Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pixelist
Default musical tastes   #1  
anyone noticed their musical tastes varying wildly or is it just a me thing--

i.e: i really enjoy orchestral covers, but at the same time, i enjoy 8-bit covers because of the limitations in being reduced to 8 bytes of sound, y'know?
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 05:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I wouldn't necessarily say that's "varying wildly." You just have a broad sonic palate, which honestly is a good sign. People with narrow tastes in music have fewer opportunities to discover creativity and expression.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 05:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #3  
My musical tastes jump around wildly with my mood. It's not unusual for me to headbang to doom metal one day and giggle over the assumption song the next. Back in school my friends called it my superpower that I was the only one among them invincible even when exposed to the horrors of folk music.
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 05:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i mean, if you say so.

the only thing i actually dislike is country, mostly because of how. nationalistic it tends to be.

8 bit stuff does sound good, though. it's stuff from an older medium that people have grown to appreciate because of the limitations in doing stuff within the medium.

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 05:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
I'm not a big fan of country, either. I used to despise it, but I've kinda mellowed out as I've gotten older to realize that it's not so much the style I don't like as it is the fairly low standards for what passes as country music. When I was growing up, half the stations on the radio were country music, and you apparently didn't have to be a very good musician or a very good singer to sell country music albums. The stereotypical subject matter didn't help, either; so much of it was just uninspired whining about everything going wrong or -- as you said -- nationalistic stuff that's just kind of embarrassingly on-the-nose. And of course, the kind of people who aggressively like country music and never listen to anything else just get annoying and the music gets tired and overdone.

Thankfully we're not in the 80s anymore.

I still can't really escape country music, but I've heard a few songs here and there that I can appreciate even if I wouldn't go out of my way to choose to listen to them. Toby Keith's "I Wanna Talk About Me" caught me off-guard; I usually avoid his music and that one almost made me tune it out, but then I actually heard what he was singing about... okay, it's amusing. I always have to give credit to poking fun at the stereotypes of the genre.

In a completely different direction: 8-bit music sounds good for a couple of reasons.

First, square waves have incredibly rich harmonics that don't occur in nature. It makes them sound unnatural, but it also means they fill the soundscape with bold, full tones, and the interference between square waves playing in harmony adds some great texture.

Second, limitations breed creativity. The NES only had four sound channels, and one of them was white noise and another one didn't have a volume control. With those kinds of limitations, the only way you can get music to sound good is by being creative with the arrangement. You can't just lean on being carried by your instruments; you have to experiment with the sound to get something that works.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 06:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
My tastes in music:
-symphonic metal
-8-bit
-classical (most metalheads like classical)
-lots of VG OSTs
-jpop
-vkei
-techno/electronica/some dubstep
-acoustic
-folk music
-hard rock

I'm not a super huge fan of rap or country, but some of the stuff I listen to includes a bit of either genre. (For example, the Bastion OST leans pretty heavily into acoustic and country.)
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 06:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #7  
ye. people get creative when there's limitations, i've noticed. esp. when i do a limited palette challenge on myself, i actually churn out some decent work.

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I find that rap can be good. It's sort of like country music in that you don't really have to have good musicianship to publish. And rap and country both have a tendency to glorify less-pleasant aspects of society. (Just... different parts. Trying to imagine a patriotic rap song is... I can't even put words to it.)

But when you get someone with a good voice and a sharp wit that's trying to make music instead of make a statement... there can be some really impressive stuff.

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #9  
I've got playlists that vary wildly in styles and genres, along with artists. I also make playlists for my RP characters... and some of those lists have distinct 'themes' to them.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
I agree with those rap and country observations. Some songs are really good (I think "If I don't make it back" qualifies as country, and that was one I liked a lot despite of the sad theme) but others are bound to turn out cringeworthy. Of course a genre like musical or opera requires much more skill to begin with, so in comparison you'll find less horrible songs and singers there.
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #11  
I like many different artists |D I won't say different styles of music because it really depends on the artist.
For example, I love Lauryn Hill! But am I an overall rapper fan? I wouldn't say so. But she's my favorite singer, she has a fantastic voice and is an amazing lyricist.
I do seem to favor folk singer/songwriters (like Hozier and Regina Spektor) but I also jam to disco, baroque(not any classical, baroque!!) and pop rock.
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Ehh... Opera is another genre I'm actually not a big fan of. I respect it musically and I enjoy the instrumental parts, but operatic sopranos are basically impossible to understand when they're singing. Yes, very nice, you can sing very high; I know that's difficult because I'm a vocalist too, but that doesn't mean I want to hear your overstated vibrato more than your words.

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #13  
My friends used to get upset and get a kick out of my wide variety of music I had on my devices in high school. <x'D
My tastes stretch far, but I mostly stick with,
-Metal including Power/Thrash/Pirate/Black/Techno
-Classic Rock
-Hard Rock
-Electronica
-House and Dubstep
-Trance and EDM
-Classical and Vocal
-Acapella
-Video Game OSTs
-Movie OSTs
-Disco and Funk
-Comedy Songs
-Instrumental
-Cultural World Music from Mexico, Spain, Italy, Russia, India, China, Japan, Native American, Middle Eastern, African, etc.
-Theme Songs for TV shows
-Blues
-Jazz
-80-90's Pop
-Holiday songs
-Songs in other languages

Pretty much sums it all up I think... <x}
I'm the sort of person that enjoys writing while listening to music, so I have this ever-expanding playlist for writing.
>w> Got everything from vampire waltzes,
to danger/panic music,
to battle music,
to historical period music,
to weird alien beats. :3

I like Espy's playlist for CRT and Raster, and found some good songs to add that were recommended as I was listening to them both. <x3 So, uh, thanks Espy?

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I've got a couple tracks I've written in my art thread in my sig.

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 07:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #15  
I used to be able to NAIL the high notes back in high school, and I could do it with the power to back it up. I got moved to the Alto section because I was drowning out the other Sopranos in the section. and now I'm Alto to the lower end of the range and bordering Tenor.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 11:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
That reminds me of a story. I did musical theater when I was a kid. Got my start at six years old.

I was... probably 11 or 12 at the time? I had a solo part. Practiced, got it down, was happy with it.

And then my voice started changing, and my voice cracked and went painfully flat when I hit the high note at the climax of my part during the actual performance.

That was embarrassing...

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 11:39 PM Reply With Quote