Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #17  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
I would also recommend Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's similar to Betrayal in a lot of ways; you travel around a map and have a random encounter each turn. But unlike Betrayal, you choose how your character reacts to the encounter! Meet a handsome prince? You can offer to help him, or try to win his hand in marriage, or you can rob him blind. Encounter a mysterious creature? You can try to capture it, or you can follow it and see where it takes you. The encounters can seem rather disjointed and often the reactions you choose have completely unexpected consequences (for example, you expect robbing the prince to be easy because you have the stealth skill, but your character for some reason decides to charge right at him and attack even though she doesn't know how to use a weapon), so the game can get very silly. But if you like all the random events in Betrayal, Tales will not disappoint.
I'm a fan of this one, too. My brother went treasure hunting and got attacked by bandits and then a monster. I punched an annoying barber in the face and wound up rich.

My brother has a large collection of board games and I've picked up copies for myself of the games that I've quite liked. He's working on designing some himself in his spare time.

My collection so far includes:

Pictionary (gotta have some classics around)
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Fury of Dracula (reprint)
Talisman (reprint)
Lord of the Rings (multi-board co-op game)
Citadels + expansion (probably my favourite)
Battleship
Settlers of Catan
Puerto Rico
Tsuro
Zombies!!

My wishlist right now is Arkham Horror.

Not sure if they count as board games really, but I also picked up Cthullu Gloom and Aye, Dark Overlord to try out one day. Annoyingly, most games need either three people or take several hours to play (or both). Often, more people are up for a game of Cranium over Descent.

I've played a pile more than these but not what I've seen in the thread so far, except for Pandemic. I'd probably own more games, too, if they weren't quite so pricey.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 10-18-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old Posted 10-18-2017, 05:09 AM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I'm a fan of this one, too. My brother went treasure hunting and got attacked by bandits and then a monster. I punched an annoying barber in the face and wound up rich.

My brother has a large collection of board games and I've picked up copies for myself of the games that I've quite liked. He's working on designing some himself in his spare time.

My collection so far includes:

Pictionary (gotta have some classics around)
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Fury of Dracula (reprint)
Talisman (reprint)
Lord of the Rings (multi-board co-op game)
Citadels + expansion (probably my favourite)
Battleship
Settlers of Catan
Puerto Rico
Tsuro
Zombies!!

My wishlist right now is Arkham Horror.

Not sure if they count as board games really, but I also picked up Cthullu Gloom and Aye, Dark Overlord to try out one day. Annoyingly, most games need either three people or take several hours to play (or both). Often, more people are up for a game of Cranium over Descent.

I've played a pile more than these but not what I've seen in the thread so far, except for Pandemic. I'd probably own more games, too, if they weren't quite so pricey.
Catan is a classic! It gets stale after some turns though without cities and knights expansion. Let us know if he ever makes a kickstarter for it or needs play testers!!

I myself have thought about creating a board game just for my friends and then further down the line have it kickstarted if I find its received well by them.
Old Posted 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #19  
Has anyone played a game called Super Dungeon Explore?
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
Catan is a classic! It gets stale after some turns though without cities and knights expansion. Let us know if he ever makes a kickstarter for it or needs play testers!!

I myself have thought about creating a board game just for my friends and then further down the line have it kickstarted if I find its received well by them.
The games he makes are more family efforts right now, but the ultimate plan, I think, is something open source even. That might be some ways down the road though.

Sometimes I like the simplified versions of games more, as things get longer the more complicated they get, like with Carcassone and all it's add-ins.

Starfarers of Catan
is quite the thing, but also on the longer side for a game.
Old Posted 10-19-2017, 02:32 AM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Default   #21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
The games he makes are more family efforts right now, but the ultimate plan, I think, is something open source even. That might be some ways down the road though.

Sometimes I like the simplified versions of games more, as things get longer the more complicated they get, like with Carcassone and all it's add-ins.

Starfarers of Catan
is quite the thing, but also on the longer side for a game.
Yeah, I hear you. My friend has an old ww2 board game that the games last a month to complete. 😅
Old Posted 10-19-2017, 08:11 AM Reply With Quote