Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #17  
It doesn't have to be very small animals, because the problem isn't that it causes choking or suffocation. The problem is that it shreds the delicate alveoli of the lungs. That works on creatures of any size, including humans. The damage happens at a cellular level, even damaging the DNA, which causes cancer.

In the US, doctors are allowed to recommend any efficacious treatment. There's not a playbook or something that they're required to draw from; they just have to have evidence to suggest that the treatment has been shown to help people. (Some insurance companies might refuse to pay for some kinds of treatments, though.) They'll get in trouble for recommending treatments that AREN'T known to be effective, but that's a different matter. So while you're more or less right, it's not as strict as it sounds.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 11:41 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I know doctors can simply state their opinions on such things, and it's generally assumed that current approved medical things can be out of date because of how long it can take for government wheels to turn. I've heard nurses and doctors say things like "well I can prescribe X but it's not what I would do" because X or Y."
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-01-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old Posted 07-31-2017, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
I've heard doctors say that too but usually the circumstance is a patient asking for a particular treatment that the doctor isn't familiar with or doesn't know enough about to meaningfully recommend.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-01-2017, 12:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I thought I saw something about this on my facebook but didn't really look. As far as I knew, Diatomaceous Earth is for pest control, and not something you want around smaller animals because it can affect their respiratory system (it would have to be a very small animal but still...). My understanding was that it plugged up pores and such in insects and what not, starving them of oxygen or something. However it actually works, I'm not sure it's something I would ever use in a diet.
There is the pesticide kind that is treated with chemicals and there is the food grade kind that you can consume or still use as a form of pest control.

Yes it is dangerous if you breath it in, but once you mix it with other things, it clings to those other things and is safe for eating. If it weren't safe for eating the FDA wouldn't have it as GRAS. They just can't label it a health food until more tests are done.

Seeds and Fiber haven't helped me at all. It made it worse actually.

Coda - >-> I've been paying attention to my issue for 10 years.. This is how my doctors help me. "Here have anti diarrhea pills, that's all it is!" but its NOT just that, its constipation and normal bowel movements. It HURTS every time. My latest one says "It's just constipation, and yea constipation hurts" .. No.. it shouldn't feel as if someone was slowly cutting my intestines to shreds each time I take a dump. And I know the difference between constipation and diarrhea.. I'm pretty sure that constipation ISN'T when its runny and you can BARELY make it to the toilet on time...

So I literally 'Can't' try official medical methods until I find a doctor who uses his ears for work and not for decoration.

I've tried adding more fiber to my diet, that made it worse.

Aloe Gel WORKS for me but its too expensive for someone who only gets 300$ food stamps a month for 2 people. So that's out of the options.

Everything else is once again, too expensive. And because the doctors won't listen to anything I say, I don't know what I have is called.. One person says I have IBS (they themselves were diagnosed with it so they know the symptoms) then I have someone else who claims to be a Nurse say its not IBS its something else but didn't give it a name.

So the only thing I CAN try for the moment is Diatomaceous Earth. So there will literally be NOTHING else I can do to add onto what I'm trying.

I'll probably be part of that group of people who say "it didn't work for me at all, so this is just gonna be my cat's de-worming method"

>w> Better stop taking that Tea and Honey when you aren't feeling too good.. it's a home remedy there for it doesn't work. Stop putting Aloe on boo-boos, it's a home remedy. Cause home remedies don't work. Acid Reflux problems? Stop drinking that Apple Cider Vinegar, it's a home remedy there for not gonna help.

Just because its a new thing, doesn't mean its bad or it won't work. New just means you have to be cautious. Which I think I proved I have been by doing all my research.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 08-01-2017, 07:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #21  
Pesticides don't have to add chemicals to diatomaceous earth. They use it directly. Some products are pesticide MIXES, yes, but that doesn't mean that diatomaceous earth isn't a pesticide on its own.

The FDA recognizes it as GRAS for purposes such as skin scrubs and toothpaste, where the micro-abrasive properties of the stuff are the entire purpose of using it. But just because it's safe to accidentally swallow a small amount of toothpaste doesn't mean it's a good idea to intentionally consume more of it -- the GRAS rating is specifically about it being safe to use it in the way that was evaluated but it makes no guarantees about it continuing to be safe if you go outside of the recommendations.

And yes, as you said, a GRAS rating doesn't say anything about it being effective, just about it being not likely to kill you.

Given the description your problem may actually be too much fiber, especially insoluble fiber. You need a certain amount of soluble fiber in your diet, so don't cut it out entirely, but loading up on extra fiber when your problem is that your stool isn't binding together in the first place is going to result in having to pass more loose stool instead of solving the problem -- as you've found out the hard way.

You should also cut back on fried food, chocolate, caffeine, and carbonated beverages, and you should be careful with too much fruit or honey. These all make diarrhea worse, and it's speculated that the rise of IBS and IBS-like symptoms is a result of the increase in these things in the typical American diet.

