Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Weaver of Webs
Default   #17  
Chidi's face morphed from one of sadness and anger to one of confusion, followed the sick revelation. A knot formed into her stomach, and seemingly on her tongue as she looked first at the bard, then down to Nanika to confirm. When the confirmation came, she looked back at Tritonia, mouth growing dry.

“I won't take your money,” Nanika said, scoffing, “I'm here because I have no choice. Chidi, you have to understand. I told her to leave, she drew the attention of all of the patrons and when I told her I would find you another place to live and prosper, she told me she'd ruin that too. She's now suggesting she hire you as a retainer...”

Chidi tried to wet her lips, slowly shaking her head as if that could never be a possibility. As the thought began to settle in her head, she realized that she didn't really have a say in the matter. Her reputation in this city, at least, was ruined for what could potentially be forever. She knew Nanika had connections, but she knew from experience that the bard had full capability of hunting them down and, as Nanika had hinted, ruining her life there as well. “How much will I be getting paid?” she finally croaked.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"You can continue to blame me, or you can blame yourself for not keeping control of the whole situation." Tritonia interjected, snapping her focus on Nanika and fidgeting her clawed fingers and then raking them down the door; strips of wood flaking down onto the ground to demonstrate what she was capable of should physical retaliation be attempted. Not that Tritonia was particularly afraid. A whore and her mistress? It would have been like swatting flies. Flies that had been on top of too many men for her own tastes.

Negotiation had begun of course, and Tritonia laughed and tilted her head to the side. "Those bags of gold your mistress refuses to take. I can pay you that every week. You'd probably make more under my heel than you would with her, of course." Tritonia cooed, blowing a patronizing kiss towards Nanika and then flicking a tongue across her lips - The bard settling snake's eyes on Chidi. "A more precise payment would be 200 gold coins a week. Non-negotiable. Unless, you really want to take the risks of coming to your feet on your own. I won't stop you. I'm sure -other- people might."
"I just want to come home," said the Astronaut.
"So come home," said Ground Control.
"So come home," said the Voice from the Stars.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort.
He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”
Death sighed. NO, he said,... THERE'S JUST ME.
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #19  
Chidi understood. Chidi understood, and the thought disgusted her. But the gold wasn't the only thing that was non-negotiable. For all intents and purposes, she was a hostage. No matter where she went, this bard would be there to follow her, haunt her...destroy her. The amount she would be paid sounded like entirely too much, especially as she didn't know what all a retainer needed to do - let alone one for someone as terrible as this. Her mind reeled until Nanika grasped her shoulders, wiping away a tear she didn't realize had escaped. "Shh...it'll be okay," she said, sliding a piece of paper into Chidi's pocket, "You're adaptable. You'll figure it out. As for this whole situation?" she said tossing her head back to gesture to Tritonia, "You are still your own person. It is as she said, you cantry to make it on your own and I'm sure you'd be taken in. You have the choice, just as you always have. You're welcome here any time and there is no rush for you to leave; you know that."

Chidi swallowed and nodded as Nanika kissed her on either side of her face, squeezed her shoulder, and turned to leave. Now, she was alone with her potential employer, and her eyes now went to the floor trailing back up to Tritonia's face. "Well? What do I do to start?"
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"I do like to mention the fact if you don't except, I will probably take my anger out on your former mistress." Tritonia added, making the negotiations into more or less a hostage situation, the bard oblivious to the passing of paper between hands. Tritonia huffed and flared her nostrils out, before brushing her hair and waiting for an answer with tapping feet. "Welcome here anytime. Pfft. Like we'll be coming back to this decrepit pit in the future."

Tritonia watched Nanika with suspicious intent when she walked by, barely letting her have the room to leave the doorway before she was alone with Chidi; the bard kicking the door closed behind her now that she had Chidi to herself. The question was met with a grin, the bard moving over to Chidi and brushing metal hands against the woman's cheek. "For starters, hyou can start packing your belongings. We're going back to the Midlands. Because this place is hideous."

Old Posted 07-19-2018, 10:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #21  
The grin that the bard gave did anything but give Chidi comfort. A chill ran down her spine and she took her question to mean acceptance. Now, she was resigned to deal with the bard's antics and whatever she had in store for her.

She hoped she survived.

