Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Microphone problems   #1  
Laptop is a Toshiba C55 C5241

I tried uninstalled and rebooting my laptop to get the microphone to work.

The base microphone doesn't seem to work no matter what, is not disabled, is the default.

I plug in my headset which now only works in USB 2.0 for some reason....the microphone does not work using Windows 10 camera. Idk why, but it works in OBS...and I can also tell windows to let me listen to myself through the headphones and it works there too.

Wat do?

Update: Okay, for some reason it does not have the internal mic listed, only the jack....found headphones to plug in to test it.

(In other words, Save me Coda, you're my only hope XD -le joke-)
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 09-04-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 01:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I'm not especially good at Windows troubleshooting but I can take a few guesses.

If a reboot doesn't help, I don't know what's up with your internal mic. That might be a lost cause from me; take it to a professional about that one.

But to get your USB headset recognized in Windows 10 Camera, you probably need to set it to be the default recording device. You can do this by right-clicking the volume icon in the system tray, clicking Recording Devices, select the headset in the list that comes up, and click Set As Default.

Your laptop might also support a 3.5mm TRRS headset instead of a USB one; that is, a headset that plugs into the headphone jack and its plug has four metal parts ("tip, ring, ring, sleeve") instead of the usual three. These are usually sold as cell phone accessories but laptops nowadays often accept them.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 10:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
Well, I found out the the internal built in mics are recognized at all (I sent it off to be fixed and supposedly he copied my entire hard drive to this new one)....but I swear they worked before D:

It supports USB, otherwise why would OBS record it? (OBS is software on my computer, if it didn't support USB, it shouldn't be able to record it, right?)

I'd like to state, I did try google first, but after awhile they were all the same troubleshooting...Idk if I suck at googling, or few people have had this problem?
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 09-04-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
OBS is a far more advanced piece of software. It's perfectly happy to combine sound from any input you have connected. If my assumptions are correct, on the other hand, Camera is a pretty wimpy thing. It isn't especially configurable; it only wants to work with the default input.

I imagine it's not a particularly common problem. Most people aren't going to have to deal with their default input device breaking.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 05:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
My default isn't even reading as existing on my computer for some reason....and the USB mic....the camera app was recording it until I got it back from repair.

I think it will record with my horrible pair of headphones though, one where the mic makes noise constantly.
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Oh. Huh. That's weird. I've got a handful of possible speculations for what could be wrong, but none of them really do me any good in helping you fix it. :(

Old Posted 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #7  
That's my point, it's weird. There's probably a setting somewhere he messed with to mess up the usb mic working with my webcam.

No clue what he did to make the built in mic disappear. If you have nay guesses on that, let me know D:
Old Posted 09-04-2017, 08:58 PM Reply With Quote