Old Posted 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
I was just pointing out that my doctors don't listen when I tell them that my stomach hurts real bad regardless of HOW it comes out. When I was younger it just started out as just pain with the runs. Now its pain any type of bowel movement. It's not just the runs, I could have the runs today then tomorrow FULL blockage. Then for the next two days it'll be normal bowel movements.

Almost everything I eat, irritates my stomach.. I'm practically on a soup diet at this point. I can still eat chicken but I'm picky on how its made. I gag on it if there is skin, cartilage, bone.. if it has a slimy texture.. I tend to get skinless chicken breasts and make soups out of it.

Add stress on top of everything, I'm crawling in pain >->,

Until I can find a doctor who listens to me and properly tests me to find out whats wrong, I'll be using home remedies. Will home remedies work for me? I don't know. So far the only one that has worked is too expensive for every day consumption, which is what I need it for.

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 08-01-2017, 03:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #23  
One thing I've learned from living in California with a family full of people with health issues: If you want your doctor to do something, you have to take matters into your own hands. Not by ignoring the doctor and finding alternative remedies, but by being in constant contact. Demand more tests. Force your doctor to help you. If you feel like the doctor is ignoring you, it's probably because you haven't given him the right kind of information to help him actually inform his diagnosis. Have you tried keeping a diary of what you eat and how your stools come out?

Yes, a good doctor will put forward the effort to ask the right questions, to follow up, to figure out the problem. But given that you're probably going to a cheap clinic where the doctors are overworked and overloaded, you can make a mediocre doctor do good work.

Old Posted 08-01-2017, 06:22 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Diary keeping is pretty much what I had to resort to in some cases. I'm doing it now to weed out what is giving me problem and what isn't, because I've been having bouts of illness for long enough that don't seem related to the same things.

In some cases, I've just had enough tests that other doctors have found things by accident. The CT for my oncologist found the scar tissue in my abdomen that is likely responsible for my persistent nausea. The ultrasound for my urologist found the gallstone I didn't know about which now probably explains my icky reaction to high fat foods. That will be irritating later on.

IBS according to my doc is med speak for "yup, you've got a problem with your gut." That's what I was diagnosed with until we were able to narrow it down to the specific issues. IE: scar tissue, tumour, and slow stomach motility. Those three things need three different approaches to fix.

Remedy Stuff, sort of.

So far, for the nausea I use pu'erh tea unless it's bad enough that I need pills. Also drinkable yogurt helps.

There are pills for slow motility but they don't work so well for me so I use coffee now and then, and watch my intake of certain fibers. Pork is an issue, any leafy green (except kohlrabi to a point), and cabbage. Curiously, green beans have a funny fiber structure that makes them easy to digest. I can eat those to no end and now grow my own.

The reduced fiber of course means constipation can happen. I address that with a specific type of laxative (lots of laxatives are fiber based which will backfire in my situation), or more coffee.

Speaking of coffee, my gut is bloating because it didn't like something about my tuna sandwich. I shall go make a cup.

The tumour was fixed with chemo but it's mangled my intestines a little bit, and the scar tissue can't be removed without surgery that might well create more scar tissue so I'm stuck with those problems.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 08-01-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old Posted 08-01-2017, 09:26 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #25  
To actually comment on home remedies, I'm open to anything. Seriously, my mother took to me every doctor, other doctor, alternative health and healing practitioner she could think of to find out what was wrong with me as a kid. What I think is important though, is that people don't assume that these things are 100% safe or always benign. There are simple herbs I can't take because they react to my pills, and there are diets and things that can be dangerous for the wrong type of person. "Natural" also does not equal save. Some things and naturally toxic. Sometimes, "raw" is bad because the raw form is a problem. It's good to check out and investigate new things but jumping on a craze can cause a lot of trouble.
Old Posted 08-01-2017, 09:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
To actually comment on home remedies, I'm open to anything. Seriously, my mother took to me every doctor, other doctor, alternative health and healing practitioner she could think of to find out what was wrong with me as a kid. What I think is important though, is that people don't assume that these things are 100% safe or always benign. There are simple herbs I can't take because they react to my pills, and there are diets and things that can be dangerous for the wrong type of person. "Natural" also does not equal save. Some things and naturally toxic. Sometimes, "raw" is bad because the raw form is a problem. It's good to check out and investigate new things but jumping on a craze can cause a lot of trouble.
This. So much this. I don't have a problem with alternative remedies if there's actual evidence behind them instead of just a bunch of people talking about how great it is. You've got to filter out the buzzwords ("detoxify" is 100% bogus for example, there's no such thing, and anything that purports to treat multiple unrelated problems is probably fake). You've got to treat it like an actual drug that acts by a specific chemical mechanism and not a miracle cure. Treat everything not explicitly prescribed by a professional like a skeptic -- go in telling yourself that this thing you're about to try probably isn't going to do anything, because going in expecting it to work will confound your results with the placebo effect.