Metal against skin and Chidi sucked in, freezing in place, not knowing what else the bard could weaponize. Ironically enough, this was more sensual than the bard had been even when she was a whore and being paid as such. "I've...never been to the Midlands. Perhaps there will be some good of this yet..." Chidi immediately went to grab a pack, stuffing it with one or two changes of clothes and a journal. She had many things, but as she was less than eager to carry it all, she figured perhaps Nanika could sell it and make back some of what she was losing by losing her best employee - and only employee that was openly willing to sleep with female clients. She was ready to leave in less than five minutes and she breathed, resigning herself to a harsh future on the road with a less than desirable companion. "Alright. I'm ready. Lead me away."

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-19-2018, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"Well, once you're there, you're gonna never wanna come back here. I assure you." Tritonia hummed, the fingers stroking the woman's cheek moving down towards her neck. Once they were there the bard clamped down on her trachea, and pulled the woman close; letting her incensed eyes burn holes through the woman's skull. "I'm also going to let you know this. I swindled you out of your life. I know this. Try and harm me, and I will leave you to the people I know would have the most fun with your carcass." Tritonia growled, shoving her away while adjusting herself. She was already getting to worked up tormenting Chidi. She had to wean the woman into it first.

Once her composure was regained, the bard sat beside the strangled woman only to watch her begin to pack clothing. "I'm having you leavee the room first. If only to make sure if Nanika is there with a crossbow, it kills you first. Retainers are expendable. People such as myself? We are not."

Old Posted 07-20-2018, 12:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #23  
"Even if I go there with you? I guess we'll see about that," Chidi uttered, her brief elation at the thought of travel ceasing the moment she was back in front of her new employer. Again, metal fingers caressed her cheeks and she felt the familiar chill creep down her spine despite the heat of the lower kingdoms spilling through the cracks and windows of her former home. Speckles of raised skin dotted her arms, and her golden eyes met Tritonia's for a brief moment before those same fingers formed a clamp around her throat. Those eyes widened as the owner attempted to gasp, her own hands trying to wrench them from their spot around her neck. Tritonia was strong, however, and her grip didn't loosen, her words the only anchor to reality as a lack of oxygen created spots in her vision.

She couldn't ever cause harm to her employer.

If it wasn't known before, it certainly was now, and with a moment to let the words sink in, soon the clamp was loosened and Chidi fell to her knees, gasping in lungfuls of precious air. One hand fumbled to grasp at her meager pack and she nodded, “F-fine. Dying is preferable anyway...” After a moment of recuperation, she was back on her feet and haggard looking. Instead of a crossbow, Nanika was nowhere to be found. Chidi put a hand over her pocket, knowing that that was intentional. “No crossbow. I don't know where we're going, so lead the way, I guess.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Tritonia huffed and rolled her eyes at Chidi, sticking out her tongue and letting her voice carry into a nasally mockery of the woman's own tone. "Dying is preferable anyway. Meh, meh, meh. Everyone thinks the solution to a horrid situation is just hoping something kills them." Flicking her wrists and letting the metal gloves she was clad in rattle a bit and ring, the bard settled her eyes once they were done circumnavigating the room and honed in on the dark-skinned woman with disdain. "People should just try growing a set, and then do something to change their situation."

Crossbow and potential assassination averted, the Bard brushed past Chidi and hummed a few notes that sounded like a night terror peeling the paint from walls, Tritonia took a few last inhales of the air in the brothel before yawning and forcing the door to the populace open with a few hand; using the other limb to shield her eyes from the invading daytime that slammed her face - along with the blast of heat from the Southern Lands that reminded herself that she was stuck in this philistine hellhole. And it even worse, she was trading one inhospitable biodome for another. "Every been to the jungles in the Far West? Because that's where we're headed. Provided you're not a tart the entire travel there, I'll consider buying a carriage or something from town to town."

Old Posted 08-27-2018, 10:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #25  
Already, Chidi's patience grew thin - and she was known to be a bastion of the virtue. "So," she said, flaring her nostrils, "What do you recommend as a solution to the problem, considering the problem is you?" Shifting her pack over her shoulder, her eyes focused in on Tritonia's face and she dared let a smirk appear across her features, "And either your bulge is quite pathetic, or you seem to be doing just fine at least by your own standards without one. So tell me, how would growing a set aid in my cause?"

She stepped forward a bit, feeling the pressure of the bard shoving passed and huffed, rolling her eyes. The bard, after all, wasn't looking at her. The heat was expected by the Southerner and she looked out at the city that she wasn't sure she'd be returning to with any immediacy and shook her head, "Never been out of the city. Can't say I know much about survival in the wilderness either. You're certain you want me as a companion?"

