Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #337  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Last year I read 70 books, this year I am at 54 so far. So I guess I'm not going to beat it or meet it.

How is everyone, I'm going to try and come back. I've missed it.
MOOOOOONNNN! Welcome back! 8D
Old Posted 11-17-2018, 02:06 AM Reply With Quote  
CL4P-TP
I'll definitely check out your challenge for next year! I've seen the ones where you have like a list of 50 books to read for a year, but personally I know I'd never be able to keep up with that. The idea of just improving upon what you managed last year appeals to me way more! I did actually pick up my book for a bit last night so I've been inspired haha~

Aw that's really cool that your library does purchase requests. It's definitely somewhere I don't utilise enough, and new books are so expensive so I don't really expand my collection as often as I'd like. We used to have a really cool second hand book store in my town but sadly that shut down.

When I was travelling though I did book swaps quite a lot in hostels so that was a pretty fun way to read some books that I necessarily wouldn't have picked for myself but ended up really enjoying. I have some of the authors penned down in a notebook just in case I come across them again
Old Posted 11-17-2018, 08:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #339  
i've seen lists where you read a book from the year you were born, a book written by a local person, a this book, a that book (i don't know what they all are....) but i don't remember when or how i came up with the idea of reading more than i read the previous year though...

the library does purchase requests if they feel more than one person will read it, heh. most of the time i don't need a purchase request though.

we used to have a second hand bookstore, but they closed too. :(

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Purchase requests are a thing, often with ebooks or articles. Otherwise, libraries generally have to guess going on their circulation statistics and regional demographic. (yup, librarian in training ;))

I do book reviews over on LibraryThing and it's been a dandy way to get free books if you aren't too picky about what you read. Hence, some of the young adult and kiddy things that are on my list. Found some good stuff though, and it amuses me to see a book I reviewed later on a shelf at a store.

I spend too much money on books, but I justify it as "building my library." Which is kinda true.

I've done reasonably well this year compared to last, I think. I'm creating one of those "read an x book" lists for my student association. Haven't thought about the year you were born one though. That's a good idea! I'm still working on a list I started in 2016. Eventually I'll knock that off. I'm currently on "book with a red spine,""book written by a celebrity," and "collection of poetry."
Old Posted 11-18-2018, 05:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #341  
that's cool about LibraryThing!

glad i could give you an idea for your list, too :)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-18-2018, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
CL4P-TP
Ooh books from the year you were born could be a cool one. I can't even name any off the top of my head, so it would definitely expand on my collection that's for sure.

I always feel a little weird going into my local library because it's part of the school, so I feel like it's just full of teen fiction. I know logically that it isn't, and I don't even dislike teen fiction so I don't know what the issue is, but I still tend to avoid going.
Old Posted 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #343  
well, if it helps, i don't know any books that were published the ear i was born...

*googles*

well, i read a few of 'em actually!

*The Naked Face, by Sidney Sheldon
*Ringworld, by Larry Niven
*Are You there God? it's me, Margaret, by Judy Blume
*Runaway Ralph, by Beverly Cleary
*The Trumpet of the Swan, by EB White
*Frog and Toad Are Friends, by Arnold Lobel
*Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?, by Dr Suess

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-18-2018, 09:51 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Well, two from that list...Fantastic Mr. Fox and Trumpet of the Swan. Ages ago.

It would seem I have some Steve King on mine

I certainly recognize a lot more on my list although minus the Mercer Meyer books, I've mostly seen the movies. ;)

I think I'll read The Woman in Black, unless I get around to picking up a copy of The Game.

I'm passing some of my older book around to kids in the family and some cousins were amazed I don't recall ever hearing of Judy Blume. I mostly remember Beverly Cleary. I've found it interesting to look up stuff I used to read and seeing what's still around. I saw that Cricket in Times Square got a reprint (ordered it for my sister for storytime with her sons) and I saw a box set of The Boxcar Children that I recall from school, though only the title really. A friend of mine read all of them.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 11-19-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old Posted 11-19-2018, 07:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #345  
i've read a few from your list too, Quiet Man =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I...don't actually recognize very many on my list. But the ones I do recognize, I have read and loved . Except possibly 2 of them, which I may or may not have read. I can't remember, but they were part of a series (the cat who mysery series) that my grandma was collecting and I read a bunch of them, but don't remember if I got that far into the series or not.
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 03:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #347  
ah, let's see, Kaderin, from your list i've read The Silence of the Lambs, Queen of the Damned, Guess How Much I Love You, the Wyrd Sisters, Sourcery, Foucault's Pendulum, Lightning (Dean Koontz, love him), E is for Evidence (it's on my reread list!), Ranma 1/2 Volume 1, The Sands of Time (Sidney Sheldon, loved him too), Briar Rose, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game (huh didn't realise that's when that came out...), For Love of Evil (just reread this one recently), Doom of the Darksword. yep. that's a few. =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 07:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I used to love Dean Koontz. But then I read a book that had almost an identical plot to a previous one of his that I'd read. After that I just kind of...lost my respect I guess for his writing.
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 08:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #349  
whoops!

i've read a LOT of Koontz, but if two books had that same of a plot, i would have to read them back to back to notice it. i read something, love it, and then i've forgotten most of it once i've started my next book. only a few books and series stick with me (Dune, for one)

also, you want cookie-cutter plots? romance novels. and Sidney Sheldon novels. XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 09:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Exactly why I hate romance novels.
Well...one reason anyway...
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 10:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #351  
heh. for last year's NaNo, i finished my time travel romance novel i had been writing for quite a while. LOL

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
It better be filled with overexaggerated cliches....
XD
Old Posted 11-20-2018, 10:39 PM Reply With Quote