Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default Martian's Fly-In Theater (A Movie Hangout) [Totes Open]   #1  

So yeah I'm opening a movie hangout. This is where I'd like to talk about movies. We can have conversations about them or just recommend some good flicks. Any genre is accepted.

Regardless of if this takes off or not, I will have a Reccomended Watch list below this post that I will try (probably in vain) to update with a variety of flicks some of you might enjoy. I will try to display as much info as possible so you can be well informed.

Also you can recommend movies in a post or DM me and I will happily put your recommendation(s) in the Recommended post.

Let's what else...
I would like to try and avoid TV shows but I dont think I saw a thread for them so what the hell. Again any genre. Foreign or domestic.

Gosh I think that's it really. Maybe some fellow movie fanatics will find this hangout fun idk

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
The tale I have told you,
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
Bright maiden, proud youth
The tale is a lie;
What it tells is the truth.”

― Traditional folktale ending

Last edited by DreadedMartian; 08-13-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old Posted 08-12-2019, 01:53 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!

Peep These Movies & Shows

Errementari: The Blacksmith and The Devil
▪︎ [TV-MA] ▪︎ (2017) ▪︎ Fantasy/Horror ▪︎ 1h 38m ▪︎

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil is a re-telling of an ancient fable about a Blacksmith who finds himself battling the Devil. In this story the Blacksmith has captured a demon and lives a life of hermit-like seclusion away from the prying eyes of the townsfolk. All is going well until a desperate little girl, Usue, accidentally stumbles across the devil and unknowingly releases him. It is then left to the Blacksmith to reclaim his bounty, but this is easier said than done as he also finds himself at the end of a lynch mob that have come searching for the missing Usue.*
—thehollywoodnews.com

Big Trouble In Little China
▪︎ [PG-13] ▪︎ 1986 ▪︎ Fantasy/Action ▪︎ 1h 39m ▪︎

A rough-and-tumble trucker helps rescue his friend's fiance from an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown.
-IMDb

Wristcutters : A Love Story
▪︎ [R] ▪︎ 2006 ▪︎ Drama/Fantasy ▪︎ 1h 31m ▪︎

Despondent after breaking up with his girlfriend, Zia kills himself and wakes up in a bland purgatory populated by other suicides. He takes a job at Kamikaze Pizza and befriends a Russian rocker named Eugene, while trying to make the best of a very dull afterlife. Learning that his ex-girlfriend has also killed herself, Zia embarks on a road trip with Eugene to find her, picking up a feisty hitchhiker along the way.

Everything Is Illuminated
▪︎ [PG-13] ▪︎ (2005) ▪︎ Adaptation/Drama ▪︎ 1h 46m ▪︎

A young Jewish-American man obsessed with his family history, Jonathan Safran Foer decides to journey to the Ukraine to find out more about the life of his grandfather. Guided by Alex , a rap-obsessed local, Jonathan ventures into the heartland of the Ukraine seeking to shed light on events that occurred to his grandfather during World War II. Joining Jonathan and Alex is the latter's surly grandfather and a dog named Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.

Kamikaze Girls
▪︎ (2004) ▪︎ Teen/Adventure ▪︎ 1h 42m

Momoko is a 17-year-old girl who is into the Rococo period. Selling off some her yakuza father's hooky t-shirts to fund her shopping habits, she comes across Ichigo, who is her complete opposite, a tough biker chick. The two become mutually dependent on each other in this enjoyable account of an unlikely friendship.

Swamp Thing
▪︎ [10 Episodes] ▪︎ TV Series ▪︎ ((Requires DC Universe Account To Watch)) ▪︎

While looking into an epidemic in her Louisiana hometown, CDC investigator Abby Arcane discovers that the local swamps hold numerous secrets after her partner seemingly dies and transforms into Swamp Thing.

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
The tale is a lie;

Last edited by DreadedMartian; 08-27-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old Posted 08-12-2019, 01:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #3  
Hello,

I remember enjoying Wristcutters long ago, but should probably watch it again.

My movie watching has slowed down quite a bit because it's been a struggle to find something that might be worth watching. I do have many old favorites though.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah I have been working so much lately it's hard to fit time in for just watching movies. Especially when you want something good. But I have stumbled upon some pretty good gems (in my opinion) lately.

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
The tale is a lie;

Old Posted 08-13-2019, 01:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #5  
Are they the ones in your list?

Do you have a methodology for finding what to watch? I used to keep up with things like film blogs and various rating sites, but got burned out keeping track of everything.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 01:39 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Yes the first one on the list. I still have more to add. And as far as a method goes I really dont know. I've thought about it and honestly I wing it. If I want to look more into the movie I'll do some research but thats mainly after I've seen it. I try to stay away from trailers because I feel like sometimes they air out the whole movie and ruin it. And sites like rotten tomatoe are just unreliable in my opinion.

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
The tale is a lie;

Old Posted 08-13-2019, 03:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #7  
Pops in after watching Clue.

Sorry, didn't mean to fright you all. >u>;

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 08-13-2019, 01:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Ah, I might give that one a try.

Yeah, Rotten Tomatoes isn't really helpful. Ones like Letterboxd have user contributed lists that can be handy.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #9  
I only watched Wristcutters because of Gogol Bordello |D I'm shameless like that.

Recently I (finally) watched Billy Elliot.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Have you seen Everything Is Illuminated? With the singer from Gogol.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #11  
Hehe I watched it in the movies because a friend was going to (that was back at uni when I lived in a big city and there were indie movie theaters) and I liked the songs so much I ended up becoming a fan of the band and a couple years later I went to the their show!

Also I'm an Elijah fan. I try to watch all of his movies.
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
if rabb.it was still working you could have proper trisphee movie nights lol
Old Posted 08-13-2019, 10:32 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #13  

No I haven't seen Everything is Illuminated but once I looked I up the trailer I was immediately intrigued! Its looks quirky and funny but heartfelt. I'll be sure to add it to the recommended list.

Also I love Elijah Wood. He is actually a really good actor. He played in a brutal horror movie called Maniac, where he played the killer. It was a gruesome movie but I was really impressed with how awesome he did in that role. I won't be recommending that particular movie though lol far too macabre.

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
The tale is a lie;

Old Posted 08-14-2019, 03:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Would you like more recommendations? I could make a list. Not that it should be added to the post.
Old Posted 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #15  
of course! Just personal recommendations are always nice

“The Dreamer awakes
The shadow goes by
That tale is a lie.
But listen to me,
The tale is a lie;

Old Posted 08-17-2019, 09:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i mean, it's possible to do a screenshare on a discord, but that'd require getting a large amount of us together, in a single discord server or group chat, and you can only fit ten users into a screenshare on discord. they might toy with the limit later, maybe.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 08-17-2019, 11:20 AM Reply With Quote