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-02-2018, 01:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"My bulge has won many an awards, I can assure you." Tritonia droned, rolling her eyes and administering a bit of discipline in the form of a stomp of boots onto the girl's feet. Filthy southerners with too big a mouth were gonna learn real quick in that regard. "I seem to forget that your kind. Southern. Whore. Most likely inbred, tend to take things in the literal. Explains the state of affairs for your people."

Tritonia snorted and flicked the woman in her nose; the bard sneering at her with the disdain of a thousand suns beaming in unison. "Well, you're going to learn really fast now, aren't you? On the bright side if worst comes to, I can always sever a tendon and have you left for the birds. Or bandits. Or monsters. Whatever is currently being the problem at the time that would require a hasty retreat." Tritonia said, sing-song and chipper as a small child with a new toy. This girl was going to be something extraordinary. Whether that was a good thing or not would remain to be seen.

Old Posted 09-04-2018, 10:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #27  
“I've seen better, I can assure yo—Ah!” Tritonia's heel met the top of Chidi's foot before she could realize what was happening, pain shooting up her leg. She clapped a hand over her mouth to keep quiet. Too distracted by her throbbing extremity to give a proper response, Chidi let the comment slide. Then, she wasn't sure that she could keep her normally free attitude.

She stepped back, reeling with unexpected contact to her face, blinking. "I suppose I'm going to have to," she muttered. As tempting as it was to accept that fate and die rather than spend another moment with this wretched woman, Chidi was a fighter - and if she needed to stay quiet to stay out of her way, she would. "We'll see if the situation calls for it..."

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-05-2018, 01:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Resisting the urge to continue further with any sort of physical abuse, Tritonia's face grew to a bored, tired lull that seemed to grow faster by the second - The bard stopping while they traveled to let a few of the commoners pass by them before continuing. "I'm sure you've seen plenty. That was your job, was it not? Unless no one actually admired you. Which is also something I would probably assume."

Looking at the smudge on her talons - The bored look turned to something a bit more sullen and angry and a brow quirked as she looked over towards Chidi and pondered in thought. Once they were in the jungles, Chidi would probably be faced with the usual dilemma for everyone that walked with the bard. Boredom left them in a precarious position, and Tritonia weighed her options. The Sons of Chelm always loved getting new people, be they willing to work, or if they just needed the thrill of spilling some guts and holding them out in approval from their leader. And then there was Taqwa. She knew the being wouldn't care whichever came to him, so long as one of them was suffering and pissing the floor in terror.

"I can guarantee you the situation is gonna call for it."

Old Posted 09-05-2018, 01:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #29  
Tritonia's bored look spelled trouble for Chidi, but Chidi didn't know how to solve it. Not once since meeting her had she seen an actual smile come across the woman's face, and she had no way of knowing what she could do to please her. Chidi's future was contingent on pleasing her employer and she knew it. “It was my job, yes. But I can certainly say that I was admired. I can't say that I've seen as many as you'd probably assume. No many could afford my services – my wages were paid by the few that could. And of those, only about half of them were men,” Chidi answered deciding to be informative rather than snide.

Of course, Chidi was watching the body language of the bard carefully, trying to imagine her as one of her clients. So it made sense that when she noticed Tritonia examining her nails, she raised her eyebrows. When it came to clients that were similar to the bard, yet never quite as bad, she knew that above all they enjoyed to exercise power over another. If hiring her was her method of doing that, Chidi would be happy to oblige, “Your nails...I can clean them and keep them pristine for you if you wish – I have the experience. All you'd need to do is tell me what you'd want done, and I would do it.” After she spoke, she quickly bowed her head, waiting to see how Tritonia would take her proposition. Then, quietly but still audibly added, “Please remember that I am your employee and not your slave. I reserve the right to quit should you cause any bodily harm to me.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-07-2018, 03:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Tritonia's eyes rolled with the informative slobber that dribbled out of Chidi's mouth. It was nice to know she could at least charge people a pretty penny should she ever need the money for something (Regardless of Chidi's desire to peddle herself or not.) And the bard looked towards the dark-skinned girl with a small glimmer of ennui that tarnished the eye - Tritonia yawning, the heat of the land making her a bit more tired than she desired to be. "No real desire to care, or know about the genders of your clients. Unimportant, considering the name of the game is coin." Tritonia oozed, sniffling and bringing up a hand to itch her nose. "Do yourself a favor, and never pale your skin. I need shade. And soon."

