Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default Hair Help?   #1  
Calling all hair experts!

So, lately I have been wanting to do something different with my hair. Cut? Maybe. I really tend to stick to the same self-done cut once a year. Style? Maybe. I don't really do much with my hair. I really don't know. But all I know is that if it's a style, it can't be complex or time intensive because I can barely do an even ponytail and I generally only have 5 minutes to get out the door on any given day.

Oh. And nothing too extreme since my one job is more of a semi-conservative "family" type store. (So like....slight color is fine, but a rainbow mohawk wouldn't go over very well...)

Anyone up to the challenge of trying to help me?
XD
Or at least to offer some advice or something?

For reference: PIC OF ME HERE.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-24-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old Posted 12-26-2017, 10:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
So I have a few questions, does your hair have more volume of does it just lay flat normally? Have you ever thought about getting some layers? And finally, what about surprise color? Aka color only on the bottom layers of hair and the top is natural.
Old Posted 12-27-2017, 12:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #3  
It depends on the season and humidity. Sometimes my hair is limp and flat and sometimes it's out of control frizzy and other times it is full of volume. It's generally pretty thin to medium in weight/volume though I guess? I don't really know much about hair. I used to have my hair layered, but I never really liked it that much for reasons that are hard to explain in a way that makes any sense.
I have been thinking about doing some hidden/peekabo color. I need to pick up some better colors though. All I have are purple and lime green and those both wash out really quick in my hair.
Old Posted 12-27-2017, 12:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Perfectly understandable, some people just dont like Layers. I personally dont because my hair doesnt work well with it.

A longer angled bob is an easy hair style to keep and maintain. This one has a bit of texture (not layers but semi like them) to break it up so you dont have to worry much about bed head.
Old Posted 12-27-2017, 01:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #5  
Tbh, that's usually how I cut my hair (only with less texture). But it tends to grow out too quickly in the back. It is so hard for me to find hairstyles that actually look good. Especially ones I can cut myself because I can't really afford the cost of regular haircuts currently. Especially if I want to go to people who actually know what they're doing.
The last time I went to get a cheap haircut (because my dad was paying), the woman argued with me on how I wanted my hair cut, didn't cut it short enough, and ripped half of my earrings out of my ears with her comb while combing my hair.
Old Posted 12-27-2017, 01:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Ickkkkk….. So I would suggest seeing if there is any local hair schools around in the area. They give cuts pretty cheap because the students are still in training. You just have to sign a waiver saying you understand that they are students.
Old Posted 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #7  
Ugh, so my hair has grown out to an appropriate length to do a lob (long bob) like you suggested and it's irritating the fuck out of me. I forgot how much I hate longer hair.
BUT I found this hairstyle...and just kind of want to get an opinion...like, does anyone think it would look good on me? (Reference image above for face shape, etc.)
Not the color, just the cut.

I honestly would go with colors more like this with it:

Except that I don't really know any places in town that are good for doing colors. Supposedly the "beauty school" offers dye, but according to the website it would be $65+ for custom dye.
And $11+ for the haircut. Which doesn't sound too bad unless the haircut I want ends up being closer to $50. Gotta love that mysterious "+" without any explanation of what would make a cut more expensive.
Old Posted 04-24-2018, 06:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
could always do what I did, and look to vintage styles for something you like...
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 01:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #9  
(I take it you don't think the pixie bob would look good on me...?)
Yeah...not really any good short vintage styles that I like.
Vintage clothes, yes. Vintage hair, no.
Mainly because they are "styles" more than just cuts. And I don't really have the time, energy, or skills to do much more than roll out of bed, comb, and out the door.
I like my low maintenance hair. Until it starts getting shoulder length.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-25-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 03:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
... most days, all I do, style-wise, IS roll out of bed, and give my hair a comb. I referenced a 1920s/30s film star for my haircut, and there's a ton of cuts that would work from that era, since bobbed cuts were the IN thing back then.

ETA: I have a Pinterest board dedicated to the 1920s and the fashions and hairstyles from that era, if that helps any

Quote:
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 06:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #11  
(Apparently that's a yes...)
Pinterest doesn't like to load on my phone. I got bored after about 3 minutes and 3-4 blurry half loaded images.
See, I don't actually care for the old fashioned bobbed hairstyles. They're pretty on everyone else, but with my hair (frizzy as all hell, semi-wavy yet semi-flat and limp, seriously, it's a nightmare), they just don't work well. (Is making excuses because I got a bob once and it made me look like I was 12.)
For hair, I just prefer edgier looks. My usual is a sharp a-line, but I just need a change from it.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-25-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 07:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
(I just like vintage styles, 's all)

Bummer about Pinterest not working on your phone. and bummer about the bob cut not working for you

Quote:
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 09:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #13  
I mean, vintage styles are really pretty. They just don't work well on me. My hair and my face shape and facial features don't combine to work well for vintage hair. My sister, on the other hand got ALL the good face and body features and can pull off any look successfully. Lucky bitch...

And realistically, I could probably pull off a long vintage style, but my hair irritates me more the longer it gets and those do need a lot of styling.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-25-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old Posted 04-25-2018, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Hair has finally been cut! It's not really the same as I wanted. The gal who cut it wasn't as good as I'd hoped and it ended up a bit shorter in front than it should have been.

But now I have a whole new set of issues. Mainly: What the heck types of hair care products (like....styling products mainly) do I use? I've never ever really done any hair styling beyond combing or brushing (seriously, I don't even blow dry or straighten my hair ever) but I want to maybe work on trying new styling stuff...but I have no clue what to use.
If it matters, my hair tends to be dry, but also can get a shiny/oily look really fast (based on REALLY OLD past experience) with a lot of styling products.

Anyone have any tips? Products they find work well?
My sister had recommended a product many years ago, but I never had been able to find it in stores.
Old Posted 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
Default   #15  
Have you thought about curling your hair? I just love curly hairstyle. The main advantage of it is that you can make curly locks by yourself at home using a curling iron. Just choose the one which is appropriate for your hair type. Here is the review of the most popular models. It's written there how to use this tool as well.
Old Posted 09-06-2018, 09:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Even with a whole bottle of the strongedt hairspray, my hair won't hold curls for more than a few hours. Plus, I hate curls.
(And they take more time than I ever want to spend on my hair. I'm looking more for 5 min or less styling tips/help.)
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 09-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old Posted 09-06-2018, 11:53 AM Reply With Quote