Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default When you fuck up...   #1  
Every once in a while, I tend to say or type the wrong thing. Or the thing I mean to say/type comes out sounding worse/meaner than it's intended or it gets taken the wrong way because I forget to add a cute winking emoji or add a "just kidding" comment.
And every once in a while, it seems to be exactly the thing to end a friendship. Not necessarily the comment alone, but the fact that afterword, I feel so awkward and uncomfortable over the fact that I upset the person that, even after apologizing, I can't bring myself to initiate further communications with them.

Anyone else do stupid things that end friendships? Just me?
XP

Don't mean to sound whiny or anything, btw, just kind of needed to clear my head some and get this minor issue out of me.
Old Posted 11-08-2017, 10:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Yes I have done that a few times!! It is why I have so few friends these days o-o

I promise I'll never be awkward with you over your typing!!

Old Posted 11-09-2017, 12:20 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #3  
So glad I'm not the only one!
I mean, if I ever type something and it comes off as rude, always feel free to clarify. I keep losing friends because they kind of jump the gun and get upset forst, clarify second. Not that it happens often of course, but it sucks.
*hugs*
Also, I keep meaning to say this, you and Winter were so cute in your unicorn costumes!
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 01:04 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy McBlueEyes View Post
So glad I'm not the only one!
I mean, if I ever type something and it comes off as rude, always feel free to clarify. I keep losing friends because they kind of jump the gun and get upset forst, clarify second. Not that it happens often of course, but it sucks.
*hugs*
Also, I keep meaning to say this, you and Winter were so cute in your unicorn costumes!

I missed this picture :0 where is it posted I only saw the maze ones and punkin pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I wish there's an item that is a mountain of shit XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
are we bankrupting gizzie

Gizzie, s Questie-->>https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22149
ART SHOP-->> https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211Artwork By Glitch
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 01:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #5  
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Oh my goodness ^.^ cute
Quote:
Quote:

ART SHOP-->> https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211Artwork By Glitch
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 01:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #7  
I tend to try and ask for clarification if I'm not sure. I have a hard enough time IRL with telling if someone is joking or not, and online, tone is missed.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 01:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I ama big user of smily faces to try and indicate my tone!

Old Posted 11-09-2017, 02:03 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #9  
Me too I'm always lol jk ^.^ -.- :) :0 :/ on everything
Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted 11-09-2017, 02:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I always forget to use smilies, which probably adds to the mis-interpretations...
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 02:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #11  
I think the most important lesson that needs to be learned is that most people aren't so petty as to not (eventually) forgive you for a miscommunication like that. I know it's an anxiety issue on your part, so that's easier said than done, but meaningful friendships are typically pretty resilient things, and people will get over an accidental offense.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
The main problem is that, even after things get solved or explained, I no longer know how to talk to them and they tend to not initialize communication, so the friendships just kind of dissolve.
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Tasty Zucchini!
Default   #13  
A lot of my friends do not text/type correctly, or they are the type who get offended incredibly easily when the thing being talked about is not offensive and they just take it that way. So far this year, the only thing to end any relationships (friend wise) is the simple fact that I stated in the beginning of the friendship, and multiple times afterward that the only thing I am looking for is friendship. Six months in they ask "so do you ever see us dating/do you have an approximate of when you could like me?" Idiotic questions, and it is like...I SAID I WANT A FRIEND. So I have lost a total of three people I thought were genuinely my friends over the fact that I am not looking for a relationship.
In the past I lost two friendships due to poor communication/lack of understanding in what I say. I tend to use larger words than they do, and sometimes they mistake them for something else and get so upset to the point they will continue to defend instead of listen, and when given the responses to THEIR questions they are set in their minds that I am angry, or said something mean when I did not at all and the frustration leads me to abandoning the conversation and then if they message me later that is fine, but until they think it over and analyze things I tend to just...leave it due to awkwardness and being afraid that if I say something they will take it the wrong way again.
WE ARE THE WEIRDOS MISTER!
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 03:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Oh geeze. That's awful! It's like they don't listen or assume you're lying when you say you just want to be friends. I hope you actually do find better friends. It's not always easy.
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 07:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #15  
I've had friendships end like that... and I've had friendships end because the other person just couldn't allow themselves to be wrong. but if things end like either way? Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. I have one friend whom I talk to on a nearly daily basis, and sometimes I have to ask them to explain what they said, or they'll have to go back and explain that they were joking, because of me getting confused or taking them seriously (One of the only reasons I dislike being Autistic: I can't detect sarcasm very well). And sometimes, I have to do the same for them, for the same reason. But we've managed to stick it out for over nine years, and we don't really have too many instances of needing clarification, unless it's something that the other person knows a lot more about and unconsciously gets technical on the other... that still happens fairly regularly, but we each use it as an opportunity to learn something new, so there's that, at least.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 11-09-2017, 08:14 PM Reply With Quote