Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Tasty Zucchini!
Default   #81  
I'm using Firefox.

Also, it's still trying to load.

Post post script: I tried Invader while I was waiting, and after I got to 800, everything just stopped. I could move, but no more enemies loaded. What gives?

Actually going to sleep now. later.
Last edited by Ammutseba; 12-26-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old Posted 12-26-2015, 03:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Regarding Invader... That's just the end of the game. You beat it. :P It was a quick hack of a game; I never put anything fancy in.

As for the JS console: Press Ctrl+Shift+J (or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac) to open it, then reload the page to see if it reports anything during startup.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-26-2015, 11:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Tasty Zucchini!
Default   #83  
I left it running while I slept, and it never loaded.

I just reloaded the thing and then took a shower. And this happened, and nothing else.

Quote:
The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol. runner.html
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 06:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
... OH.

Geez. *facepalm* I found the problem.

That warning is totally unrelated. It's harmless, although I probably should explicitly configure it to report UTF-8.

In truth, I forgot that I switched the site I was hosting the game on for development purposes and the last version I uploaded to that server before switching is broken. ^^() Try now!

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 03:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Tasty Zucchini!
Default   #85  
It works now, but I should wait until I'm sober to try again. @_@
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I've done SOME work on Gravity Runner / Crystal Caverns of Kalin since I last posted in this thread, but I haven't spent too much time on it and I really do need to get back to it...

But this post is about something else!

New game: Bobble Battle!

This was my entry into Ludum Dare 36.

We had originally wanted to do a sort of RTS/tower defense game where an advanced alien befriends a race of primitive people, and the alien would teach the primitives how to build tools and defenses out of the materials they had at hand, but he would also go out in a battle mech to fight off monsters. Unfortunately, our artist wasn't feeling well so we didn't get the variety of sprites that we wanted, and we ran into some technical difficulties that put us behind schedule. So we took the pieces we'd put together and the testing functions that we'd used just to make sure the other parts were working, and we figured out a completely different set of mechanics that could work with what we had built and redesigned the game around that.

Technologically speaking, I'm really proud of the world generator. There are some visual glitches where I didn't have the necessary sprites to fill in every possible way the map could be built, but... every game is played on a completely different map, generated on the fly!

I also made all of the sound effects, wrote the sound code, and did most of the animation code -- I was particularly happy when the crystal animations came together. I put a lot of effort into polish -- an important part of any game is making sure that everything that happens has weight to it, and little things like flashing when you take damage are a lot more important than they seem at first glance so that it FEELS like something is happening.

The other programmer handled the player controls and the combat mechanics, and we collaborated pretty closely on the AI. (We didn't have time to implement a proper pathfinding system, so between the two of us we were able to hack up a way for the friendly bobbles to figure out when they had gotten stuck and try to do something else.)

Old Posted 08-30-2016, 12:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #87  
A new game for the list:

Diminishing Lands
, my submission for Ludum Dare 38!

Like LD36, this is... not the game I set out to make. We got screwed on the theme again and it was really hard to maintain motivation. But it IS a game, and it DOES contain a bunch of code that I'm proud of.

We didn't have an artist on the team this time, so we set out up front to work with stuff that I could get from OpenGameArt or pixel myself. This was most definitely the right choice, because I was able to make new sprites for the character on my own as the need arose instead of being blocked waiting on the artist.

I'm proud of how good the controls turned out. It's super fluid. The dynamic nature of the levels turned out WAY better than I expected -- I didn't know it would look that good.

There are a couple ways I might end up taking this game if I revisit it going forward -- this could end up as two separate games in the end.

One of them would involve shrinking down to go into ant tunnels to combat an infestation. Those levels would be autogenerated but wouldn't dynamically change while you're in them, and it would be a fairly standard platformer.

The other is to take this experience and run with it, fleshing out the frame story, adding an overworld, making other kinds of levels and sort of going in a Super Mario Galaxy direction with it.

