Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Fresh meat :D
Default Anyone up for an Art Debate/Discussion?   #1  
What I'm talking about here is basically, we'd do what you'd do in an Art Appreciation club or class, or what you'd do if you were *actually* appreciating a piece at a museum or whatnot. I'll post a piece, we'll discuss it. Anyone interested? I've just been craving this sort of thing lately, is all. :)
"Of all the objects of hatred, a woman once loved is the most hateful." - Max Beerbohm
Old Posted 09-27-2013, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
um, i was in an appreciation class and what we did was look at slides did essays and learned about why what we saw was important XD there was not much 'appreciating' going on
Old Posted 09-28-2013, 12:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #3  
Hm, sure. Sounds interesting...though depending on what kind of piece, I might be more prone to critique.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-28-2013, 12:30 AM Reply With Quote  
I was thinking maybe starting with some older pieces, maybe from the Impressionist era? I'd be willing to do any style, though, really.
"Of all the objects of hatred, a woman once loved is the most hateful." - Max Beerbohm
Old Posted 09-28-2013, 12:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Default   #5  
Sounds like fun. I'm in. :)
Just don't expect me to type too much. I may not have time or feel like typing that much for this. >_>

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 09-28-2013, 04:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Click the image for a bigger version.

Starting in a simple place, then. This is a well known painting, called "Las Meninas" by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age. The piece currently resides at El Museo del Prado in Madrid. The painting's dimensions stand at 10' 5" x 9' 1". It was completed in 1656.
Discussion: BEGIN~!
Old Posted 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #7  
By Appreciation do you mean, its value in art history or do you mean its quality as a painting? Because by its wealth of symbolism and place in history I am sure this painting is pretty valuable however I am not much of a fan of this period of art history. Or Velazquezs style. Though he does have a certain realism that I like though I prefer the Dutch painters of this period or the Italians. I feel it is too cluttered and there for showing off the artist rather then the girl.
Old Posted 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM Reply With Quote