Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Blue Fish
Default   #17  
Also heard that a lot of media features won't be available for the regular windows 8... just if you upgrade to pro... then upgrade to pro+media pack. it's weird, and I don't quite understand what's going on. But yeah. x.x' I heard that...

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 10-18-2012, 04:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
I don't even want this one... I still prefer Windows XP or Windows 7.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM Reply With Quote  
A Genetic Infection
Default   #19  
after years of being on 7 its hard to go back to xp all of my fave commands are not there!!! And 8 is okay I willl keep with 7 for awihle any I read the Walmart is doing something if you buy a windows 7 laptop it is lik 15$ more to upgrade to 8
Old Posted 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
I'm still on Vista with my desktop, but I've managed to work out the bugs that killed most people.7 is definitely good, and 8 looks like it is taking steps in a different direction.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Grand
Default   #21  
I had plans to get Windows 8 Pro, but now I am not so sure. But I want to try out Internet Explorer 10, but people who use Windows 7 have to wait. It seems like they are trying to standardize everything with the metro design, but I do like the design. But I remember with Windows XP and a Windows operating system before it, people could have an animated GIF as a background.

But I think you had to do a certain thing to get it to work on Windows XP; but the option is not available at all with Windows 7 and probably Windows 8 also.
Old Posted 11-07-2012, 11:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Lost in a Memory
I want to put a windows 8 on another drive just to play with it, but I worry about the resource hogging. It's always been an issue with windows of course but from what I remember playing around with a pre-release of 8 it was so difficult turning off programs o.0! I'm sure I missed something telling you how to do it but I don't know.. pretty graphics are fun and all but if it messes with my Guild Wars (or more likely FFXIV) then I'll probably just leave it as a novelty.. like when I play around with different linux builds just 'cause xD

@Alpha I got a ton of kinks out of windows vista myself but due to self-ridicule (and like the third rootkit for simply being ON the internet) I upgraded to 7 asap. I can't live without my "snip" feature now! Ahh, the good old days of fixing all of my family members' vista machines.. not! :P

As an aside, I remember my dad putting on windows XP as an upgrade from windows 98 and I was so devastated because a ton of my games wouldn't work xD... I eventually got over that and enjoyed XP for a long time. I had it on an old box 'til my mother killed it (I can download FREEGAMEZPLUS, rite?)
Old Posted 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Cheeky Monkey
Default   #23  
I've heard a lot of bad with the Windows 8. I'm afraid that when I need a new computer, that's all they'll have. I saw parts of Windows 7, and kinda liked the idea, but I really don't care for 8.

If they don't bring back the whole start menu, desktop and everything, I may be going to Apple's computers.

-Hiatus-
Leave a message.
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Eh, I'm intrigued by it. Reviews so far have been good with what I've seen, but shift to similar system as OS X has been biggest critique so far. I don't mind though, especially since I currently use a Mac.
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

A monster, a monster
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM Reply With Quote  
i'm watching you
Default   #25  
I plan on getting a Mac, actually. It's supposed to be more artist friendly then the PC.

I'll probably upgrade this computer though.
Old Posted 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused
The lack of a start menu is pretty much a deal breaker for me. A friend of mine was playing around with the beta of it, and it looked awful to me. I'll definitely skip it, and since I have 7 right now, I can pretty much hold out for quite a while if they keep up with the crap setup. It definitely looked more designed for tablets, and I really have no desire for a tablet.

Sadly, I can't ever go to a mac either. I hate them, because they're ridiculously priced. Plus I'm a gamer, and I like my PC to remain capable of playing games. Macs are not good for gamers.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 02:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #27  
I agree with every point you made except "Macs are not good for gamers." The fact is they're just as good at running games as a PC; it's just that a lot of game developers are lazy and don't release for Mac. But a lot DO -- Valve and Blizzard ship cross-platform, for example.

It's the attitude that "Macs aren't good for gamers" that MAKES Macs not good for gamers. If fewer people said that, more developers would find it worth shipping for Mac.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 03:02 AM Reply With Quote  
r e s p i r a
erg, saw a couple of them up for trial at the mall yesterday, tried them and didn't really like it.

lolol I'm still on windows XP.

Old Posted 11-24-2012, 04:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused
Default   #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I agree with every point you made except "Macs are not good for gamers." The fact is they're just as good at running games as a PC; it's just that a lot of game developers are lazy and don't release for Mac. But a lot DO -- Valve and Blizzard ship cross-platform, for example.

It's the attitude that "Macs aren't good for gamers" that MAKES Macs not good for gamers. If fewer people said that, more developers would find it worth shipping for Mac.
Regardless of the reasons, that still means that if you want to primarily run games, PCs are a better choice. Just like if you want to play a mario game, the Wii (or Wii U, now) is your best choice for console. It's not that the other consoles can't run it, but they just don't make them for other consoles, so they're not good for it.

Anyway, I don't know how customizable macs are, if it's easy to just alter pieces of hardware or not. If it's not, then I would argue that there is another way a PC would be better. As games increase in requirements, you will inevitably need to upgrade. With my PC, I can easily just upgrade, say, my video card, and spend like 100 bucks, versus having to buy a whole new mac at like a thousand bucks. But again, I don't know if you can easily change hardware on a mac. If you can, this point is not really valid.

But, what it really comes down to for me, above all else, is price. I think macs are just seriously overpriced. And even if macs can run games just as well, that's still just as well for twice the money. Therefore, PC > Mac in that case, because spending extra money for an apple symbol on your computer is silly.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The fact that PCs NEED to be able to upgrade hardware like that is itself an issue. You can upgrade the RAM and the hard drive, and that's all that really matters for the most part. My old MacBook was still cranking after four years and I was still able to play games just fine. (Yeah, I had to turn the graphics settings down, but still.) I only had to replace it because it finally gave out after I physically broke it when it fell out of my bag and onto the ground at the corner -- snapped the hinge on one side and KEPT WORKING for over a year before it just wore out completely.

They're not "seriously" overpriced, just expensive. The build quality is better than any PC you will ever lay your hands on and the system as a whole is built to "just work" -- unlike a PC that always needs tuning and configuring and drivers. Total cost of ownership of a Mac over its lifespan after taking into account caring for the system and including at least one OS upgrade really isn't that much higher than a PC. You're not just spending the money on the brand name. (If you want to spend money on a brand name, go look at Alienware.)

Anyway, I'm not criticizing your conclusion -- you're right to buy a PC if it runs the software you want it to run. What I'm criticizing is your criticism: blanket statements like that don't help anything get better.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #31  
As someone who loves to tinker with hardware and software, and play a lot of games I would never consider buying a Mac. I wouldn't go as far as to hate them though. just the same as i prefer android over iOS. I'll happily admit iOS is technically the better OS, but will always stick with Android.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
I've played with Windows 8 some, and it seems like a pretty smooth interface, just definitely a major change for Windows. It takes some ideas that Apple's OS X uses while still retaining a Windows-y feel and take on them. Overall, might consider it once my school gets licenses for it as an upgrade to my current OS on the PC I have now......granted I'll have to overhaul the PC first.
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

A monster, a monster
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM Reply With Quote