Old Posted 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Hyping up for Ludum Dare 39! I've got several ideas in mind depending on which of the themes end up winning the vote. There are a couple I REALLY hope end up losing, though. The last two Ludum Dares I've participated in, we got screwed really bad by the theme, and it would be nice to get a theme I can actually WORK with this time.

First time around was AWFUL. "Ancient Technology" -- good grief, what kind of game can you make with a theme like that? I mean, we had some ideas to work with, but nothing that would have really turned out very good, and definitely nothing that we could get meaningful artwork for given the tools and people we had at the time. The game we ended up making (Bobble Battle) had nothing to do with the theme.

Second one was "Small World". That was also pretty awful, because the implications of what it meant for the game mechanics were just horribly uninteresting. In the end, Diminishing Lands did fit with the theme, but only because we were just implementing stuff without a plan in hopes that we'd figure out how to tie it in. That was really stressful. :/

Old Posted 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #89  
TBH the first thing I thought of when I saw "Ancient Technology" was the Submachine game series. (Which, if you like point-and-click puzzles, you should give a try.)

My immediate second though was some sort of puzzle box in which the locks are like...giant stone slabs or circles that you have to rotate or rearrange? Art for that might be a PITA, though.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-28-2017, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
My first thought was either a caveman-themed platformer or a caveman-themed RTS. Bobble Battle was supposed to have been the latter, but we couldn't get any graphics for it because our artist got sick six hours into the jam after giving us the blue blobs you see that were SUPPOSED to have been sheep-like people.

We didn't even bother getting an artist for Diminishing Lands except to make the logo at the very end. I did all of the graphics myself based on Creative Commons sprites.

Old Posted 07-28-2017, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #91  
Eek. I can sympathize with the artist bailing, though. In my experiences, "interesting" things tend to happen when you're more or less the only artist on a team :|
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Ludum Dare 39 theme: "Running Out of Power"

I'm excited about this! I actually have an IDEA for this! We've got the whole idea figured out and we're only two hours in.

Old Posted 07-28-2017, 10:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #93  
Oh damn, now I'm hyped up :| How long've you got?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-29-2017, 12:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It ends Monday at 8PM Central time.

I've got the power-related mechanics basically finished now as well as level generation (super proud of it!). I need to add combat mechanics. My teammate is supposedly working on fine-tuning the play control and the character animations, but he's been having problems getting his head in the game this time around.

Old Posted 07-30-2017, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #95  
Finished!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/$38278

Depths Descended
Explore as a robot through a mining facility that has long since been abandoned in search of treasure! Avoid countless dangers such as bats, bats, and you guessed it, more bats! Be careful though as you have a short battery life and must stay charged to survive!

My teammate and I both had a lot of problems staying focused this weekend so we didn't get as much done as we wanted, but the meat of the game is here -- we wanted more enemies, we wanted a mechanic where you could repair the broken-down bodies of your lost lives, and I wanted to have a final boss instead of a score attack game. We probably could have done everything we wanted to do if we could have both kept our heads in the game. In the end, he wasn't able to contribute much at all, but he's planning to make up for it by promoting the game afterward.

I'm really proud of the sound design this time around. I stepped up my game, I think. I also taught myself the basics of HLSL fragment shaders for the graphics; it's most visible in the background of the power-up rooms.

Old Posted 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Ludum Dare 40: "The more you have, the worse it is"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/$60111

Network Invader
They say the Internet is a series of tubes. Fly your way through the network and eliminate the invaders!

My first serious game in 3D! I didn't have a lot of time to work on this one because... bad things happened this weekend. My cat Hobbes almost died... and... he's not out of the woods yet. But I got enough put together with my teammate to make something that's a pretty playable game!

It was a good experience. I didn't learn as much novel stuff as last time, but I did learn that homing attacks in 3D are ridiculously hard to implement well. >_<

Old Posted 12-04-2017, 10:53 PM Reply With Quote