Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #49  
Lol. Yeah....600+ pages to go ina few days whipe also doing a lot of crafting...I'm thinking I may fall behind a bit in my pace, but still can manage the 12 books as long as I pick smaller books later. Lol
XD
Old Posted 07-21-2021, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
sounds like a plan :)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 07-22-2021, 12:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #51  
so last year i read 36 books. i impressed myself, since for a time it seemed very slow going.

i'm now currently reading The Woman They Could Not Silence, a biography of Elizabeth Packard, who was sent to an insane asylum by her hubby for the crime of - thinking for herself! and not being a "proper woman" in 1860. ugh.

anyhway, this book is #38 for the year! yaay! :D

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 07-29-2021, 10:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Yay! Way to go!

I haven't read much lately, but decided that since The Brothers Karamazov is actually divided into 4 parts, I'm gonna tackle just finishing part 1 this year, which will hopefully make it easier to get through. Especially since I was already about halfway through part 1. >.>
But have still fallen behind my 1 book per month goal for the time being. Hopefully can catch up in the next few months though.
Old Posted 08-08-2021, 01:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #53  

i'm still reading The Woman They Could Not Silence, but I'm finally nearing the end. *glares at the three library books I have on my TBR pile*

yep. XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 08-08-2021, 07:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
so. i'm currently reading book #43 for the year. according to goodreads (and if my records are accurate) i read 41 books in 2013, so i've surpassed that one. in 2019 i read 45 books. we'll see how that goes! and, just for giggles, in 2017 i read 46 books. in 2012 i read 52 books, and that's like a book a week. i literally just counted the weeks on my calendar. if you count the week waaay back at the beginning of the year that was december/january, we're now at week 36. huh.

here's my counts, just for the records:
2011‎ (110)
2010‎ (92)
2014‎ (56)
2009‎ (54)
2012‎ (52)
2017‎ (46)
2019‎ (45)
2021‎ (42)
2013‎ (41)
2018‎ (37)
2020‎ (36)
2016‎ (32)
2015‎ (31)
2008‎ (28)

the jump down from 110 books in 2011 to only 52 in 2012 was because that's when i learned to crochet! XD
2008 was when i first decided to start this thing, so those records might not be completely accurate

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-01-2021, 12:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #55  
currently reading book #47 for the year.

do we want to do this next year as well? i feel like I'm really the only one who posts here now?

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-26-2021, 09:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I mean, I'm all for continuing next year. I just...haven't felt like I've had much to say in general. I haven't been reading as much as earlier in the year (because my priorities are a mess) and...idk. Just don't have much to say about your reading updates beyond a quick "good job" or "way to go" and that's not great for actual conversations.
XD
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 03:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #57  
ah gotcha. so, i'll do another one when next year gets here, maybe there'll be more people as well. you never know....

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 05:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Idk as much as I hope it to get busy again, I think the tragic passing of Glitch (among other things) has kind of killed interest in this place for a lot of the regular users. And I think the lack of any significant updates since then plus the general lack of activity is probably scaring off any potential new users that join as none of the ones that have joined in the last year or two has really stuck around much and also could be scaring off old users that lived through the downfall of other sites (Varus, Ernya, and Syndrone to name just a few of the ones I went through). When sites get this quiet, it's usually a death sentence. And I know Toho has promised to not close the site on us, but having heard that promise many times before and then having the sites close anyway or just be left shells of their former selves with broken features and no one around to do anything about it (see:Menewsha), it's hard to fully trust that promise.
But I do hope things can and will pick up some.
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 08:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #59  
yeah, i completely agree about Glitch :(

I'm not familiar with the sites you mentioned, I'm active on DragonCave, Magistream, and here (in order of active-ness). and then there's Faenaria, which is most of the people who were on Unicreatures and Unifaction, both of which were abruptly shutdown because (reader's digest version) the owner was being petty and took his toys home so no one else could play with them. I'm kinda there on Faenaria for the people, but I'm also on their discord (along with a mostly dead server for magistream and three active servers for dragoncave, lol)

but, I can keep posting a book thread here, as long as TPTB here don't mind me dodeca-posting (XD)... at least it'll bump the thread, and I don't do it every day anyway.

i also hope things pick up as well.

{{hugs}}

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Varus was one of the many sites that popped up in the big avatar site craze of the early 2000s. I don't remember exactly what happened with it tbh, but I vaguely recall it dying, being brought back briefly and dying again. But a lot of sites I think went the way of Varus and closed quietly when no one was looking.
Ernya was pretty big in it's time, definitely one of the more popular sites for a while and basically was closed without warning, which was a HUGE shock to everyone, was brought back for a couple days for people to save contacts, then perma-closed. I don't remember exactly when the closure was, but I think around 2015 or 2016. It was mourned for quite a while and I don't think I'll ever reconnect with even half of my friends from there.
And Syndrone was a fairly active site that I joined after Ernya closed because a few people I knew were on it. I think I was only active on it for maybe 6 months when trouble started popping up. They attempted to "hire" volunteer staff members to run forum games to boost activity, but the communication was garbage and teams weren't assigned in any way that made sense for covering team member strengths/weaknesses or for covering time zones (as someone who applied and was "hired", I would know) so there were gaps where the forum games weren't active and often games ended up being run by only one or two people instead of the whole team. And then the site was supposedly sold to people who were going to update it and make improvements....and then after making their initial "meet the new owners, here's our plans" announcement, they disappeared and were never heard from again. And the site activity dropped dramatically until it was basically dead. And then maybe a year at most later, it was gone. It would go down for a day or two every few months as the site was backed up or the security stuff was renewed or whatever then would be fine, but I think the server had probably been pre-paid for a set amount of time and when it ran out...it died.

And Menewsha might as well be dead. The owner is awol and no one knows how to contact them. The staff never pop in, though one staff member did post an announcement in the spring basically saying that Mene was dead and that there was no point in hoping for it to be revived. The most activity it gets is a couple members posting in a cat hangout. Cat gifs and reactions to the cat gifs.
And the random person popping in to whine about how much they miss Mene (but hey, maybe if all those people would actually stick around and chat, it could be somewhat revived! 8P).
I'm not too active on many other sites. I post once or twice a week on Menewsha, occasionally on Zantarni, and the rest of my activity is here.
I used to check in on Avaricia, but the security has expired on it so now my phone likes to warn me that it's unsafe. I can bypass that, but idk. That place is dead. The owner says she won't close it, but it'll happen eventually I'm sure, because I think she spread herself too thin with her desires for the evolution of her site combined with the challenges that 2020 brought and 2021 is continuing to bring and I was the only person even trying to post on there anymore so why bother keeping it open for only one person, right?

Lol. Sorry for the textwall. You don't have to read it. It's just me explaining/ranting about the aforementioned closed sites.
XD

Hmmm....I should have Derpy make a reading list too... >.>
Lol
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 09-27-2021 at 11:46 PM.
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 11:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #61  
you're fine! i've never heard of those sites, it's always pretty cool to hear about different forums and such.

oooh, a Derpy reading list could be fun! :D

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 11:50 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Derpy waddles in, waving a small picture book. "Story pwease!"

(Lol. Now just gotta teach him to read! XD)
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 09-27-2021, 11:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #63  
hmm..... The Little Dragon that Could?

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 09-28-2021, 12:39 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Derpy climbs onto your lap. "Yeah! I like that one!"
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 09-28-2021, 09:05 PM Reply With Quote