Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

To Meet Ya
Cool Board Games   #1  
New to the community, just as new to becoming a board game hobbyist. I currently own a few board games such as Dead of Winter and some of the classics. Currently waiting for DiceBorn Heroes to ship out from the kickstarted project.

On my wishlist right now:
  • Zombiecide and Variants (Played it on TTS)
  • Scythe

What are some of the board games that you've enjoyed? Any recommendations?
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 03:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I. . . I like monopoly ;D

v.v

I've never been able to get into board games although I have a friend who works for uh Ninja Division and they make a bunch of board games so . . . so I know they're out there.

Old Posted 10-16-2017, 06:11 PM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Default   #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I. . . I like monopoly ;D

v.v

I've never been able to get into board games although I have a friend who works for uh Ninja Division and they make a bunch of board games so . . . so I know they're out there.
Monopoly drags out too long to enjoy. Similar effect to munchkin late game but at least it ends. Never heard of ninja division. The only title I recognize is anima.
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I've got the Mega Man board game and I've never had the opportunity to play it with anyone. :(

My family has gotten into Rock Me Archimedes, and we like Uno.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 08:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #5  
I love me some Megaman, and would totally give the board game a try.

I go to a game night with some people every Wednesday where we've got a wide selection of board and card games available...although lately it's been mostly D&D night.

Ever tried Betrayal? I think that one's my favorite.
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I HAVE Betrayal but I haven't played it yet.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #7  
It's a wonderful game. :) Just gotta snag enough people for it.
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 08:51 PM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I love me some Megaman, and would totally give the board game a try.

I go to a game night with some people every Wednesday where we've got a wide selection of board and card games available...although lately it's been mostly D&D night.

Ever tried Betrayal? I think that one's my favorite.
Betrayal on Haunted Hill (Something alone those lines) YES, its really good. Love how dynamic it is, its a bit hard playing against the monsters though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I've got the Mega Man board game and I've never had the opportunity to play it with anyone. :(

My family has gotten into Rock Me Archimedes, and we like Uno.
Never heard of the Megaman Board game or Rock Me Archimedes. But, I really do like Uno, we usually destroy our shortest friend for laughs.
Old Posted 10-16-2017, 11:40 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #9  
I love playing Betrayal! I just ordered the Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game (yeah there's no board but still). So I'm stoked for that. Have also played Love Letter and Three Cheers for Master. Wow I've played more card games than board :P
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactuarJoe View Post
I love playing Betrayal! I just ordered the Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game (yeah there's no board but still). So I'm stoked for that. Have also played Love Letter and Three Cheers for Master. Wow I've played more card games than board :P
Never heard of the two. Well I meant to see table top games which include card games. I tend to stay away from card games because they generally are limited to two players and/or expensive.
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #11  
Yeah that's very true, that's why Black Friday a comic book/game shops is so great! you can get everything at super discounts! Like Boss Monster, which I also own, that takes I believe up to four players and it's only $25!
LEVEL UP!

Calligraphy + 2
Lathe usage + 4
Gained Obsequiousity Double Damage
Distance from Pomona is now -2000

^^Thank you Isis, my chibi self is BEYOND adorable!^^
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactuarJoe View Post
Yeah that's very true, that's why Black Friday a comic book/game shops is so great! you can get everything at super discounts! Like Boss Monster, which I also own, that takes I believe up to four players and it's only $25!
That sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Is it four player co-op or just free for all?
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #13  
I own about 80 board games. I've been collecting them since college. :) I actually demoed Dead of Winter at GenCon the year it was released after making the horrible mistake of not preordering it, so I bought it off a friend a year later. It's one of my favorite thematic games!

Betrayal is a lot of fun too. Gameplay is a bit random and I wish there was more choice, but it does execute the theme really well, so it's an easy game to get immersed in.

I highly recommend Battlestar Galactica (even if you're not a fan of the TV show!) You play as a crew of pilots, military and political leaders on a journey to another planet, responding to invasions of evil robots while trying to conserve your food and fuel. It's an incredibly thematic experience, and the best part is that a few of the players are secretly traitors, working on the same side as those evil robots, trying to screw the crew over without giving their loyalty away. This traitor mechanic works differently from Betrayal in that the traitors often know who they are at the beginning of the game, and they can choose when they want to reveal their identity. It leads to a lot of paranoia and dramatic moments. As far as more complex games go, this one is easily my favorite.

