Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Illusionist
Default   #33  
I imagine that if they removed the two, they would change the game accordingly. Your talking about how the game as is wouldn't work since they designed parts of the game behind those two mechanics. Granted Zelda has worked for years without weapon durability or a stamina meter.

I feel like I'm constantly holding onto my better weapons like elixirs from Final Fantasy for that eventual fight that may never happen. Not to mention there is a rock, paper, scissor formula in the game and if you don't have the right weapon your screwed with the monsters that can knock your hearts down to 1 in one hit because "balance." They break way to easily even when I do use them, and I'm way too restricted with inventory sizes. Needless to say once I get fun weapon I like it's destroyed moments later and it's pointless to go hunt for it again. Not to mention these weapons were probably made by the worst blacksmiths ever known to Hyrule, probably made out of duct tape and foam.

It's really bullshit. I can pass off the Stamina meter for few instances, but when you spend a long time trying to climb a mountain and just a wee bit off, it's a pain in the ass to climb back up again. Or worse it rains and your already there but fall down because you slip then can't make it the rest of the way up and then fall. And once you do about 20 shrines to get the Stamina meter to a point I consider a respectful amount, I'm still easily restricted to a lot of the same problems I had before, but now Link isn't tired out over nothing.

I like the game for so many reasons, but I also have a con for every positive as well. By far one of the better games I've played in the past few years, but it's hardly in my top 5 favorite Zelda games. (1 Majoras Mask > 2 A Link to the Past > 3 Twilight Princess > 4 Wind Waker > 5 A Link Between Worlds)

Last edited by Illusion; 03-14-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old Posted 03-14-2017, 02:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
They would have designed the game around that different choice of mechanics, yes, but then it wouldn't be this game. It would be more linear, less dynamic... more traditional.

You need to break yourself of that feeling. The limited inventory is explicitly to discourage hoarding. The lack of a repair mechanic for all but three weapons is the same. You should treat weapons like ammunition -- you don't sweat over not picking up a box of bullets. The game gives you enough weaponry through normal gameplay that the only thing getting in your way is your own OCD. The game is specifically trying to encourage you to USE the things it gives you.

Again: If you sequence-broke ahead in the game and grabbed an advanced weapon, that would make all of the weapons before that point in the game almost completely meaningless. Have you ever been playing a Final Fantasy game, excited when you reach a new town because of the opportunity for upgrades, and the stuff you find there is weaker than the stuff you already have? This mechanic is a solution to that problem.

There absolutely is not that kind of weapon type rock-paper-scissors going on, at least not by design. (There is elemental RPS, but not weapon type.) That's one of the "emergent" things that the game designers are so proud of -- they support a variety of different play styles that require different skills to be proficient at, but no encounter in the game demands any specific one of them (except for a small number that require archery). If you feel like some weapon types work better against some enemies, that's not because the game is built that way -- it's because you, personally, play better that way.

Ultimately, what you're complaining about is that Breath of the Wild isn't the game you wanted. And that's a very different argument from "this is a bad mechanic." You are welcome to not like it, but there is nothing objectively wrong with the mechanics -- they are among the best implementations of those mechanics of any game I have ever seen.

For me, BotW IS in my top tier: Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds are the only ones that beat it on my list (we agree on them being excellent), and Majora's Mask is at the bottom with only OoT below it.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #35  
Is the exploration part like Skyrim? Suppose you could say vast, lost in the Windermere, vast, ETC.
Old Posted 03-14-2017, 06:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
According to some calculations, Breath of the Wild's map is ~9x larger than Skyrim's, but it doesn't FEEL like that playing the game. I suspect that's because of the game's design.

For starters, I think Link is faster than the Dragonborn. He's DEFINITELY more mobile. Link's fast travel is more convenient and has more available targets, and he can fly and climb mountains.

At that scale, each tower region is about 2/3 the size of the whole of Skyrim, but the game does a pretty good job of making sure you're never just wandering the wilderness unless you really have a reason to want to -- and if you DO want to, there's usually stuff to discover (even if it's just Koroks).
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #37  
Oh awesome, thanks for the info. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. I was looking at a few pics and was hoping it was something like you described. I always loved just wandering off the beaten path and exploring. Sounds like my kind of game. It having such a huge map adds to it. Thanks again.
Old Posted 03-19-2017, 06:01 AM Reply With Quote