Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In
View Poll Results: Do you like Nuzlocke runs of Pokemon games?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 1 11.11%
What's a Nuzlocke? 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

L.E.D Sheep
Default Nuzlockes: Yay or Nay?   #1  
I've been stuck on watching Nuzlockes from YouTube lately, on top of doing a run of Pokemon Yellow where all of my Pokemon are named like their members of an Italian mafia. I'm curious if anyone else plays Pokemon games with Nuzlocke, or other Locke type rule sets, and if so how did you do? Did you get frustrated, win, lose, fear giving it a shot? Let me know! I feel like doing a Let's Play in the future, I'd love to get some feedback from you guys in the future if I do.
Old Posted 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Me, personally... I'd probably play a Pokemon-like game if it were built with some Nuzlocke-like rules built into the core mechanic, especially if it wasn't optional. That would encourage the game to be balanced and designed around that mechanic, making it a more cohesive game. It would improve on the flavor of it and it would help to ensure that the game remains meaningfully playable.

But as it stands, that's not why I play Pokemon. I want to collect them all. I want to build a good team. I want to be able to go up against other players fairly instead of based on who rolled better dice earlier in the game. I want the game's challenge to come from having harder opponents to overcome.

But give me a game where Poke Balls are so ridiculously expensive that you're mostly leaning on the ones you get for free (but crank up their effectiveness to balance it out) and Pokemon permanently die if they lose in battle, and balance the game around that, and I think you could actually have a pretty good game.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #3  
I download Roms that specifically have Nuzlockes on them.
Its sad there used to be a time where there were hundreds of people making new Nuzlocke comics at a time, now they all finished or people just don't want to draw comics anymore. That or they are just not funny or entertaining whatsoever. X. X.

Old Posted 07-29-2017, 11:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
XCOM games are kind of Nuzlockey, I think.

The idea of playing pokemon games like that is interesting, but I've never tried it myself.
Old Posted 07-29-2017, 07:22 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Me, personally... I'd probably play a Pokemon-like game if it were built with some Nuzlocke-like rules built into the core mechanic, especially if it wasn't optional. That would encourage the game to be balanced and designed around that mechanic, making it a more cohesive game. It would improve on the flavor of it and it would help to ensure that the game remains meaningfully playable.

But as it stands, that's not why I play Pokemon. I want to collect them all. I want to build a good team. I want to be able to go up against other players fairly instead of based on who rolled better dice earlier in the game. I want the game's challenge to come from having harder opponents to overcome.

But give me a game where Poke Balls are so ridiculously expensive that you're mostly leaning on the ones you get for free (but crank up their effectiveness to balance it out) and Pokemon permanently die if they lose in battle, and balance the game around that, and I think you could actually have a pretty good game.
You can actually download Pokemon games like this! Pokemon Uranium had Nuzlocke options built in that you can turn on at the beginning of the game before you start. I have to mirror what @Tohopekaliga said, XCOM is definitely the "Lose a Party Member for good" type of game. Even if you aren't "catching" creatures.

How well have you done on Nuzlock runs @Illusion?
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 09:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I did specifically say "especially if it wasn't optional". Uranium's gameplay isn't balanced around that factor.

Fire Emblem, on the other hand, is.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #7  
Oh yeah Fire Emblem is a great example, I should have remembered that.
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I like the idea of a Nuzlocke, but not sure if I'd ever want to actually play that way myself. I do like the idea but like Coda......I want to catch everything when I play Pokémon ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
I download Roms that specifically have Nuzlockes on them.
Its sad there used to be a time where there were hundreds of people making new Nuzlocke comics at a time, now they all finished or people just don't want to draw comics anymore. That or they are just not funny or entertaining whatsoever. X. X.
I never really encountered any of the Nuzlocke comics even though I know they exist. My friend is in the middle of writing and drawing one based off her Nuzlocke from Pokémon Moon though, which I'm excited for. She hasn't yet gotten to a point where it's being posted yet though. I'm pretty sure hers will be both funny and fully entertaining because she has quite a talent for storytelling :)

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #9  
@Serra That's super cool! Let me know where she'll be posting it, I'd love to read it.

I agree that I like playing Pokemon to catch a bunch of them but after I've beat the game I like to go through it again to see what the Pokemon I didn't catch are like and to just have a more challenging playthrough. Elite Four is way more entertaining to take on when you only have one shot at it, still need to make it to them though, furthest I've gotten is the electric gym in Black before wiping to N. Screw that flying totem pole looking Pokemon!
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 05:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I know it will go up on her DA: http://jocelynsamara.deviantart.com and probably on Comic Fury too, but I don't have a URL for that one of course ^^;

I know I'm really looking forward to it.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
I know it will go up on her DA: http://jocelynsamara.deviantart.com and probably on Comic Fury too, but I don't have a URL for that one of course ^^;

I know I'm really looking forward to it.
Yoooooooo! Tell your friend Jocelyn she's hella cute! And she, I think, likes the same Boku no Hero Academia character that I do! Ashido Mina all the way scrubs! Looking forward to her comic to go up!
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 08-01-2017, 09:12 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
I like the idea of a Nuzlocke, but not sure if I'd ever want to actually play that way myself. I do like the idea but like Coda......I want to catch everything when I play Pokémon ^^;

I never really encountered any of the Nuzlocke comics even though I know they exist. My friend is in the middle of writing and drawing one based off her Nuzlocke from Pokémon Moon though, which I'm excited for. She hasn't yet gotten to a point where it's being posted yet though. I'm pretty sure hers will be both funny and fully entertaining because she has quite a talent for storytelling :)
I highly recommend going to the original Nuzlocke site and going to the forums. People share their Nuzlockes on the forums or links to the sites they made to host their comics.

I wish I remembered the name of some of the very good ones I read, a lot of them finished and had sequel comics. Though the one I do remember, Notepaddle's comics are amazing. He combines some fun animations for some comic chapters and you get hilarity like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZRRfvLxG4

Old Posted 08-02-2017, 02:28 AM Reply With Quote