Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

It's ALIVE
Default Help with looking for new technology   #1  
For the past couple years (7-8) I've gone through 3 laptops total, including this one. Currently, my mic went out a few months ago, I'm starting to have issues with keys, and it runs so slow with the program I want to run!

I've been discussing thinking about getting a new one for a while but it was never a "right now" kind of thought. Well now it has turned into one XD

So I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what kind of laptop (Or help create a desktop, I have an OLD one I can replace parts in) that would be good for more use then having 4 tabs open and 2 chats?
In the future I want to be able to have an obs to livestream doing more digital art, Also I need to be able to have enough room for art programs. I currently only have Gimp 2.8 running, and that ran by just itself kills my computer response time to 20-30 seconds of waiting T.T

I would also love to game. I have tried to do stuff on here but the most I can do is some browser flash games (I tried running clicker heroes Idle off of steam, had so many problems with it T.T) I want the possibility to actually have space to download and ACTUALLY play the games at a decent quality.

My current laptop is an HP with windows 8. I was able to get this screencap for info if it will help. . .
and can get more screencaps later if they help >.>

So what questions should I be asking? Should I build it myself or is there one good for me already out there?
What do I do I am so lost XD I used to watch my dad building computers and helped him out with them but I don't remember everything so it's been a very frustrating time D:

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Building laptops yourself isn't really a thing that happens. ;)

The main problem with the laptop you have right now is that it was a bargain-basement model when it was new. You could probably recover some performance by getting Windows 10 and doing a clean install of it, but that won't help with the hardware issues.

If you want to game, you're probably better off with a desktop. They're usually cheaper than laptops of equivalent specs. They have better cooling, which is important for stuff that's going to be using a lot of power. You don't want to play most games with a touchpad. And they can have much bigger hard drives.

You don't necessarily need a full-blown gaming rig; midrange equipment will play games acceptably well if you don't turn the graphics settings up all the way.

A few points of advice in terms of what to shop for, whether desktop or laptop:

* Get one with an i5 processor. i7's cost too much for not enough benefit for your particular needs, and a computer with an i3 going to be built as a budget machine so everything else in it is ALSO going to be low-end.

* Make sure you have at least 8GB of RAM. 6GB is an acceptable compromise if you can't find one in your price range with 8, but it WILL make a difference. This is easily upgraded in a desktop.

* Games take up a lot of space, so you should probably prefer a computer with a larger HDD (1TB or higher) instead of getting one with an SSD, which would give you faster loading times but much less space.

* Integrated Intel graphics have come a long way in the last few years and they're not the complete crap they used to be, but if you intend to play higher-end 3D games you're going to want to shop for a computer with GeForce (nVidia) or Radeon (AMD) graphics. (I personally prefer GeForce.) Again, this can be upgraded easily in a desktop, so if you get Intel graphics and it turns out not to work for you that's something that can be taken care of at a later time.

Building your own PC isn't generally something I recommend nowadays unless you're trying to put together a high-end machine. For midrange systems, an off-the-shelf computer is usually cheaper than you can build from parts.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-20-2017, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #3  
Of course not building your own laptop, I did mean a desktop when I said that xD
Plus with desktops as the computer world upgrades you can easily upgrade without having to toss out an entire computer.
Like I mentioned I used to build them with my dad so the putting together part isnt the hard part it was temembering wtf meant what xD He also often used nVidia cards, now that you mentioned it.
In the long run I would like a nice (low) high end machine, but getting a midgrade with the possibilty of upgrades sounds like the best way to go to achieve both instant gratification and long term xD

I feel like there are more questions I can ask but I will wait until I can sit and think not at work and on the mobile sitr ;D
Thanks so much Coda <3

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Just going to toss in my thoughts here, in case you hadn't decided on a course of action yet. :) I used to custom build my desktop in the past, but it never worked out quite how I wanted in the end. I have since found a magical website for desktops and laptops and my friends and I all go there for our tech now. So just wanted to share the love. It's www.ibuypower.com and it's awesome and simple to use. You can take all the great advice that Coda gave and apply it at this site with a custom build if you want. And the customer service is really good too. :)
Old Posted 04-02-2017, 11:05 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
computer, diy, laptop, processor, technology