Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default Black Friday scares me   #1  

It's getting to be that time of year again when we see people punching others in the nose for discounted "doorbuster" electronics. Do you engage in the battle that is BF or do you stay in safety behind your computer to get the very same deals on Cyber Monday?

Do you have a tradition of camping outside of the store with a S'mores kit? do you stare at the lines like a tourist at some zoo? Have you any horror stories about Black Friday? or maybe you have a "war wound"

Personally, Black friday scares me. I am from a family of Retail people but I can't throw a punch to save my life or my Lego sets. I could talk your ear off about how nasty customers can get however.
How cray cray are people going to be this year?

Me? I'll be hiding in my cardboard fort and waiting for Cyber Monday. No video game is worth a black eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRiILStjZWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQ9Q...eature=related
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I went once with my sister and said never again, I enjoy sleep too much to deal with it.

My mother (Who is all most 50) went for the first time in her life last year and This happened. She was in the same wing as the original shots fired and was rushed to the back of the store with my older sister and had to deal with a bunch of Crazies shoving there way through the side employee's corridor. Needless to say she doesn't want to do it again....
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default   #3  
Holy crap, I'm really hoping your mom was ok but I am sure she was scared. I would have been if I was in the same situation.

Deals are great but not at the cost of a broken arm or worst case, a life.
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
No one was actually hurt in the shooting but several people suffered bruised limbs from trying to rush through the corridor and my sister who had a 2 month old at home was freaking out and screaming that she couldn't die.... My Mom on the other hand was extremely calm apparently. Because they wouldn't state why they were being herded to the back of the store my mother and Sister walked out with over $100 of unpaid merchandise, along with several other shoppers. The report makes it look a lot better than it was, the mall was closed til 4 am so they could be sure that the 2 shooters were gone.

Personally, I think it was better than the 2 women trampled to death in myrtle beach on black friday several years back.
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default   #5  
I also read a news report where a pregnant women lost her baby in a stampede as well as a guy who tried to help her, died.

While it is horrific to know that happens, why would you go to a BF sale, pregnant, knowing you will see the worst in people?
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Because the deals are 'crazy' and you think it wont be that bad. I personally think that Black friday shouldn't happen.
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 03:55 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #7  
I never joined them in the stampede...only once with my male friend that always shop on black friday and I came along I was miserable, tired, hungry, and it felt like an eternity because he doesn't know his way around MY super target.

He bought 2 2TB external hard drives for about $80 each and I didn't get anything since i was poor.

Last year I had to work on Black Friday (I'm a pawnbroker);I was scared out of my minds about the hoard of people breaking our stuff. But when opened the doors; it was dead not many people came by

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Last edited by Echo-chan713; 11-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM Reply With Quote  
-:-o}}}-O-{{{o-:-
*shudders* I stay in on that day or only venture out in the afternoon. I don't like crowds too much.
I used to have a sig. Really.
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #9  
it's for me a day of fear of work, not knowing if I would get killed there

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i've worked black friday but other than bitchy customers and too many bodies it has never been so bad XD got used to carrying a telzon and not even using it, just reading the bars so it beeped then saying we were out XD dude if it is all-on-floor and says as much then it is all out, we are /not/ hiding it X''D
Old Posted 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #11  
I went out once just because I never had before and I wanted to see what it was like. Didn't bother trying to get anywhere right when the stores open, and I didn't want anything in particular, so it was just unpleasant and busy and insane. And I worked it a couple of times at Target, which was also kind of crappy, but I worked in Fashions which people weren't generally rushing to buy so mostly I had to deal with picking up the incredibly random merchandise people were leaving all over the place (I found a guitar in the middle of Shoes... wtf?) and cleaning up spilled coffee, since I swear every two minutes somebody would spill more coffee.

I'm INCREDIBLY thankful I'm not working retail this year, and I don't plan on going out on Black Friday at all. I really hate how hysterical people get over just buying stuff. I'm pretty poor this Christmas, so I'm making some of my presents and just in general not going very overboard with it, and it continues to astonish me how many people feel like they have to put themselves into debt for Christmas. If your loved ones really love you they won't care that you didn't spend thousands of dollars buying them shiny electronics.
Old Posted 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Honestly? I've never been out for Black Friday.
Not until way later in the evening after things have died down.
Also, everything that was on sale is gone by that point.
& I really have no desire to try it.
I agree with you! Nothing is worth a black eye.
Nor being trampled to death, for that matter.

I'll hide out and wait for Cyber Monday.
Online shopping is not quite so life-threatening.
Old Posted 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #13  
I'm only vaguely aware of what Black Friday is. Isn't it the last day of sales before the Christmas stock moves in? Or something like that?
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Black Friday is when the stores have their best sales. Thus you should go out and purchase things for the holidays, and get beat up and maybe run over doing it.
I've been in the hospital for a month!
Pneumonia. Complications and chest tubes.
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default   #15  
And then the following Monday, called Cyber Monday, people get the same/similar deals online if not better with no bodily harm at all.

lol
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Loving Fish Lord
I tend to stray away from the huge sales, I probably miss opportunities, but I know i'll find them at another time. :3
Old Posted 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM Reply With Quote