Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Snap!
Default Anyone else grow up on a farm, or have one?   #1  
I grew up on a 32 acre hay farm in a very small town in Northern Idaho. My grandpa still spends long days out in the hot sun. This event is bringing back wonderful memories spent on the farm. We had chickens, at one point my grandpa had sheep before I was born, 2 horses, 1 donkey, dogs, and wildlife! We would see deer and sometimes elk grazing out in the field. There's also a resident moose and her kin. They're huge! You don't want to cross mama because she will F you up. I'm now living in SE Florida and it's so different!

Surely I'm not the only one who grew up in a rural area? I'd like to know about your farms, which animals/pets you have, your hometowns. Small town life, if you miss it or still live there. For city folk who have no experience with country living, I'd like to know about your pets if you have any, or any vacations you've taken to rural areas and if you liked where you visited.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 08:05 AM  
Writer
I'm more of a city kid myself, but my aunt and uncle moved to the countryside when I was six years old. While they themselves didn't own a farm, there were several farmers in the area, and us kids (my two cousins and me) would often go there to get fresh milk and eggs. One time we were allowed to help feeding the cows. Sometimes my aunt also sent us to the really tiny shop where you could buy the most basic of groceries, which felt quite different from the big supermarkets I was used to at home.

Oh, and an old lady in the suburb used to tend chickens in her garden. I always begged my grandma to take the longer way home from kindergarten so we could see the chickens.
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #3  
Our rent house was on a farm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I wish there's an item that is a mountain of shit XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
are we bankrupting gizzie

Gizzie, s Questie-->>https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22149
ART SHOP-->> https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211Artwork By Glitch
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 12:12 PM  
Don't Go Into The Light
Ours was too, where I grew up. It came with Guinea hens and they were extremely noisy. I liked to watch the cotton and corn picking machines do their thing, at the time.
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 06:14 PM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #5  
I grew up in a rural town. I was a "city kid", but my best friend lived out on a farm and I would spend time out on it a lot. I think they mainly had wheat, but also cows and possibly sheep, though the animals were seldom in the areas we were when I was out there.

As for childhood pets, we had a part siamese cat (sort of a mixed breed farm cat actually, but she looked almost like a purebred siamese and she DEFINITELY had the voice), and also a Scotty Schnauzer mixed breed dog. I didn't particularly like either one much because the cat didn't like me and I just am not that much of a dog person.

Oh, and my summer camp for 5 years was out in the mountains and it was awesome! I would basically get a whole week out in the mountains away from my family and it was soooo nice! Especially in my moody/emo teen years.
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 06:32 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
When I was growing up, my mom's youngest sister and her husband ran a dairy farm, and the sibling and I would spend some of our summers with them. I grew up in a rural community, too.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-27-2018, 08:12 PM  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
I live on a "ranch" so to speak, but it's mostly a horse and hay field, plus the dogs. Suburb kid but we did have friends with farms that we would visit so I knew about cows and chickens and things, and things like don't leave the effing gate open.

I'm used to seeing animals around the place, especially when I moved up north and we lived in a small city that would occasional get moose wandering around it in the winter. Deer on the roads are common enough. Where I am now we get rabbits, and I don't think I've been anywhere that didn't have coyotes that you could at least hear.

I'm at my brother's place which is definitely urban-suburban and we still get bears given it's a mountainous area.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 04-28-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old Posted 04-28-2018, 03:53 AM  
Rebooting....
I mostly grew up a city girl. When I was eleven, my mom remarried. My siblings and I were so excited to move with the stepfather alll the way across the country, because he said he had a farm and horses. And snow in the winter! We were from California so we'd only ever seen snow once when we lived close to the Sierra Nevada mountains. So we got on a Greyhound bus and headed East. Surprise surprise, while he'd been away in the Air Force, his family apparently sold the farm and moved to a smaller property. No horses, no big roomy house, not even a whole room to the three of us kids. So I guess I may be a little bitter about being cheated out of the farm experience.
Old Posted 04-28-2018, 07:50 PM  
Snap!
Default   #9  
I miss hot summers spent on the family farm when I was younger.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 05-07-2018, 04:09 PM  
Double Rainbow
The high school I went to used to attend has a farm. ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
the galla beast does not create the words that are posted in official capacity. the galla beast merely summons the proper incantations from the void and shares them with the world.
Old Posted 05-12-2018, 11:39 AM