Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Weaver of Webs
Default   #17  
Hell
Olivia smiled, her heart filling with warmth. She had a hard time believing that everyone in Hell truly deserved to be there, and there was the possibility that the demons there gave up the parts of them that led them to Hell to begin with. She didn't know this guy's story, but he was her ticket out of complete involuntary solitude. Did Heaven have a deaf community? That sounds amazing. Are you hearing? How do you know sign?

She was genuinely curious. She'd learned from the book they gave her that upon death, new demons are given their pique physical conditions. The deaf can hear, the blind can see. That is, unless they sacrifice that aspect of themselves. Surely, she was not the only one to give up one of her senses, surely there were others that were deaf, just like her?

Axle spun back and forth on his bar stool, thankful that such an entertaining bunch had found their way into the bar. And they were a bunch that had never met before to make the concoction all the more glorious. A slow smile crept across his face when she actually asked about something he'd dropped so nonchalantly. The girl listened. Kudos where kudos were due. “Well, for one thing. The 'trouble' you get in for killing another demon is just a large fine. They don't even deduct from your powers. Just a fine. A couple of high priced angels paid it off. Shit, I was able to pay out of pocket. And there were a few reasons, some of those you'll find arbitrary and perhaps a bit sickening, but tell me dear Inferno patron, what would you do if you saw the person most precious to you being harassed? Relentlessly? All because of the color of her skin, too. And if that harassment culminated to an attack? I killed him, and I did it slow. I've no regrets on the matter. Hopefully his soul went to create a better person.” He shook his head and looked at his chocolate milk, desperately wishing there was alcohol in it. Almost forty years later and the yearning never quite seemed to go away.

The conversation brought back some painful memories. Oh, Kady. He would have done anything for her. He would have done anything to take her place, but she was in the wrong place and even with his teleportation, he saw her too late. She'd been gotten through the heart, and he held her as she gasped her last struggling breaths. The battlefield is a terrible and wonderful place. They knew the risks when they rolled the dice, when they spun the cylinder and pulled the trigger. Kady lost and Axle won. She was gone.

And Axle remained.

Axle swallowed shaking his head. That was over twenty years ago now. The pain had mostly subsided, only coming back once in a while now. Time had mostly healed his wounds, but when he thought of her, when he remembered her face, it came crashing back in. And unlike in life, he couldn't turn to drugs to heal himself. There was no self-medication outside of the death of another.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-09-2018, 11:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Hell
Well, yes, I can hear, but over the many years of being here, I got bored. I decided that I would turn to academics for a little while. I learned to sign from some of the older books that they kept at our library. Xander signed, happy to talk to such a sweet girl. He didn't quite know why he had taken a liking to her so quickly. Although, he was enjoying the other's company as well. It was a small, yet amazing group that had gathered in the Inferno that evening. I'm sorry that we have to use such a beautiful language in a such a terrible circumstance. However, I'm thrilled to be able to use it with an absolutely gorgeous lady. Xander didn't mean to come off as a flirt, in fact, he had intended to have the opposite effect. He was just trying to be genuine.

"I would have done the same. Really." Nancy sat up straighter on the stool. "You and I may not be all so different." She took another large swig of her drink before sighing heavily. "I was put in jail for murdering my friends' rapist. And, of course, I continued to serve my own kind of justice. Eventually, I got the wrong man. I was sentenced to death and now I'm here." Nancy gestured messily around her head. "But I feel no remorse. I gave that away. Any guilt is gone and I'm glad you don't feel it either. We were right."
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #19  
Heaven
Sage tipped his glass back, dumping the contents into his mouth when his eyes went as wide as dinner plates and a mucky mud filled his mouth. Instantly, he was coughing up a black mud and he knew that even something like vodka could turn to ash. He scraped his tongue, desperately trying to get the ashy remnants off.

Kat smiled and waved her pinky at the two boys and raised her eyebrow pointing at Sage but talking to Luka, “Is your ah...friend...okay?”

