release to try to capitalize on the series' popularity. (I do also recommend this series, though. It has FANTASTIC music, interesting mechanics, and reasonably good story.)

If you want an actual Final Fantasy game, check out Final Fantasy V Advance. I loved that game.

Old Posted 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
i'm a huge fan of monster rancher advance and monster rancher advance 2. i have 2 copes of each of those games irl, that's how much i love them.

Old Posted 08-17-2017, 03:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #9  
Mother 3.

Even if I haven't played it yet (where's that time compressor when we need it?) it's been heavily recommended to me.

Final Fantasy Adventure is a great one, as is Final Fantasy V.

Dragon Quest/Warrior is also high on my list.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I've found that Dragon Warrior hasn't aged as well as I would have hoped. The series doesn't hold my interest the way it used to.

Dragon Warrior Monsters for Game Boy I played the MESS out of but it's a lot less fun when you don't have other people to play with.

Old Posted 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #11  
Dragon Quest 3 is still one of my favorite games though, even after all these years.

But I suspect this has much to do with personal preference XD

Dragon Quest Monsters is an excellent game as well, definitely.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Hands down seconding Mother 3. I was bored one day, and saw this game with cute pixels. I went in blind, and it became my favorite RPG game ever.

dec 14
S A U C Y
「art by mdom」
✦✦✦
Old Posted 08-17-2017, 05:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #13  
Uh...I'll have to check all the ones I hav at home actually, but I second the Harvest moon suggestion, also...anything Fire Emblem and also Summon Night. Oh and Riviera: The Promised Land.
Old Posted 08-17-2017, 06:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
These are the best!! I've made these into a list. C: definitely have enough games titles to research and playthrough! Thanks guys!!
Old Posted 08-18-2017, 09:35 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #15  
For Emulators I really enjoyed the Visual Boy Advance. Also if you're looking for good RPGs everything above plus Advance Wars! Loved that series. :) Also Golden Sun!
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 08-21-2017, 09:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
VBA is crap. >.> It has traction from having been around a long time, one of the first to get reasonably good compatibility, but compared to mGBA or Higan it's awful. Bad performance, bad stability, bugs...

Old Posted 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
emulator, gameboy, gba, recommendations