Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #33  
I mean, I don't promise coloring greatness, but I could attempt metal overlays, although a detailed explanation of how overlays are used/applied would probably be helpful.
Old Posted 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
they're put overtop a greyscale item base and set to overlay or a combination of overlay + soft/hard/vivid light layers, with tweaks to the way the pattern flows being done with rotation and perspective warps.

uuhhhhhhh

make it a tiny bit more vibrant than your final goal and it should be fine

large images/repeating patterns are preferred for ease of use

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #35  
Or better yet MAKE A TON OF FLANNEL.

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
yeah i'm slowly adding to my collection of patterns for us to use. the random "design this shirt!" nonsense that i do for events sometimes helps. this is what my collection currently looks like

the ideal will always be hand-made patterns that fit every curve and fold of an item perfectly, of course, but easy patterns are nice to make commons more interesting.

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #37  
We could probably get away with making some patterns that are contoured to the general shape of the base that you could apply on conservatively-shaped commons. You'd need separate pattern variants for male and female tops, and I'm not 100% sure if we could come up with a pattern that would work with different kinds of skirts, but shirts, pants, socks, and gloves at least ought to work.

I'm mulling over what layer styles might work to get a metallic effect, since the highlights are already THERE in the grayscale, they're just not sufficiently specular. Might or might not actually work, but it's plausible.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:13 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
highlights are there yes, but they're typically a lot softer/diffused than you would need for a metal effect. i don't think that would work well in practice, or making metal would be as simple as rearranging and adjusting a layer or two.

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #39  
Yeah, I know, I said that. The trick to be discovered is if there's a way to tighten those highlights up without distorting the shape too much. My first guess would be to play with a brightness/contrast adjustment layer, but that'd only work if you could specify a suitable curve instead of using a straight adjustment.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:37 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
sounds complicated lol

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #41  
@illu Did you not see my amazing scythe metal work? *pats self on back*

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 05:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
sounds complicated lol
IF Photoshop has the feature I'm looking for, it'd be pretty easy to do, just kinda fiddly in tuning the curve.

If it DOESN'T have the feature, then yeah, it'd get complicated fast. If my idea works, I could hypothetically build a "metallize" tool that would take a grayscale and spit out a version with the highlights adjusted. This assumes my idea actually works, though.

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #43  
let me know if it goes anywhere then

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Wowza that's a looot of awesome items/poses. Mantle of Magma skin looks legit. Those details in the stones and the accents of magma are lovely +_+
I also love the shiny shoujo eyes in Invocation of Harmony. Ugh so cute. DX <3
Heir of Tide is pulling my heartstrings because I just finished watching Bride of the Water God and it's making me want to cosplay as Habaek before it all went to sh*t.
The designs of the other ones are fantastic. They look fun to wear! Props to the art team!

dec 14
S A U C Y
「art by mdom」
✦✦✦
Old Posted 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #45  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
you can legit just draw/color something

for reference, my rainbow overlays look like this

larger/more varied images give me more to work with
Sssso kinda like this?

STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 09:20 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop

standard rainbow is on the bottom cape part, what you gave me is on the top wispy scarf part

just as a quick mock up. that's an extremely simple layer -> overlay with no other modifications.

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 09:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #47  
Oh, I should have mentioned, I tried using a more Lisa Frank-esque color scheme, which basically just turned out rainbow. It's not "normal" rainbow :|
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-16-2018, 09:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
I really love the sunflowers
Old Posted 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM Reply With Quote