The mention of being pampered put a stopper in the foul mood brewing in the bard, and once they were walking again - the regal stride of each foot from Tritonia began anew, the woman swaying like a delicate flower being pushed by each gust of a gentle breeze. "We can start with you cleaning my nails then. As for anything else, I'll yell at you for it. I'd demand you to cook, but the last thing I need to do is wake up and have to squat in the wilds for half a day because you tried to poison me."

"And of course you'd be allowed to quit. I'm not stopping you from doing so now, dear." Tritonia hummed, mirth filling the air as she cocked her head to the side. "Of course, losing a new person is disappointing. I'd have to find another to take your place. Tell me. How fun is Nanika? Does she squirm in chains like how I imagine you would?"

Old Posted 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #31  
“Speaking of coin, is this how you get all of yours? Traveling from city to city and harassing whores?” Chidi asked, her curiosity piqued. Of course, she preferred the word 'companion' to refer to herself, but she knew the word 'whore' would resonate with this foul woman better. The amount of gold the bard promised her was an insane amount, and promising it on a regular schedule no less? She threw gold at Nanika like it was worth little more than dust. Perhaps if she worked hard, learned more skills, maybe picked up some magic, she could place herself on a pedestal the same height as Tritonia's.

They would differ, of course, as Chidi would use her powers for good.

“Even if that was an option, I would never,” she said in response to her skin tone. Her dark skin may be frowned upon in the North, but it was one of the physical attributes that Chidi liked best. She loved the shade, the way she could see the moonlight's glow reflecting off dark obsidian. “But how will my skin color give you shade?” she asked, tilting her head. “With the amount of money you're promising, I'd hold an umbrella or parasol over your head, gladly.”

If it was a handmaiden that Tritonia wanted, it was a handmaiden she was going to get. “I'll do as you request, Mistress.” The emphasis on 'mistress' was probably not necessary, so she added a little playful laugh. “I've got to say though, I'm not a bad cook, and I've no access to poison. So that's your choice.”

“I'm not quitting,” Chidi said, resolute. She would if it came to that, once they were far, far away from the capital, but only if it came to that. She wanted to use this as a learning experience...and perhaps an endurance test. “Nanika would drive you to the brink of insanity,” she said, quite honestly. “She wouldn't last a minute on the road, set in her ways with running her own business, and she is no longer young and spry. You would do much better to treat me well and keep me in your employ.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-30-2018, 03:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"People pay a premium for music that can bring about the fall of armies. That's how I make coin. And some people definitely pay more than others. At least, the fun ones pay more." Tritonia said, responding more informatively than her usual taunting banter. "If you must know, I work for a trio of people who pay. The Sons of Chelm. A bandit group led by the warlord known as Shechita. For someone with grander aims and schemes? If you've heard of the Scarlet Emperor across the seas? I serve him when needed as well. And the other one? Well, better to remain naive, and leave it at that."

Good and Evil? All a matter of perspective.

"Forgive me, I would assume you'd be able of comprehending two different things in the same sentence. I asked you to never pale your skin. While I expressed desire for shade. I forgot I'm speaking to...You." (Editor's note: The sentence was screwy, but I decided to just assume Tritonia think's Chidi is retarded lmao.) Flicking a tongue across pallid lips the bard cracked several fingers and snorted. "I'm lovely and beautiful, but I'm not dainty. I can hold my own parasol. Though I enjoy your use of a title for me. It's flattering."

"You're not a bad cook, and I'm a sensual, loving woman who just wants a husband to serve and several kids." Tritonia spat out, albeit a little more playfully and a little less venomous than normal, before her usual tone resumed, "Nanika would drive me mad? Probably. I'd sell her off the moment I could, and probably lop a hand off so I could remember her by. She does have some nice looking body parts. And I do love hands." Flicking her eyes towards Chidi, the bard stopped in her place and looked over a small market stall - finally deciding on a lurid bauble of a necklace - the Bard looking towards the stall owner and tossing him a small bag of coins before resuming on her way. She could make up some story about plucking it from the clutches of something monstrous and sell it back to some peasant or naive midlander at quadruple the cost.

Old Posted 10-01-2018, 06:02 PM Reply With Quote