I would also recommend Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's similar to Betrayal in a lot of ways; you travel around a map and have a random encounter each turn. But unlike Betrayal, you choose how your character reacts to the encounter! Meet a handsome prince? You can offer to help him, or try to win his hand in marriage, or you can rob him blind. Encounter a mysterious creature? You can try to capture it, or you can follow it and see where it takes you. The encounters can seem rather disjointed and often the reactions you choose have completely unexpected consequences (for example, you expect robbing the prince to be easy because you have the stealth skill, but your character for some reason decides to charge right at him and attack even though she doesn't know how to use a weapon), so the game can get very silly. But if you like all the random events in Betrayal, Tales will not disappoint.
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 01:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
That sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Is it four player co-op or just free for all?
Boss Monster is free-for-all and super competitive. I had fun playing it, but I'll never win it >.>

Unrelatedly, I'm a big fan of Pandemic, it's co-op and you'll lose more than win, but it's really fun to try to balance everything.
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Unrelatedly, I'm a big fan of Pandemic, it's co-op and you'll lose more than win, but it's really fun to try to balance everything.
I love Pandemic! By any chance, have you played Pandemic: Legacy? There are a lot of new rules that get added on as you progress through the campaign, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the basic game. But just based on some of the games they've mentioned (without spoiling the story of Legacy) I have a feeling Scythe would appreciate it. :P
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
To Meet Ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
I own about 80 board games. I've been collecting them since college. :) I actually demoed Dead of Winter at GenCon the year it was released after making the horrible mistake of not preordering it, so I bought it off a friend a year later. It's one of my favorite thematic games!

Betrayal is a lot of fun too. Gameplay is a bit random and I wish there was more choice, but it does execute the theme really well, so it's an easy game to get immersed in.

I highly recommend Battlestar Galactica (even if you're not a fan of the TV show!) You play as a crew of pilots, military and political leaders on a journey to another planet, responding to invasions of evil robots while trying to conserve your food and fuel. It's an incredibly thematic experience, and the best part is that a few of the players are secretly traitors, working on the same side as those evil robots, trying to screw the crew over without giving their loyalty away. This traitor mechanic works differently from Betrayal in that the traitors often know who they are at the beginning of the game, and they can choose when they want to reveal their identity. It leads to a lot of paranoia and dramatic moments. As far as more complex games go, this one is easily my favorite.

I would also recommend Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's similar to Betrayal in a lot of ways; you travel around a map and have a random encounter each turn. But unlike Betrayal, you choose how your character reacts to the encounter! Meet a handsome prince? You can offer to help him, or try to win his hand in marriage, or you can rob him blind. Encounter a mysterious creature? You can try to capture it, or you can follow it and see where it takes you. The encounters can seem rather disjointed and often the reactions you choose have completely unexpected consequences (for example, you expect robbing the prince to be easy because you have the stealth skill, but your character for some reason decides to charge right at him and attack even though she doesn't know how to use a weapon), so the game can get very silly. But if you like all the random events in Betrayal, Tales will not disappoint.
I've heard Battlestar's name get thrown here and there. I do need to try it sometime. Hmmm, that does sound like a fixed Betrayal. My main issue with betrayal is after someone becomes the monster. Some of the monsters are unbalanced, a bunch of tentacles that can grab you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Boss Monster is free-for-all and super competitive. I had fun playing it, but I'll never win it >.>

Free-for-all type of games can be fun, but I feel they end up being stalled out late game easily depending on the game. Still, the laughs are worth it and especially the ending of friendships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
I love Pandemic! By any chance, have you played Pandemic: Legacy? There are a lot of new rules that get added on as you progress through the campaign, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the basic game. But just based on some of the games they've mentioned (without spoiling the story of Legacy) I have a feeling Scythe would appreciate it. :P
Its currently #1 on BGG, a friend of mines has the original pandemic. I'll ask if he has legacy. He has a few old board game sets especially the ww2 inspired ones.
Old Posted 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM Reply With Quote