Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wanderer
Default   #33  
Hah, true.

...Back on topic. I was looking at characters designs for MMORPGs and stuff some time ago. Someone needs to explain to me why anyone would fight in a bikini top and very short shorts/skirts...If you're in any sort of battle, you'd want to wear at LEAST some leather armor, right...? And TBH, your torso is a highly vulnerable area.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
well... i think it used to be the stronger you were the less armor you wore because you were so awesome you didn't need it?
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 12:58 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #35  
I do hate the whole "chainmail bikini" trope. >B| Nobody can fight in that crap.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Last edited by Lucid:; 12-03-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
As I said, I had to modify my understanding of the situation in order to account for the fact that some girls like chainmail bikinis. Not just accept them, but like them and seek them out.

The chainmail bikini isn't intended to be armor at all, thematically speaking. (That it provides statistics is simply game mechanics and isn't necessarily correlating with why such equipment is desirable.) It is, rather, psychological -- it says "I'm powerful and confident, I don't need armor to beat you, and I like being sexy."

I wouldn't be surprised if these women are in the minority, but they exist and they deserve a voice too.

But I would love to see more women like Samus Aran or Sgt. Calhoun who wear full body armor yet still know how to hold onto their femininity.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 04:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #37  
xD I like to try and get the item mall/shop costumes because half the time the female armors look ridiculous.. besides fighting in a chinese dress wearing cat ears is awesome =o

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I'd fight in the Japanese and Korean outfits that I have in Aion if only they ddn't take up the Tops slot and have no stats attached to them.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #39  
I hate the costume items now have certain stat boosters to them =(

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
As I said, I had to modify my understanding of the situation in order to account for the fact that some girls like chainmail bikinis. Not just accept them, but like them and seek them out.

The chainmail bikini isn't intended to be armor at all, thematically speaking. (That it provides statistics is simply game mechanics and isn't necessarily correlating with why such equipment is desirable.) It is, rather, psychological -- it says "I'm powerful and confident, I don't need armor to beat you, and I like being sexy."

I wouldn't be surprised if these women are in the minority, but they exist and they deserve a voice too.

But I would love to see more women like Samus Aran or Sgt. Calhoun who wear full body armor yet still know how to hold onto their femininity.
i'm one of them... but it still is ridiculous to assume xD and i'm pretty sure [It was something in real history that less armor meant you were more bad ass
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #41  
Well, even on men, less armor meant that you valued mobility more than protection. Skilled fighters would just wear plates on the places that were most likely to get hit while leaving the rest of the body unencumbered.

A chainmail HALTER TOP would actually make a lot of sense, by this strategy. It would protect the heart, the leather underlayer would protect the breasts, and it would leave the waist and shoulders unrestricted for greater freedom of motion, AND it would still satisfy people who want to see a lot of skin on the character.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM Reply With Quote