I mean, my wife used St. John's wort for her depression before we were able to get insurance to cover seeing an actual psychiatrist. Putting a baby aspirin on a canker sore does provide relief. A tablespoon of honey is just as effective as over-the-counter cough medication in children between 2 and 12 years old, and it's actually safer (but don't give honey to infants under one year old). So yeah, I'm not categorically against alternative remedies.

Old Posted 08-02-2017, 10:05 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #27  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonskid View Post
And I know the difference between constipation and diarrhea.. I'm pretty sure that constipation ISN'T when its runny and you can BARELY make it to the toilet on time...
just for the record on this point, there is a difference between diarrhea and loose, watery stools. the latter can happen even when you're constipated, because when the pipes are clogged enough, it'll be ONLY the watery stuff that can get through — and when it finally does, it'll be in a sudden urgent rush. actual diarrhea isn't just watery and urgent, there's a level of frequency to look at, too. if you're having watery gross, and then blocked up gross, that watery gross might have been a symptom of your pipes blocking up.

not that i know your poops, lol. just thought i would throw that out there.

Old Posted 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Wow, DK. That's pretty darn rough and you have my sympathies. From the sounds of it, I wonder if you don't have some sensitivity to something small and everywhere, like gluten or soy, for example. I have lots of relatives in that department. Unfortunately, finding out things like that tends to take a lot of money and time.

Have you ever had allergy tests? Some allergies can relate to food. My sister in law has problems with nickel, and that transfers to lettuce (not sure how). She is also highly gluten sensitive which sucks because it's in damn near everything.

Out of curiosity, how do you handle potatoes? That's the go to for my sister-in-law and I now when we have our distinct gut problems. Plain boiled potatoes. Cheap and plentiful, and they have enough nutrition in them to cover most needs (of course, I've possibly got enough Irish in my family background that it's a natural affinity. ;)). Elimination diets can help you find out if there's a food that's bothering your gut. Start with nothing but potatoes or rice for a few days, then add one new thing back in at a time until you start reacting again. My mom did this for a while. Might be something to try, and maybe find out if the problem is diet or something actually wrong somewhere with your digestive system.
Old Posted 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #29  
Gally - Yea when I get constipated I get the loose stool as well. Constipation pains feels like I'm shitting a baseball with rusted nails sticking out.. x-x the watery stool that comes after makes the pain go away.. =w= I like the watery stool, so soothing...

Quiet - I'm allergic to carrots =w=, its terrible... I puke them back up.. Mom always tells this story of when she was pregnant with me, she'd crave carrots beef and potatoes. Only thing that would come up was the carrots... doctor told her then to stop eating carrots that I was allergic.

That info was never passed to my foster parents and they fed me stuff with carrots in it once, I was sick alll night. x-x

Then when I met my half sisters when I was 8, they bought baby carrots and ranch dressing... They didn't know about my allergies to them, and I was too young to understand why I got sick that one time with the foster parents.. I ate some.. bleh x-x

I can't have V-8 my stomach gets upset when I do, I can't have beefstew... Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup has carrot bits in those, can't have.

Potatoes I can have! I just don't like them sliced and cooked and I don't like fresh mashed potatoes.. =w=, I have to have the box kind.. the textures are soooo much different! I don't eat much potatoes now though.. I prefer them cut in cubes and eaten raw (I prefer most my veggies raw.. I can't stand them cooked, i can't stand banked fruit either.. x-x the textures.. ugh..) But mom refuses to let me eat them like that.. she'll make french fries and eat them all herself and I don't like how she does home made fries.. so I don't eat those..

If I don't like the texture or taste of something I gag. Which pisses people off.. >-> my aunts always complained about my 'picky eating' now I just eat what they give me and do my best to not barf x-x

I've asked for allergy tests but my doctor won't do them. Allergies change over time but he says "you already know what your allergic to there's no need to do these tests." What if I'm allergic to eggs now? And Milk?! (though I can have Ice Cream no problem and we make our mashed potatoes with milk no problem.... Yogurt I can still have as well)

。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 08-03-2017, 07:40 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I can't do raw veggies. My stomach can't handle it, as much as I like them. Not sure if raw spuds is a good thing. They do have and acid that they make (supposedly good for getting rid of warts). I think instant potatoes are still just dried potatoes anyway, so it's not like there's too much weird about them.

I just keep an eye on how I react to things and adjust what I do accordingly.
Old Posted 08-04-2017, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #31  
Raw potatoes are bad for you. They contain a chemical called solanine that's most concentrated in the skin (especially around the eyes) that breaks down in the cooking process. It'll give you an upset stomach and in high enough doses can be fatal. Never ever ever let animals eat raw potatoes; their smaller body mass means they don't need much at all to reach a lethal dose.

Old Posted 08-04-2017, 01:49 AM Reply With Quote