Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The One and Only
Default Tablet   #1  
So my parents managed to kill another laptop.
I thought it would be nice if I got them a tablet for Christmas, one that runs flash
(all they do is watch videos and look at the news)
I don't know anything about tablets and was hoping someone on Trisphee knows a thing or two

What are some things I should look for when buying a tablet?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
c:

Sergeant Pup
Last edited by Hero; 12-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Posted 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
A few things to look at when looking for a tablet are:
1) What are they mainly going to use it for?
-If games/more intensive programs, then you will probably need either a larger internal memory or the capability to expand the memory at some point in time if needed. Also, more RAM and such.
-If watching videos and looking at news (sorry, just noticed this was what you stated they mainly did...my bad) then the memory size probably won't be quite as important, though the expandable slot wouldn't hurt if they saved articles or videos to the tablet.
2) What is your price range?
-Some of the e-readers (Nook and Kindle) are now offering tablet versions of their devices so as to make "tablets" more affordable for the common consumer. They aren't quite the powerhouse that those created by Motorola, Apple, Asus, etc. are, but they are workable for watching videos and such.
-If you are set on something more versatile, then I would look at Motorola's Droid tablets, Samsung's Note tablets, and Apple's iPads to start. Dell has ventured into this as well and seem to be doing well, but I can't speak to them personally.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 12:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #3  
Most video sites don't need Flash on mobile devices anymore; all of the good ones offer HTML5 video too. And pretty much all tablets on the market these days can handle HTML5 video.

I'd point to the Nexus 10 tablet. It's one of the best bang-for-your-buck tablets on the market right now. The Nexus 7 is an even better deal but if it's for your parents they may appreciate the larger screen.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 01:27 AM Reply With Quote  
The One and Only
Thank you Alpha for those tips. I'll definitely need to keep them in mind.

Is that right Coda? I know some of the places they go are pretty...er..outdated but I'll have to check on that.
The Nexus looks awesome ouo

One more question. I need someone that is very sturdy and not too prone to getting viruses and such.
My parents are pretty technologically impaired so they aren't too careful about the places they visit or the things they may download.
How to tablets stand against viruses?
Someone told me chromebooks are good for my cause but I have no idea if a tablet would be better.

Sergeant Pup
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
Tablets in general don't GET viruses. Occasionally an app that does naughty things will make it onto one of the various app stores, so don't go installing stuff willy-nilly if you don't know what it is you're getting (read the reviews!) but it's not something to worry about. Getting drive-by infections from websites isn't likely.

A Chromebook is basically a tablet with a keyboard. It's not a bad idea.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Well, in terms of security, Apple's iOS has been tested and found to be the most secure in terms of internet and the like (so the iPad being the tablet extension). However, it lacks versatility as most other tablets do in being able to install anti-virus on them.

It is worth noting that viruses (from my understanding) are designed to attack through a specific browser or system of information delivery so as to interfere or interact with an Operating System in a pre-set way or to receive commands. Tablets are still a niche in the web-browsing base as it stands, but it is growing so it is possible that more viruses will be creative or adapted to attack them as well. Currently, it isn't as much a deal to worry about as it would be with a laptop however. Especially since there aren't any true "viruses" in existence for tablets for the time being.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
The risk is about the same as the risk on Mac or Linux -- which is to say, it's POSSIBLE, but there aren't any threats in the wild right now.

Old Posted 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM Reply With Quote