Developer
Default   #33  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
The ones down in Santa Barbara?
Yeah, those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
It's kind of interesting to see how relative the idea of danger is between locals and not. I can say I'd be scared of living in a high risk tornado area, but then, here I am in a high risk earthquake area and when people say as much I'm more or less "meh."
I grew up in Kansas. I have a healthy respect for tornados but I don't live in terror of them.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-11-2017, 11:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
It's kind of interesting to see how relative the idea of danger is between locals and not. I can say I'd be scared of living in a high risk tornado area, but then, here I am in a high risk earthquake area and when people say as much I'm more or less "meh".
A few years back, I worked/volunteered at a museum. One of my favorite exhibits to operate was the Earthquake simulator, which, every three minutes, would simulate the next earthquake in a list of ten historical quakes.

There was a family (almost elderly) visiting all the way from /Ukraine/, who were like, "How do you even /live/ in an earthquake zone? I'd be too scared!"

And I nearly asked how they managed to live in Ukraine, what with Pripjat and Russia and everything, but decided to keep my trap shut.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
I grew up in Kansas. I have a healthy respect for tornados but I don't live in terror of them.
I grew up in Southwest Iowa. Only thing that will wake me up most months is the monthly tornado test. and it's more of a "Do I have to duck and cover? Or is it just a test of the systems?" thing for me. Last time I heard the sirens outside of a test, I was already in the basement, and had captured the cats (at the time, we just had the cats) and boxed them up. Turns out the tornado hit the next town over, and damaged or destroyed a barn (Can't remember now, even though it was just a year and a few months ago).

Worst wind storm I can recall ripped the roof off the middle school when I was in 5th grade. then one year, we had a storm that had a tornado hit a mile from town, and I thought it was a mile from where I was, so I was freaking out with worry for my mom... everyone was okay.

Tornadoes and wind storms scared me more as a kid than they do now. It's just part of growing up near the middle of Tornado Alley. You learn how to deal, or you move somewhere else.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I had a friend growing up who had a tree branch thrown through the ceiling of her bedroom in a tornado. That did kinda hit close to home. But I don't think she was IN the room at the time.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-11-2017, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #37  
I am definitely more concerned about windstorms. We don't get them a whole lot but when we do they get nasty, in large part because of all the trees. My brother has had windows smashed or nearly smashed from rogue tree branches. My sister has had to replace her gate twice from downed trees, and nearly had her van crushed. The type of trees made a difference. We currently have a dangling branch, probably from the last windstorm, over our property that we're trying to figure out how to get down.
Old Posted 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM Reply With Quote