The bartender laughed, “Gave up your taste, did you? Yeah, well, vodka is something that tastes like shit, but it definitely still tastes. Can't have anything without some demon blood in it.” He set a shot glass down in front of the struggling angel and nodded, “Drink this instead. Don't worry. No ash. Tried and true for angels like you.”

In an act of desperation, Sage grabbed the crimson colored shot glass and knocked it back, straightened his spine and licked his lips, “That was...that was delicious...What..what was it?” he asked, not knowing if he wanted the answer.

“That, m'boy, was your first taste of demon blood. A bit hard liquor infused with the stuff, and guys like you are able to get drunk. Congratulations, drinks just got a helluva lot more expensive for ya. First shot's on the house. Next round is on you, and if you're as new as you seem, ya might wanna get your ass to the Border and either bring your own blood that you collect in or be willing to pay extra for the others that do bring their own blood in.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 12:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Heaven
Luka observed the two ladies that had approached them. Both were stunning and wore inviting smiles. He wasn't sure if he was ready to go out to the Border. He didn't know much about Heaven or Hell, but he was sure that if he wanted to die again, that's where he could go. He didn't know how Sage would react, but he hoped that he would want to take it slow. He searched the girls for possible answers before heard Sage from behind. He sounded as though he was choking and soon Luka was turning around to find him with ash in his mouth. Oh, god. Sage, are you okay? The boy was offered a deep crimson drink that he chased the thick, clumpy ash down with. Luka was surprised to see Sage's disgusted state change immediately with the presence of demon's blood inside of him.

If this was the only way that Sage could get satisfaction, that would mean he would have to hunt. Luka knew that he didn't have to join, but he also didn't know if he could survive without hunting. It was inevitable, completely unavoidable. Luka exhaled heavily before turning to the two women. We are new and we may not be good out on the field, but we would be interested in joining you. How soon do you plan on going to the border?
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 12:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #21  
Hell
Olivia bit her lip, suddenly grateful for her parents' disability and her need to learn sign growing up. That's very responsible of you, and I'm glad you had an interest in it, Olivia signed, her hands and arms moving rapidly, her face reflecting her gladness. She felt guilty about ignoring the others, but they seemed to be in their own conversation, and she had no method of communicating with them anyway, unless they both faced her and had patience enough to let her write out responses. So she was perfectly alright with being enamored in the conversation she was in. Pale cheeks turned to roses and she bit her lip, I don't know what to say...Thank you. You're quite handsome yourself...

Axle raised his eyebrows at his companion and leaned on the bar, stirring the chocolate syrup that had settled at the bottom of his now near empty glass, “Wow. We really are the same. And yes. We were right, minus getting the wrong guy part. Next time you gotta make sure you get the right one,” Axle said tapping his temple. “But, I suppose that answers the first question most have about the others they see here. 'Why are you in Hell?' Well, why are you in Hell, Carol? Obviously we're not fuckin' perfect.” He rolled his black eyes and held an inked hand across the bar, “Name's Axle, by the way. Fellow murderer and your current bar tender. Wanna be hunting partners? I can show you the ropes.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 12:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Hell
I know. Xander chuckled jokingly. No, but really, thank you. Also, if you need me to, I can be your translator? He suggested this only because he figured it would be easier for her to communicate her thoughts if she didn't have to write them down. And, maybe, he felt like he wasn't the only person she wanted to talk to.

Nancy laughed in response. "Pleased to meet your acquaintance. I'm Nancy: fellow customer and a new demon of Hell. I would be delighted to be your hunting partner because I don't know how shit around here works."
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #23  
Heaven
Katarina's fingers gripped the handle to her mug, enjoying a good beer when she got one, and this was definitely one of the better. Nice and stout, just as she asked. The good beer, however, was not on the foreground of her thoughts and she peered over her mug to the struggling new angel, her face contorted to one of worry.

Sage put up a hand and plastered a cheeky grin on his face, “Better now! I promise...I just, I guess I just didn't think it applied to drinks as well, but I guess I did give up my ability to taste.”

The bartender laughed, “That's a bit obvious, isn't it? If you could have tasted it in life, it'll turn to ash once in your mouth. This even goes for shit like grass. Trust me on that.”

