Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

petite fantaisiste
Default Chrome, docs, macs, and bolded text   #1  
Does anyone else have a mac product that just doesn't bold the text on docs?

I have a macbook air and typing things on docs is kind of a pain because the text doesn't show up bolded (it works for some fonts, but not the fonts I'm using--which happen to be handwriting fonts, if that's important).

It works on Safari but I don't like the too-clean aesthetic of the browser D:

EDIT: Whoopsies, text is bolding. Just, really, really faintly.

Last edited by Potironette; 05-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old Posted 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Technically that's working as intended. Those fonts don't have a boldface variant, so it's falling back to the closest match it has -- that is, the normal weight. This is consistent with the HTML5 specification, which says that just because you can specify different boldness levels doesn't mean every possible level will look distinct.

Safari is inventing a fake boldface variation of the font on the fly. The quality of the letterforms isn't going to be as good as a proper boldface font would have had.

Italics often work the same way -- a font that doesn't have an italic variant gets smooshed diagonally to create an artificial oblique form.

EDIT: I gotta say, I've never thought of Safari as being "too clean," especially not compared to Chrome. o.o
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #3  
There wouldn't happen to be a way to give fonts boldface variants, would there? Actually, what is a boldface variant?

Firefox = too cluttered, too boxy
Edge = ugly
Chrome = nice balance between pretty cluttered and clean
Safari = there's nothing here/It's all one color/To an extent I like clean stuff but too clean is distractingly ugly to me xD

Old Posted 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Technically, "Arial" is a separate font from "Arial Bold". Your handwriting font doesn't have a bold version. Some renderers will fake it by drawing the non-bold font thicker.

There MIGHT be font-editing tools that can automate the process, but I don't know of them.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-11-2017, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #5  
Ohh, okay. So while Times New Roman has a boldface variant meaning it has a bold thing in it, some other fonts don't. And on macs for whatever reason docs doesn't bold things as it normally does on chrome, but safari's able to.

Well, that's a shame. I guess I'll either be using safari more or changing fonts :o

...oh, actually, I just looked at it again. Actually, docs does bold, but it's so light I didn't notice it at all o_o. I wonder why that happens

Old Posted 05-11-2017, 03:21 PM Reply With Quote