Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

More More More Magic
Default   #1793  
"The use of punch cards, a form of programming used well into the 80s, was first demonstrated when the IBM Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (ASCC) read instructions from an input tape punched with holes. Also known as the Harvard Mark I, the ASCC came about a century after Babbage first envisioned the Analytical Machine."

Maybe? Idk if I changed the meaning / said something incorrectly
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I... huh. That DOES read better. Thanks. Need to tweak it a little bit.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:21 AM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Default   #1795  
happy to help! <3
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Ended up using some of your structure there with some of what I originally had, because I needed the line about Charles Babbage right at the beginning, since I segued into the Mark I from the previous paragraph about the Analytical Engine.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #1797  
*stares blankly into the universe* o-o ...

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:34 AM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
is the universe staring back?
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #1799  
Quote:
Originally Posted by littl3chocobo View Post
so... i don't ever see feminists of any ilk use toxic masculinity as short-hand for men=bad. i do however see a lot of people scapegoating all sorts of feminists in an effort to explain who is misusing the term and on occasion i see non-feminists using toxic masculinity as short-hand for men=bad (sometimes while pretend-playing as a feminist though not usually) or female-identifying persons in general making men=bad comments and being called feminist without meeting any of the criteria

feminists believe in equality between the sexes and while the minutia of what that exactly entails makes for different types of feminists(some of whom are rather toxic by virtue of endorsing aspects toxic masculinity/femininity) that core value is shared. men=bad is not even within the ballpark of what feminism has ever stood for in any iteration that has been documented and it's uncomfortable to see feminism thrown under the proverbial bus once again by some random person who does not understand feminism
Unfortunately, this is a No True Scotsman argument.

I wish I could say you were right, that no one ever does that in seriousness, that it's all just hyperbole leveled by the opposition... but no. Misandrists are real. I've talked to people who would believe the world would be a better place if men were abolished. "Kill all men" is a phrase that has been uttered in earnest.

I agree with you on the definition of what feminism SHOULD be, but there is definitely a group of radical people that believe that women are better than men and that equality isn't a goal. You can say they're not really feminists, that they don't stand for feminist ideals, but they call themselves feminists. (As an analogy, keep in mind that some people actually do self-identify as TERFs as well.) And it only takes a few of them to poison the well; when there are real examples of such behavior that misogynists can point to, it gives them the ammunition they need to start spreading anti-feminist messages and have it actually gain traction.

And buzzwords such as "toxic masculinity" only make it worse, because almost nobody knows how to properly tell someone what it means, which ends up with shouting matches where everyone's getting emotional and talking past each other because they aren't even talking about the same thing.

It's certainly frustrating, but it's a fact of reality that this is a thing that some people believe -- accurate or not -- at a fundamental, emotional level that bypasses rationality. It has to be taken into account if you want to have real discussion with such people, because it's legitimately triggering for them. (Now, if you DON'T actually care about reasoning with them, then I guess it doesn't matter, but at that point you're just hurting yourself by trying.) Getting upset because they're arguing based on a misunderstanding isn't going to do anything to resolve that misunderstanding. You have to take a step back and establish fundamentals and definitions so you're on the same page.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I have... a lot of thoughts on this topic, but not enough spoons to address all of them. Or time. Or lack of migraine. Might get back to this at a later time.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 12:52 AM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Default   #1801  
Okay espy <3
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 01:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBon View Post
is the universe staring back?
;U; I don't care. As long as I can keep staring, I'll be okay. <3
*stares self into a sleep trance*

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 03:15 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #1803  
I caved and started watching Demon Slayer ;n;

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 10-12-2019, 05:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
mm.

of course, feminists / 'SJWs' aren't ever allowed to be inarticulate or explain things in a bit of a shitty way because then we get made fun of and turned into a meme and whatnot, y'know?

but people against feminists are allowed to be inarticulate 'in the heat of the moment' and such.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 10-12-2019, 11:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #1805  
I should probably eat something... O_o;

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i have a feeling that if i respond to your..... opinion in a way that sufficiently explains the problems with it i will get another infraction so i am just going say one thing then wipe my hands of this unproductive argument;

simply claiming you are something is not the same as being it and taking the word of liars and charlatans as your proof will do nothing but leave you looking like a fool. it might be best if you actually had some regard for the culture and language you are using to prop up your opinions instead of taking anything you wish and pretending it is a valid justification for what you are trying to hodgepodge together
Old Posted 10-12-2019, 02:16 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Default   #1807  
kitty you're looking particularly cute today
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 10-12-2019, 02:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
hi, i hate everything right now.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 10-12-2019, 02:25 PM Reply With Quote