“How do you know so much about my sacrifice?” Sage asked, cocking his eyebrow at the bartender. He was now fully involved in that conversation, unaware that the two ladies had actually spoken to him because when they initiated the conversation he was in the midst of a muddy ashy crisis.

“Hey, I keep a bottle of demon blood round these parts for a reason,” he said, winking.

Katarina shook her head and smiled at Luka, “That's no matter. We can teach you. We're just sick of the stiffs up top and want to see if we can find anyone...more bearable to hunt with. It will be more difficult to deal with if one of us dies if we actually like each other, but that's why we'll have to make sure none of us die, yes?”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-11-2018, 06:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Heaven
Luka swallowed the nervous lump in his throat and nodded. Yes, we will make sure to stick out for each other. Although, still wary of these two women, Luka meant every word that he said. He was still frightened of what lay ahead, but if hunting at the Border meant that Sage could have some relief, then he would do it. What do you think, Sage?

Avani observed the white-haired boy in front of her. He looked a little shaken, like a dog when it's being yelled at. She tilted her head in confusion. If the boy was so afraid to hunt, she wondered, why would he even be willing to join their group?

"Could you remind us of your names again? Your friends' name is Sage, correct?

imanASSet
Old Posted 06-13-2018, 12:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #25  
Hell
Olivia was radiant, lighting up for the first time since she died. For the first time since she died, she didn't regret her sacrifice. She'd given up what was most precious to her – music – and left herself in solitude, and for what? Some sort of shiny weapon summoned to kill angels? She hadn't even used it yet. Was it possible it was for nothing? Xander showing up changed that. The music she could never get back, but now there was no need for solitude. That would be wonderful! And I thought I was lucky to have only one person to talk to. Do you live around here?

Axle reached his arm over the bar for her to shake and when she didn't quite grasp what it was he was trying to convey he just nodded toward his hand, “Then it's a deal. We'll be partners. I'll train ya. By the time I'm done with you, you can get a penthouse near Purgatory you'll be able to kill so many. Did you read about your abilities yet?”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-14-2018, 10:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Hell
Xander tipped his head back and laughed, his shoulders moving up and down. Here? No, no. I don't live around here. I live, well, I'll have to show some other time. Xander signed after he remembered that Olivia probably didn't have a very good idea of where things were in Hell. But, this was definitely not the best side. That might have been the reason why Xander liked to come and hang around places like these. Although, he did fancy luxurious living.

His best investment, he always thought, was his penthouse. It had the best view of this shithole. He fell in love with the sounds of war in the distance and the cold glow of a midnight sky. However, so much space did make him quite lonely. Xander was never the best at making friends, which was evident. However, this evening, in one of the shittiest bars in Hell, he had made one. I actually have extra rooms at my place. I could train you for the battlefield. You can pay me back by being my hunting buddy! Xander took a shot in the dark, but he didn't quite know how to hold onto a friend. Was he moving too fast? Was it weird for him to ask Olivia, a woman, into the house of a man she only just met? The answer: yes, very much so, but Xander was completely unaware.

Nancy grasped Axle's hand and finalized the deal. "Yes, I was actually able to read that part in my Guide. Deciphering what was written on the other pages was futile, however." She chuckled a little to herself. The book, she remembered as she held in her hands, was nearly falling apart. The guides pages were warped and the ink, once beautifully written, was running and smudged. "Since I didn't sacrifice something that was significant to me I was given the ability to become invisible to everyone, including myself."

imanASSet
Old Posted 06-14-2018, 11:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #27  
Heaven
Sage shook his head and turned from the bartender back to the conversation with his new friend. He'd gained the attention of two ladies, one dark, one white. “Hm? Sorry about that, I ah...I missed the conversation, I was learning how I can drink given my uh...my curse,” Sage muttered scratching the back of his head.

