Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default MSN causing problems?   #1  
Anyone have problems with the latest MSN being a pain? The one that comes with the windows elements bundle thing. (I tried to get the program without the rest of it but it wouldn't work.) It gets slow, closes for no apparent reason, and I'm beginning to suspect that it's also has a hand in bluescreening my laptop.

I'm running Windows 7 but the comp originally came with Vista. Not sure if that matters but I had to put the lot back on when I got my comp repaired and Future Shop re-installed Vista.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I haven't used the first-party MSN Messenger client in YEARS. I switched to Pidgin and never looked back.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-19-2012, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #3  
MSN gave me problems ages ago so i never use it anymore. =/

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 11-19-2012, 10:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, that messenger is being discontinued I heard since they also own skype and people are leaving windows live/msn messenger for skype...so yeah that's what I heard -shrugs-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998
Old Posted 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #5  
Dangit! I don't like skype! And MSN works nicely with my e-mail! Sigh. Oh well. If that's the case then I suppose I can stop putting my computer through convulsions when MSN is a pain. I do like it better though. Skype seems to put more of a drain on my computer.
Old Posted 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Then switch to AIM or GoogleTalk.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 12:20 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
AIM is even worse.

Part of my snag is what the people I talk to have. 90% of my chatting is on MSN and a few people on MSN rarely use -or don't have- Skype. Working on expanding my Skype contact this though. My email is still through hotmail though.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Oh heavens, don't use the first-party AIM client either. The third-party clients have been better than the first-party ones for YEARS. AIM 4.1 was the last good first-party client, and I used it until I couldn't use it anymore.

Anyway, your buddies are going to be facing the same problem -- MSN's going away, and they're going to have to move. You might as well start spreading the word.

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:26 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #9  
I honestly though MSN had closed down all ready... I moved on to Skype about 3 years ago, and since then most my friends have also made the change.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I actually have to agree with Quiet that I really don't like Skype, but I've gotta use it. x.x

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #11  
if it allowed multi-video calls and screen without you having to pay I would love Skype.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, there are these things called groups/conference. Use them...or go to one of those streaming websites and stream yourself XD

Hell, I'm thinking of getting rid of skype. I don't do anything on it really...then I won't have any messengers.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #13  
yeah, but the group conference feature costs now, does it not? both the things i listed are thing i use to use on skype all the time, and now have to pay for...

and i'm well aware there are other ways to di it, i was just saying skype would be perfect if i could do it on there.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
No it doesn't. I was in a chat room with a ton of friends. We were live reading 50 shades of gray and cracking at it.

And it would let me answer with video if I wanted to.

Also, apparently the msn contacts move over doesn't work unless you don't already have a skype. I tried and nothing was moved over. So those contacts will literally be lost to me -shrugs-
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
Ducky meant video chat with more than two people... I actually don't know if that's even POSSIBLE with Skype. o.o

Old Posted 11-20-2012, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
I don't see why not...since when we're doing a group call it offers me the option of doing a video call/answer/whatever instead of just voice. And I think we have done it before, you just all have to be in the same call.
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 12:59 AM Reply With Quote