Katarina was taken aback for a moment, noticing the white hair's lips – perfectly still, saved for when he opened them to drink. She blinked a moment as the pieces fell together. His voice. That was his sacrifice. So they gave him the ability to communicate. It made her wonder what they did for those that gave up their hearing. Maybe not all were so lucky. His voice must have been precious. It was, after all, a sacrifice more readily seen than her abstract inability to forgive. She'd lost much since turning up in Heaven because of her sacrifice, but her body remained intact. “Sticking together is how you will survive, believe me on that. Are you...sure that this is something you want? To bring you up to speed, Sage was it? We were asking if you two gentlemen would like to form a hunting group. What do you say?”

Sage gulped, then took the rest of his drink the bartender gave him, “Y-yeah. Sage is right. Hoo boy. Alright. Well, I figure I can't stay in that shit hole of an apartment forever, and you feel the same way, right, Luka? But what are demons like? They were...they were people once too, right?”

Katarina glanced over to Avani and swallowed when her ice blue eyes went to Sage once more, “Well, you see...Your first time is going to be hard, unless you were a murderer in life – which is only possible if you were a soldier. They are the only ones that have ever taken a life that make it here. I'm going to...go out on a limb and guess that neither of you were soldiers.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-14-2018, 11:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Heaven
Luka hesitantly nodded, taking a sip of his drink. Of course, he was nervous. No, scratch that. He was petrified to go out and hunt. He thought it quite unfair that he was on the last leg of his senior year before he was killed and shoved into a life of murder. He didn't want to kill Demons whom, in fact, had been living, breathing human beings like himself. Although he couldn't argue with what was against him. He had to make a living and get a nicer flat. Y-yeah, no. I'm still in--I was in high school. Luka frowned a little before continuing. But I'm willing to do it if it means that I can get paid and Sage can get his Demon blood.

Luka glanced back at Sage. He didn't know why he was going against all of his morals for money and the chance to please this boy whom he barely knew.
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-15-2018, 12:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #29  
Hell
Olivia tilted her head as if wondering if she'd said something strange. But then, it made sense. Those that lived the longest would naturally accumulate more wealth. Of course he wouldn't be living in these parts, Olivia thought to herself so she signed, I'd like to see it sometime! I'm sure it's better than the shithole they gave me.

Olivia made her way to the Inferno in a desperate attempt to avoid the familiar sights of peeling wall-paper, a leaking faucet, a ticking clock – all things a normal person would hear, all things she was so used to hearing now silent. It was enough to drive a person to insanity. That was what made Xander's next signing sound tantalizing and she blinked at him for a moment as if to make sure that he'd signed correctly (or that she'd seen him correctly). When he made no sign of regretting his words, she lifted her hands,How about I stay the night for a while before we decide if I move in or not? Granted, if she stayed the night, likely she'd bring all of her belongings. There weren't many. She'd spawned in Heaven with the outfit she'd died in, and in the dresser that was provided she saw that they provided a set of sleep wear...miraculously in her size. It looked new, but she didn't know how much she trusted that. If she decided to “move in,” really, it would be in name. But...I would like to try hunting, but I am scared because I won't be able to hear them. Her face showed her worry, and she feared that she looked like a coward to one who had already seen so much.

Axle smiled, “Well then. We could probably start by getting you a phone or some way to get a hold of you. I take it you don't already have one?”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-15-2018, 12:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Hell
Xander averted his eyes and scratched the back of his neck. Right, of course. He signed hesitantly and visibly grimaced. It's only natural for you to be wary. I apologize for my over-enthusiastic behavior. Xander was choking himself on the inside. That wasn't creepy at all. And although Olivia hadn't completely declined what he thought was a very normal and kind gesture, she hadn't said no. But, it did not make the situation any less painful and awkward. But, yes, that would work out just fine.

And Olivia, you don't have to worry about that. I've got your back. Once you become accustomed to your abilities, you'll realize that you don't need to hear them coming. You'll be wonderful, I promise.

Nancy shook her head before pulling out the small amount of beginner's money. "I don't have much money, but this should be enough to buy a cheap phone, right?" She placed it on the bar; coins rolled away and the crumpled bills sat in an untidy pile. "Also, how much do I owe you for the drink?"
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-15-2018, 12:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #31  
Heaven
Sage was a bundle of emotions all hidden behind a near stoic face. First, he'd just figured out that demon's blood was better than anything he'd ever tasted. To equate it to honey would be a gross mistake. It was far more exquisite. If the thought didn't sicken him, it would have made the sacrifice worth it. They'd explained as he was making his sacrifice that he would, for all intents and purposes, need to reap the souls of demons; he knew he'd be killing. But to eat them too, to think that their flesh likely tasted even better than their blood. Hunting only seemed like the next logical step. He would have to swallow his honor to partake, and Luka was obviously uncomfortable with the topic.

But Sage? He was excited to get outside. He was excited to see everything, even if it killed him.

“And I technically would have just graduated. I was homeschooled...erm, well, towards the end it was hospital-schooled, but you get what I mean,” Sage said, shrugging. He turned to Luka, his eyes losing their luster as he saw how little Luka wanted to go. “Luka, you don't...you don't have to go. I'm essentially a stranger to you still. If it's that...well, if it's going to be that hard for you, I can just give you a portion of my earnings? It probably won't be much, but I'll probably be looking for a roommate anyway and that might as well be you. I'm willing to support you until you find a normal people job?”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-15-2018, 12:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused

Heaven
Avani recalled a time when she felt similarly to Luka. She was petrified when she had first entered Heaven. She didn't have a clue what she was doing; she almost couldn't believe it was real.

"Hey, doll. You doing okay?" Avani stood frozen outside of her apartment. Her lips quivered slightly as she tried to capture reality. She kept slipping in and out of her mind. She could still feel his calloused hands on her skin and the fiery liquid seeping into her eyes. Her screams repeated inside of her head. She still pleaded and begged. But it was over now. It was all over, and now she was starting again. Hun? You don't seem so well. Do you need a drink?

Avani finally pulled away from her the prison in her head. It's thick, metal bars crumbling away like Autumn leaves under her feet. She was welcomed with a sweet and crooked smile. "You're new here aren'cha? Avani only offered a quiet nod in response. That's okay. I'll show ya' around. It's always scary on the first day.

The very tall woman took her hand and pulled her along the shimmering sheets. I'm Bobbi. What's your name, honey? Bobbi's gravelly voice was comforting and blocked out all negative thoughts. Avani felt warm almost instantly.

I'm Avani. Her accent was heavy and rich then. She spoke quietly, though, so it went almost completely unnoticed.

Bobbi smiled sweetly before pulling her through an alley. It was busy and dirty. She wondered where this woman was taking her. Old wooden boards stretched across the metal staircases that clung to the side of the buildings. Neon lights flickered in the sun that crept through the cracks between the sagging boards. The sign burned a Saturday night kind of pink and greeted the two girls before they entered.

It took a little for her eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. The fresh coffee ground smell permeated through the air and fairy lights hung lowly around their heads. "I've gotta new one!" Bobbi exclaimed. Avani, stilled confused, observed her surroundings and tried to decipher just where she was.

People sat in bean bags and old, tattered couches. Each person looked nothing like the other, but they all were grinning and happy. Some held books in their hands and others chatted quietly amongst themselves.

"What is this place?" Avani asked in a low voice.

"You can think of it as a safe place." Bobbi smiled widely. "You can feel protected here." She rested a reassuring hand on Avani's shoulder before introducing her to the rest of the crew. "This is Avani. She's a new angel here!

Different voices welcomed her into the coziness of the room. Avani was ushered over to an open space on one of the couches. Bobbi brought over some water for Avani before sitting down herself.

Avani wasn't scared anymore. She knew she would be alright.

This was a strange way for her to become accustomed to Heaven, but she figured it would be nice if Luka had that same treatment. "If you don't want to do it, you don't have to, but just know that we would look out for you." Avani grinned. "Us angels have to stick together and watch each other's backs."

Luka bit his lip. He was terrified of what this all could mean for him. He didn't want to die again, but he also knew that if he didn't hunt, that would happen anyway. Luka didn't want to abandon Sage either. Yeah, I'll do it. We do have to stick together. Luka turned back to Sage and offered a smile and a small nod. I can do it.
imanASSet
Old Posted 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote