Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #17  
"Any sort of knowledge is pretty good to know in general. Something you use to help you conjure flames could be something that ends up being a good manuever for putting a sword in a monster." Christoval beamed, kicking his legs for a second like a child. And of course it would mean getting to bother her with himself for just a little bit longer when the morning would come. Then came the topic of fights to the death, and Christoval gave a solemn nod. He wasn't aiming to actually wound the halfling, but sometimes accidents did happen. Though he felt more or less like he'd be the casualty in that regard. A small thought fleeted over towards Wisp, and what she would do if Arabella accidentally murdered him. "Stronger is usually better right?"

Ahh, the daughter-to-be was rightfully terrified, and a rather shit-eating, smarmy grin erupted from the dark mage's pallid face, before she snickered, her voice barely audible. The two were making it rather easy to pick on them, and she seemed to have found the sweet spot for her silver tongue to strike. The two seemed to enjoy their company a little more than anticipated. "No time for love? No wonder your cul-...Ahem. Organization...Is full of people with the proverbial stick up their ass." Wisp uttered a small, polite cough and looked at the two for a moment, suddenly feeling less like a wielder of dark, and more like a common matchmaker. If only her -own- master was looking at her now. "I've heard doing things tantric-wise is equivalent to a workout, if you're looking to kill two birds with one stone, apprentice and Christoval." A small pause. "Not to whore out my little knight-to-be."

Christoval was growing redder and redder, and his face felt like molten lava mixed with ghost peppers; a painful swallow creeping down his throat as he stared at both Kastivi and Wisp. Drinks. Yes drinks right now were needed. A lot of them. "Yeah. I...Need a pint. A big pint. Two pints." He stammered, spinning and nearly tumbling down onto his face before jogging to the bar.

Wisp of course watched Kastivi, to see if she'd follow the boy or not. "...I have other books if you need to chain my apprentice to your bed. I am unsure of your kinks, but I assume their less vanilla than you would lead on." Wisp chided, her snickering turning into outright boisterous laughter at this point. "I'm going to enjoy tormenting both of you. Relentlessly."
"I just want to come home," said the Astronaut.
"So come home," said Ground Control.
"So come home," said the Voice from the Stars.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort.
He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”
Death sighed. NO, he said,... THERE'S JUST ME.
Old Posted 01-12-2018, 09:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
“Well then,” Kastivi said, beaming back at the knight equally as bright, “I'd be happy to teach you. But something tells me training tomorrow is less to do with learning new skills and more to do with just...strength. Arabella said that it doesn't matter if we are the magic users in our party; that we need to be strong regardless of if we use our muscles or not. You never know when you need it...But we'll have our chances over the course of the quest, right?”Kastivi sighed and nodded her assent, “Usually. But sometimes simply outsmarting the enemy is the best way to go about it. It's best to be prepared for either instance.” She knew she was echoing back sentiments that the knight already knew and agreed with and decided the moment he impressed Arabella that this was going to be an excellent quest, despite the presence of the dark mage.

Kastivi didn't like that grin at all and she squirmed uneasily in her seat. “We're not a cult,” came the slightly too fast response, “I can't think of any cults that do well by the people of this land, not like we do. She said nothing about the “proverbial stick up the ass” part, actually partially agreeing with her. Her allowance of two drinks this evening was a rarity, and equally as rare was any chance of fun. Maybe that would change now that she was grouped with someone about her age. She, however, now matched the knight in redness, the hues first appearing on her cheeks, then spreading throughout her entire face. “T-T-Tantric? You mean like...like...sex? I suppose I wouldn't know about that, and you've never been subjected to one of Arabella's work outs,” she spat out, hoping that turning the conversation to her master would take it away from her and the knight.

Christoval was attractive yes, and she couldn't help but notice that he looked almost more so when he was this bashful, which made what Wisp was saying all the more painful. Arabella would never approve, and Kastivi certainly had had no time for even friends, let alone lovers. It wasn't that the Daughters of Ash were expected to be chaste or anything like that. The goddess smiled with active procreation and family building—but family building while also being an adventurer was difficult. Either a long time caretaker for any children made was a requirement, or that child would be accompanying them on their many adventures, and most Daughters found themselves chaste by default.

Kastivi was no exception, so now she was more than flustered enough, “Kinks? I don't even think I have any of those...”
Old Posted 01-14-2018, 03:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #19  
Christoval nodded a few times and forced a smile on his face, the young man reaching up to itch the back of his head. The most he heard learned about magic came from Wisp, and well. Receiving things from the gods and such were most definitely what he was taught about spellcasting. "Wisp always told me whispering to gods and shit for power was a joke, and that it came from force of will alone. I wonder which of you two are right then. Maybe both of you." He sputtered out. "Well, yeah. Eyes open. Mind open. That's uaully what I say to myself to make sure I fight well. I mean...I know a sword can't beat everything." He grumbled, patting his legs for a moment, "But I know for sure it'll at least cause a problem for even the toughest people."

Once Kastivi went off to get drinks, Wips looked over at the blustered and awkward looking knight and snickered, wriggling her fingers at him and perking a brow. "I would have taken you more for the Halfling. You have a thing for mentor-figures." She quipped, turning a page in a book, only to watch the knight close the back end of her tome; making her lose her page. Christoval frowned and flared his nostrils at the dark mage. "C'mon. You can at least be nice to the people we're traveling with." He huffed, crossing his arms and then closing the book again when she tried to open it. "I'll report you to the guild if you keep acting up. From what I know I'm gone, and it's the final strike in your record."

Wisp glowered at him and clenched a fist, before pointing in the direction Kastivi was heading. "You. Go now. Help her get drinks, and pray to whatever god you like that come tomorrow when we spar, you don't end up getting your life sucked out and fed to imps."

Christoval returned the glower with a dejected sigh and dragged himself along the way towards the Daughter-to-be; giving Wisp a few precious moments of peace to herself - Wisp letting out a grunt and recrossing her legs, before tossing the book she was reading in her own knapsack, and then moving over to peer into Christoval's.

"The idiot forgot to pack his rations again..."

Old Posted 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi looked back over her shoulder as she made her way to the bar, almost bumping into one of the patrons in her retreat. She put up her hands as if to show that she meant no ill-will and before she utter a small apology, the man shoved past her, grumbling something about the “damn youth” of the nation today. Kastivi's mouth snapped shut, and she shook her head, cracking her jaw inhaling deeply. Not worth it, Kastivi. He's not worth it. None of the other patrons noticed the exchange, and Kastivi decided to brush it off. Soon she'd have ale. That thought, at least, was comforting.

When she finally got to the bar, she laid her forearm flat, planting herself in one of the stools, if only to establish her own place. The rougher, more tumbly, crowd seemed to be out tonight, and she didn't want to start any unnecessary issues with mere civilians. Then, she thought to herself, I might not have too much of a say in that if we accidentally rub Wisp the wrong way... Plastering a shit-eating grin across her cheeks when the bartender. “Three pints, please,” she said in her most polite voice.

The bartender responded with only a nod before turning to fetch the requested beverage and Kastivi found herself sighing, Geesh. Why is everyone in this town so mean? The bartender set the mugs down on the counter and promptly held out his hand, into which Kastivi dropped a few coins and the bartender left. Christoval's approaching form was a sight for sore eyes and she felt a genuine smile creep its way in, “I've already got them, if we want to head back. How well do you think everyone is going to work together? We still haven't met our healer...”
Old Posted 01-29-2018, 02:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #21  
Christoval was a bit more deft when it came to manuevering around the more veteran populace; the young knight giving people as wide of a berth as he could, and throwing himself to the side when a small group of older generations were walking together. Half of the reason was to avoid conflict. The other half simply was due to the fact the kid seemed to share some of the juju that Wisp had. People looked at him like he was some form of cursed being walking the Earth, and even touching them led to some form of altercation. More than once in their brief time, Wisp had to come his rescue, much to his embarrassment. Scooting his way past a series of knights in scorched armor, Christoval wrinkled his nose at the smell of burning hair, and carried onwards.

Once Kastivi's (gorgeous) presence was in sight, Christoval began fumbling the words in his head and was about to blurt out the first thing that came to mind in order to try and strike a conversation with her, the mention of his favorite breads getting spared from coming out vocally by her question. Sniffling and kicking at some dirt on the floor, Christoval scrunched his face and then rubbed his hands together to keep them from fidgeting. "I...Really can't say. I work well with Wisp. I think we'll get along. I'm just worried about our mentors. They don't really seem to get along. And the last thing we need is to pull the two of them out of an arcane fist fight."

Christoval held out his hands to take both the mug for himself, and to carry Wisp's mug as well; his face going into deep thought. "I forgot we even needed a healer to be frank. I hope it's someone who can mediate well. It'd be nice to have someone keep the peace. Or at the very least, I hope they're sweet and cheery. I could do with a bit less gloom and doom from Wisp, if I'm gonna be honest. Hard to try and be chivalrous when she's reminding me that being a knight is stupid." Christoval huffed. "It's not. It's a chance to do something good for the world."

Old Posted 01-29-2018, 04:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi's smile was contagious in the sense that it just seemed to keep growing as Christoval approached. He was handsome. Very handsome. His blue eyes were like reflective pools, at once taking in the atrocities of the world and taking pity on it, a willingness to fight and die for it should the need arise. Where Kastivi was all fire, Christoval was all ice, snow white hair, pale skin, icy eyes. The two were the most unlikely pair, and they were situated together, freezing Yin to the burning Yang. Now, she stood, forcing her smile to be a bit more tamed, re-setting the mugs on the counter and straightening her clothes.

She didn't look much like the locals either, still after all of these years wearing the uniform of the Southern nations of sturdy, but well worn, well worked cloth, the color of earth, the top tight about her chest but exposing her midriff, her pants a comfortably fitting loose but not in the way. She'd earned her fair share of sideways glances, but most pointed at her and Arabella with a sense of reverence; everyone knowing immediately that the Daughters were here on some sort of official mission and wondering which one they would successfully complete—and who would be lucky enough to get them. They were bastions of light, a light that to Kastivi's dismay, could not be overlooked or unnoticed. “Ara is generally so even tempered. I was amazed to see her behave like that with Wisp. I wonder what kind of history they have,” Kastivi finally said with a sort of nervous laugh and an equally as nervous eyeroll. “I'm just hoping that they'll figure out a way to keep the peace, or that they are willing to overlook their differences for the sake of the world.”

She picked up her mug, blushing at the fact that he went to pick up his own as well as Wisp's. She'd intended to just bring them over, but was glad for the company. “If it...if it makes you feel any better, I don't think knights are stupid. The world could use some good, and it's up to us to put it there, yeah?”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Percival Gray opened his inn door at the sound of knocking, wincing at the sound of the merrymaking emanating from the bar downstairs. It was loud, and he'd at least appreciated the fact that it was somewhat muffled with the door closed, now, with this nervous looking messenger in front of him there was nothing to separate him from the noise and he looked at the poor messenger with tired eyes, expecting the visitor to say something. He didn't, so Percy said something first: “....Yes?”

“Uhm...Uhm...Here!” The messenger couldn't have been more than ten, a lean lanky boy with shaggy brown hair looked up at the tall mage who in turn took out the paper that was being held up to him, his eyes quickly taking in the contents. “Arabella Fairfoot, eh? I've worked with her befo---And Wisp!? Who the bloody hells put together this list, and further, who the bloody hells assigned me to it?!”

The boy, expecting a strong, kind, jovial mage had all of his expectations shattered, and took a step back, his eyes wide, “S-sir, I'm just the messenger.”

Percy's eyes went back down to the boy, having to travel quite a ways down given his height, and he sighed, “Tell them I'll do it, but only because I have to. Getting paired with Wisp and two younglings is not the kind of job I signed up for. I'll be healing more from infighting than actual battles.”

“T-to be fair, sir, sir, Ara's apprentice isn't new. She's been her apprentice for years now, and she shows promise, sir,” the boy stammered, wringing his hands.

“What about the other one? This Christoval fellow?”

“He doesn't seem to be bad, sir. Talk of the guild says it's a miracle he's still alive giv'n his tutelage, s-sir.”

Percival scoffed and shut the door, plopping back down on his bed with a tired sigh. Undoubtedly, he at least had until dawn before he had to worry about the likes of that party.
Old Posted 01-29-2018, 04:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #23  
Once they were conversing, everything about Christoval seemed to relax. A tense look towards his general gait seemed to relax and ease itself as the man let his hands break free and rest gently, the young knight taking hold of his own mug of ale and taking a haphazard sip; Christoval smacking his lips for a moment and letting the surge of cool alcohol cascade around his mouth and then trail down his throat, only for a burp to bubble up and leak out of his mouth; the man covering his face and going slightly red, and then smiling sheepishly at Kastivi. "Shit, uh. Excuse me." He leaked out, snickering and then shaking his head.

They were polar opposites, from the tone of their skin and shades of their eyes to personality. Where her clothes were worn and sturdy, the little knight seemed to be kept in well-worn and fresh looking, cool and breezy attire from the Summer Isles in the west. Definitely different, but not enough to stand out currently where they were. If anything the boy could have probably passed for at the very least, the son of a well-off merchant. It was always the brooding dark mage that seemed to have a negative impact for him. Not that he seemed to mind. Something about Wisp too made him wanna stay and learn from her. Maybe it was all more than just a test. Maybe it was a sign to try and help the mage out with her own problems. At least, that was how he was looking at it. "I've honestly never seen Wisp talk to someone as much as her though. Even though it wasn't exactly the most friendly of chats. Maybe we should ask them about it at some point. If we both show concern, they'll have to at least try and make sure we're not gonna be stuck with two liabilities. Not to say our mentors are such things but...You know what I mean." He trailed off and downed another few gulps of his mug, and then resumed. "Could definitely be worse. They could be on the wrong side of things. Evil and whatnot. I can deal with bickering if it means I don't have to see Wisp try and lay a city to waste or something."

"We're not stupid. We just want the best for the world. Well, most of us." Christoval said, pride booming in his chest as he smiled at her. "Sure, there's not always gonna be only good knights. But as long as I'm alive, there's gonna be one! Soon as I can find an order who'd wanna take me in."

Old Posted 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi, too, could feel the tension leaving her muscles despite the reddening in her cheeks. Her face erupted into grins and a tamed fit of laughter when it was his turn to blush and she took her own swig, unable to suppress a grimace on her own face—but managing to get it all down on the inside rather than down her top. She wasn't used to drinking; it wasn't often that her master allowed her to, saying that nothing is better than clarity, and alcohol takes that clarity away. She wondered if that rule would be more enforced or more lax now that they were in a party with Wisp.

“I suppose we'll have to see where tomorrow takes us,” Kastivi said with a grin and a shrug. “We still have to meet the other members of our party. I'm guessing, since we haven't met them yet, that we'll be seeing who they are tomorrow. Arabella has the list with her in the room, and there is no way in hell I'll be going back up there to see.” She laughed, snorting a bit at the end and turned red once more. “Ehm...Sorry,” she choked out, trying desperately to get back to the conversation she added, “And there will be at least two good mages so long as Ara and I draw breath.”

She stood and stretched, grabbing her drink, “No, I never thought you were stupid. I've had a good feeling about you since I found out we were going to be questing together, honestly. My intuition doesn't seem to be wrong much these days either.” The smile she wore was genuine, radiant as the flames she could produce, “Why do you need an order though? Don't you think you're doing better going where the trouble is rather than waiting for it to come?” She took a sip of her ale and cast a glance in the direction of Wisp's table. There were enough people that she couldn't see the mage, but she turned back to Christoval, “Do you think we should be getting back?”
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 05:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #25  
There was a bit of commotion as the the next person to make her entrance into the guildhall arrived; a few people pointing and looking on and then whispering to themselves. it wasn't often they had veterans coming through the doors these days, and especially ones that had done more to earn their keep. The woman was a bit on the tall side, muscled arms glistening in paint and sweat as she looked around before deciding on keeping the rather vicious and large looking sword she had on her person.

If they weren't looking at her because she was caked in war paint and dirt, it was definitely the lack of clothing. It seemed like the woman was something out of the hellish wastes to the southeast, where barbarian tribes ruled without question. A loincloth and and leather bindings were all that were keeping her decent, and the only real article of clothing someone could say she was wearing was the cloak of matted and dirty fur that had the faint smell of wet dog.

Enter: Deadwaltz.

It wasn't her real name, but rather the moniker other people had given her after they witnessed the woman dancing on the bodies of orcs and other monsters she had slain in front of people. Rumors abound, the woman was a monster among humanity. And she knew it.

One of the guildkeepers looked towards her and waved her over for a moment; Deadwaltz bounding over towards her and beaming like a child, before swishing her cloak around; the Guildkeeper wrinkling his nose at the smell, before shaking his head. "No contracts worth you salt. Nothing big around here in these parts. Unless you're looking for some sort of goblin slaying. Doesn't seem like your kinda w-"

"Gimme! Mah sword kills things, no matter what they are!" Deadwaltz said, booming with laughter that made her form jiggle a little; earning the eye of one of the younger recruits near her, before he went red in the face and turned away. "I ain't anything to fight anymore. Ogres is moving to the mountains to take their big sleep. Other guildie stole mah dragon. It's unfair." Deadwaltz pouted, crossing her arms and kicking at the desk, making it bounce a bit.

"Only problem is the contract is a training session too. A Daughter and her apprentice. And then. Ahem. Wisp. Also another healer. Don't know him personally." The Guildkeeper murmured, wincing and waiting for the response from Deadwaltz, who blinked a few times.

"Wisp? Ah love her! She's funny. Makes people mad. They walk away instead of punching her. No wonder people avoid her. I threw her into a river and she leaves me alone. Ah'll take it!" Deadwaltz offered a small bow at the befuddled Guildkeeper, before looking around. "Ah need beer. And to find mah healer we're traveling with. Hmph. Stupid healers. Ain't around when ah need them." Storming off, the woman began her trek, grabbing people by their clothing and pulling them in close to ask them if they were hunting goblins, earning bewildered responses and a few innuendos about gripping spears.

"Ah mean, I dunno why you'd want me to grip your spear. Ah got mah own..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Looking down towards his mug and noticing a good portion was gone, Christoval sighed and then looked at the bit of ale meant for Wisp, longing in his eyes, though he steeled himself rather well. God knows what Wisp would have done to him if he had drank her ale, even a sip. The mage had a knack for getting him to admit things. The trip was starting to look better, with the thought of Kastivi being around while he was venturing. His redness seemed to subside a bit and knight-to-be was at full-ease while he soaked in every ounce of the Daughter that he could keep in his eyes.

"Tomorrow should be fun. Being in the woods is one of my favorite things ever. Reminds me of playing with sticks and pretending to hunt down monsters when I was younger. Dad and Mom would pretend to be beasts and such." Christoval laughed, shaking his head and finishing his mug. "Like I said, I'll do my best to rein Wisp in if needed, provided you make sure to try and keep Arabella from provoking her too much. And then we can explain anything needed to the healer." Christoval swirled his finger gingerly across the rim of his mug and sniffled for a moment, shrugging his shoulders. "We've got three. I don't mean to belittle you both, but Wisp is...Well, she's pretty good too. If a bit scary when she has to get really serious." Christoval said with a small shudder, his face going blank and pale.

Color returned, however, and the young man looked towards her and offered a small smile. "I'm glad you don't think I'm stupid. I got a lot of people telling me that. I guess people don't have a lot of faith in my choice of future. Times change and all, but I am not gonna let anything stop me." Her question made him wrinkle his face, and he looked upwards a bit in thought, biting his lip for a second while he tried to surmise an answer, before huffing and sighing. "I just...I guess I just wanna belong to something big and important. Peasants. Farmers. They...We...Don't get a lot of opportunity thrown our way. My luckiest prospect before starting this was hoping some merchant's daughter thought I was cute enough to marry....You're right though. Let's head back to Wisp. Surprised she's not looking for us now. She's paranoid when I'm gone too long."

Old Posted 02-04-2018, 01:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi was already halfway through hers, but she was starting to feel the effects. It wasn't often she got her hands on a good pint of ale, and this pint was good. When she was a kid she'd had plenty with the mode of thought seeming to be that if they were old enough to spend a day in the fields, they were old enough to enjoy a bit of alcohol before bed. After all, what trouble did it bring? But the ale there was weak unless what she'd had was something meant for children. But after being taken in by Ara, her lips rarely touched the rim of a mug as a Daughter must always be ready and in clear mind.

She took another swig, sighing happily and moving to make her way through the crowd. “I love the woods as well, though they don't bring back childhood memories, thankfully. I was on my way to my second decade living by the time I first saw them with Ara. By then, I was well beyond pretend. The battles we had were real, though on the easy side for her.” Kastivi chuckled, snorting a bit, and rolled her eyes. “She'd stand by and watch my struggle, stepping in only when she saw that I couldn't do it by myself, shouting orders from the sidelines. Those were the times I learned the most, and I wouldn't be surprised if she did the same for this mission. It seems like one of the easier ones.”

Turning to look at him, she could feel her heart welling up seeing his small smile etched onto pale skin. He was the epitome of what a knight should look like, at least according to her own mind. Knights, after all, rarely came from the southern nations. They were all the fair-skinned blue-eyed northerners. Prior to her rescue with Ara, she'd never seen any of these white men, but now that they were well within the northern borders, her awe at them had subsided some time before. Now, she was more amazed than anything that one of them had not only bothered to give her the time of day but seemed to actually enjoy her company. That sentiment was returned. The pair were opposites, true, but in a complementing way. “And you shouldn't. Ehm, let anything stop you, I mean. You've got the right heart for adventuring, for protecting the innocent from evil. Just have to keep working your way up, right? I mean, there's something to joining this way of life willingly. I stumbled upon it. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's not something I'd ever dreamed of as a small lass.”

She chuckled, drinking in as much of those blue eyes as possible. “I don't doubt her, as I don't doubt you...My laughter from before was due to you claiming to take on Arabella. Don't get me wrong, she's little—but she's fast and powerful. One day, perhaps, but you, just like me, don't have the experience to take her on yet. We're too young. We haven't seen enough yet. We'll get there. But if you sparred with her tomorrow, just like if I were to spar with Wisp tomorrow—we'd both end up as defeated. Do you understand what I'm saying? Our mentors are strong and, for the time being, it would be foolish to think we can do anything besides learn from them. I guess that's just my own perspective now, but who knows? Maybe it will change!”

Laughing once more, she turned back to the crowd and started in, “C'mon, let's get back to Wisp. We'll have plenty of time to talk on the road, yes?”
Old Posted 02-04-2018, 08:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #27  
"My first time actually seeing things didn't...Go well. I was the only one of two who managed to make it alive out of a group of seven." Christoval said plainly, the man looking deep into the empty well of his mug while he frowned for moment. It was goblins. It was always those green little shits. They harassed his family when he was farming with them. They harassed him and his little caravan when he had first arrived to his first guild, "Guess I learned a couple of things about battle. It's a struggle no matter what, for both sides. That, and every single little green monster deserves to get slain." There was a hint of bitterness in his voice, and for a brief moment he sounded like some sort of disciple in line with Wisp.

Taking a few breaths to cool himself down, Christoval collected his thoughts and recalled his own accounts with Wisp. "I don't think I've seen Wisp even use an ounce of what she's capable of. I've watched her chant something and then purple smoke made an ogre choke to death, and she just kinda...Shrugged it off. Not sure if it's because she's a dark mage or not. It's kinda scary to watch when you're just good at swinging metal." Christoval said with a nervous chuckle. "Well, if Arabella decides on hanging back, she's gonna have a really bad day. Wisp doesn't believe in that. She'll make her do her fair share, even if she has to paralyze you with a spell." Christoval hiccuped for a second and frowned. "It's...It's not a fun experience. I ended up the guinea pig for that spell."

Christoval's spine tingled and the young knight wriggled his toes in his boots; Pale eyes looking every which way except towards Kastivi as he tried not to let on the fact he was oogling her every chance he had gotten when her attention was directed elsewhere. The dark skin was rather...Tantalizing. He was so used to people with paler complexions, and like a smaller, more juvenile child, he wanted to ask her if it was the same as his. "That's the plan. Keep working at it. Who knows? I work a lot with Wisp. I'd be open to staying with her if she wanted. I'm learning and that's the important bit. "

Once their eyes locked, the boy was putty in Kastivi's hands though, the man smiling like a shit-eating, love smitten knight. "You gotta uh, remember though. They've just got experience on us. That doesn't make them better. Smarts can usually win in the long run. Patience. And then remember to do things they didn't teach you. They expect you to only know what you've taught them." Christoval shrugged. "You could beat Wisp. I've done it a few times. Her pride is the biggest weakness. Insult her enough and she acts out without a backup plan when she misses."

The two moved over towards the Dark Mage, only to see a large, blonde, near-naked woman hugging the Dark Mage nearly lifeless; Wisp kicking and snarling at the woman.

"Get off me you large, ugly oaf."

"AAAAH! WISP. YAH STILL LOOKING LIKE YAH HATE EVERYTHING. MAH FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOU."

Old Posted 02-05-2018, 04:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi surveyed her mug's innards seeing that she still had half left. Christoval had drained his. She'd been in parties with deaths before, but she'd been given the leisure of starting off at beginning level quests, working her way up. She'd been with Arabella five years before she saw anyone belonging to her group die. She thought then that she'd never recover, and then it was only one. But then it had happened again, later, and still again after that. At some point she'd come to recognize it as a fact of adventuring, a fact of life. She wanted to tell him that she was sorry, though she didn't know for what. It wasn't her hand that claimed his friends' lives. But then, he spoke of their deaths so casually, perhaps he was simply saying that he'd seen plenty—which she didn't doubt, even as an apprentice. Hells, she'd been an apprentice for a decade. She'd seen her fair share as well. It was his next statement that made her look from her half-full mug to the knight, hearing that bitterness, “Well, starting tomorrow we'll be making a dent on that undertaking, yes? We're going to make the world a slightly better place, in our own small way, until we can do it in a larger way.”

Kastivi pressed her lips together, feeling the tension that emanated from Christoval's person and waited for it to subside before offering a grin and a what-can-you-do sort of shrug, “It isn't like Ara is lazy. Just the opposite. But on those missions that are easy enough for a beginner, she saw those as good opportunities to take off the training pads, so to speak. Let me struggle so I could learn in real time. She'd never let anything bad happen to me, believe you me. Besides, when she let me fight on my own, it was more rewarding than anything, and she worked just as hard observing and giving advice.” She shrugged again is if for emphasis, “But, I'll be sure to pass the word.”

She looked down fiddling with her hands, that smile lighting her up brighter than any flame and she tried to bite back her own schoolgirl-crush smile, “Ara says the same thing. Smarts is where it's at, though I still don't think I can beat her though. She's incredibly strong for coming in such a small package. I'll never forget seeing my shock at seeing my rescuer--” Kastivi's voice trailed off when she saw what, or rather who, was waiting for them with Wisp. She'd never seen anyone quite like her, though obviously Wisp knew her.

She blinked at Christoval, “Do you know her?”
Old Posted 02-07-2018, 06:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #29  
In and out. Deep breaths. It's like Wisp says. Sometimes anger is good. Sometimes it's bad. This is a bas time. Christoval murmured in his head as he subsided his anger and sourness towards his own stories. Death unsettled him beyond all reason. There were so many reasons and places to go when one had died, it was impossible to even imagine where he'd end up. Let alone his own mother and father, and the thought of them, along with all the grand people he had met earning a sulfurous, anguishing eternal end made him shake a little, though the thoughts faded out as soon as they arrived; Kastivi's voice the siren song that lulled him back to the Tavern, and not in the realm of 'What-if.' and worry. "We'll make a dent on everything. Doing good for everyone. Ending the lives of evil things, and monsters. " Christoval huffed, shaking his plume of white hair and bringing back that smile. "Can't dwell on the bad. Knights don't do that, right?"

"I guess that's unusual. Wonder why Wisp is taking a more...Caring approach to me then. All the rumors seem to point that she doesn't like working with new people like me." Christoval uttered, staring incredulously, and then suppressing a sneeze that had happened to try and creep up on him. This damn place always seemed to trigger some sort of allergy, and soon enough his nose was beginning to grow pink. The thought of Kastivi in the heat of a skirmish however, sent the young man's mind racing, both towards the imaginings of seeing her fight. And the inevitable aftwards of glistening skin. Delicious. "It's weird. Hearing you struggle and such, and then have to deal with a lot of the training. But look on the bright side. You have someone who will teach you how to do everything. I'm stuck just...Hoping for the best when it comes to swordplay. Least the healer will be here if I screw up really bad..."

Her smile was going to be the death of him at this rate, and the more Christoval looked towards that gorgeous face, the more and more his smitten heart raced like a dog after a hound. "It's true though. People don't beat ogres with strength. They outsmart then. Same thing goes with a lot of monsters that I've read about in Wisp's books." Christoval beamed, wriggling in place and then swerving out of the way of a larger, Northern looking man clad in splint mail. "Just gotta have more faith in yourself. I mean, I think y-" Christoval himself was flabbergasted and just stood there as a blonde-haired, dirt-coated woman was hugging the life out of Wisp; the young knight moving in and trying to seperate them, only for Deadwaltz to simply flex and shoulder bump him off; Christoval landing backwards on his ass in front of Kastivi, looking back at her and shrugging. "I have no clue who she is."

"Ahhhh! Yah got younglings too Wisp!" Deadwaltz screamed, finally dropping a sweat-coated Wisp onto her feet; the dark mage looking similar to a cat who was thrown into a bathtub.

"One of them is mine. The boy you slammed to the ground. Christoval. The other girl is his love interest." Wisp said plainly.

Deadwaltz turned on her heels and beamed at the two, clapping her hands together and then resting them on her cheeks. "Ah! Lovers. Cute and whatnot. When yah gonna have kids, ah wanna see them! Though you look really young for...Ah...Slamming pelvises and shooting kids into another. Hold hands first. Then fuck like rabbits."

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 11:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
“Mm, I imagine some might. I mean, with different motivations and all that. It would depend on the kind of knight you are, I guess,” Kastivi said, honestly and with a smile. The knight was as pleasant to look at as he was to talk to, and Kastivi was going savor the conversation as much as she could before returning to one of the mentors. She found herself wondering if on their journeys they'd ever have some time to themselves, like it was now. As soon as the thought struck her, however, it dawned on her that she'd never hoped that for any of the other parties they'd been paired with—Christoval immediately setting himself apart from the rest. He, like her, was just an apprentice, and yet she saw in him a kindred spirit--that type of fellowship rare--and she hoped it wouldn't be as temporary as just this mission.

“Something tells me you're doing just fine. Besides, maybe it's better to develop your own style than to abide by the rules put in place. They won't expect it. Hell, Ara might not even be able to pick it up at first if she hasn't seen it.

Kastivi had been preparing to hold out her hand to the woman to introduce herself, believing introductions were indeed in order but was stopped in her tracks with Kastivi's words, cinnamon colored cheeks turning the shade of a fresh picked tomato and for a moment just stood staring dumbly at Wisp, mouth half agape, eyes wide. She kept that same expression looking at Christoval and waited for him to deny it. He didn't.

She shut her mouth, tried to wet her mouth that had gone dry, and tried to bite back a sheepish smile. He didn't deny it! She could have been over the moon at that moment and her eyes were still shining as she tried to force an ineffective scowl and put her hands up, “I don't know that I'll have kids, ma'am. Being a Daughter is hard enough work as it is....” She, too, wouldn't deny it.
Last edited by sylvanSpider; 02-10-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old Posted 02-09-2018, 05:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #31  
It was hard to describe what he felt for the darker-skinned girl in his head; the emotions and attempts to bring about what he thought about her into a coherent thought in his head being swirled and thrown about in a tumultuous cacophony; several orchestras being played in unison together. Christoval could only smile, and at the same be confused and memorized by the woman. Christoval's brain finally succeeded in quieting the vast ocean of loud thought, and only one word was still reverberating in his mind, and that word was 'gorgeous.' Such a simple word to try and describe the ethereal beauty she was.

"I've got bits and pieces of everything. Flitterdancing with smaller swords from the East. A few tricks the Orcish fighters know. I think I even managed to sneak in one hour of training with a arqubusier brigade before Wisp yelled at me for wandering off." Christoval said with a broad smile. Maybe his confidence was doing wonders in making Kastivi believe in his prowess. Or she was just indulging a naive younger man when it came to the prospect of going toe-to-toe with her own mentor.

Moving back up to his feet and dusting bits of straw, animal fur, and dirt off of his pants Christoval looked at Wisp and Deadwaltz in a bizarre fashion of horror and morbid curiosity. Who in the hell was this person so casually walking up to Wisp and hugging her like she was one of the larger woman's kin? And why exactly was Wisp not screeching like a wounded animal and clawing at the girl, like she had done with nearly everyone else he had witnessed trying to get physical with Wisp? Kicking his feet and pressing his hands into his back, Christoval's fruit punch colored face shot like a rubber ball between Wisp, Deadwaltz and then Kastivi. "You all make so many claims! I barely even know her...Though she's definitely already one of the best people already getting to be called friend by me." Christoval stammered, wishing to bury his head in more mugs of ale. At least he could have said his drinking was an excuse for the blush overwhelming his features.

Deadwaltz was content enough in how embarassed Christoval looked to hold back on picking on him further, her attentions now aimed towards Kastivi. The barbaric looking woman was pleasant enough in her demeanor, and she wriggled in place, before taking each end of her own fur cloak with her hands and wrapping herself into it like a cocoon. "Ah shit, Wisp. Yah got the Daughters running around with yahself? I thought yah said they was dumber than two kobolds arguing over whose dick was bigger." She bellowed, no filter or adjustment in volume with her crude language. "PFfffft! Girl, Daughter. Whatever yah name is. The moment that lad puts it in yah, you got the chance to get a kiddo." Deadwaltz boomed, hearty laughter escaping her voice, before holding up a sliver of paper. "Ah, shit! Ah guess yah lot is the group I'm traveling with as well! Ah was looking for the healer too. Ah got this itchy patch on mah left cheek of mah ass. Kidding. I just gotta make sure the bloke knows what he's doing."

Wisp took the brief moments of clarity from being swarmed by Deadwaltz, to introduce the woman as well as glare at Christoval and whip him back into the semblence of a knight, and not a younger lad whose virility and interest in Kastivi was being discussed out in the open. "Christoval. Your face is red. Stop. Also, you said you were coming back with ale." A small cough. "This is...This is Deadwaltz. If you're familiar with her, and her exploits. She's tolerable, and a welcome addition in my opinion."

Old Posted 02-11-2018, 10:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi looked at her companion in admiration with just how many fighting styles he'd managed to glean from, any tricks learned shrouded in mystery. She very much looked forward to seeing him in action—especially given the fact that his mentor actually said she saw something in him. Even having just met Wisp, she could tell that that was no easy feat. Her understanding of his fighting would come when she saw him fight, however, and if he looked as attractive as he did now, red-faced and stammering at a bar, she may have to avert her eyes. Ser Christoval was the picture perfect vision of a knight, clean, pure, crisp...perhaps even chivalrous. Other knights that she'd worked with had been less so, offering to pledge fealty to her in exchange for crude things done to her—but she'd chased them all away easily. They lacked maturity, discipline, or any semblance of civility that even the lowliest adventurer should have been at least aware of. Christoval was different.

And there it was: the denial. Kastivi couldn't help her face contorting slightly to one of disappointment, but his words rang true; the knight did barely know the firedancer, and the firedancer him. Her eyes went up to meet his at the word “friend,” and in a moment's notice her smile was already sincere and on her face. Her eyes went back to Deadwaltz, however, when she spoke—about the Daughters of Ash no less. Kobolds, really?! Her eyes went back to Wisp for confirmation and unlike Christoval, the denial was not there. Cheeks flushing, she pressed her lips together in a firm line, choosing not to say anything in response to that, Ara's words echoing in her head Keep your head down, and if you can't say anything nice stay silent. Silence was golden after all. So instead of speaking, she drained the last of her ale almost choking at Deadwaltz's next comment.

“He hasn't put anything in me!” Kastivi stammered, voice cracking on the word 'anything,' already flushed cheeks darkening. She had to keep herself from adding “yet” but thankfully caught herself on that one. He said it himself. Friends. Yes, that was it. Besides, who could tell where they would wind up once this quest was finished? He would go with his mentor, she with hers; they may never see each other again. Best not to get attached as Ara would say. She cleared her throat, setting her mug down on the table, “Well, if you have Wisp's approval, then I am predicting a smooth journey and I'll be pleased by your company. As far as the healer goes, I have yet to meet him. The list simply said 'Percival' and Arabella seemed pleased by it, so I am sure we are in good hands.”

Best to start off on the right foot, so kind words and etiquette were in play here—both things that Arabella had taught her. The small farming community that Kastivi hailed from was not one known for being polite, its populace consisting of strong farmhands whose knowledge lay deep in the scent of fresh tilled soil, the sights of a myriad of colors painting the scenery at harvest, the sweat of the brow of a hard day's work, less so learning the proper utensils when eating such and such a dish. Harder than teaching Kastivi the manners themselves was telling her why. It was a concept that lay just beyond Kastivi's reach then, finding utterly no need for it. Why shouldn't she talk with food in her mouth if she had something to say? It wasn't like she was spitting it on the table. No, Arabella went through painstaking measures to see to it that she learned, and she did learn—in manners and literacy. Now Kastivi resembled the southern nations in appearance and dress only.

The conversation carried on in much this manner and Kastivi found herself relaxing after a spell. Deadwaltz was harmless, she gathered, so long as she was on your side. Thankfully, she was. She picked up her second allotted ale and the fellowship continued until she looked down at the empty well of her mug in dismay saying, “As much as I hate to cut this short, we leave at dawn tomorrow and I really must be ready for it.”

++++

As Kastivi predicted, dawn came too early when she was awoken by the scent of Arabella's tea. That was all she needed to wake up, opening her eyes to see that the sun had barely begun its ascent into the dawn's sky, the orb just a small sliver in the horizon now. She sat up, rubbing her eyes seeing the halfling packing the few belongings that she'd gotten out of her pack.

“Good morning, sleepyhead. Are you ready to begin our adventure today? I put a few extra ingredients in the tea today, should ease your head in case you drank more than the two last night,” Arabella said, uncharacteristically chipper.

Kastivi's eyebrow raised and she eyed the halfling with suspicion, “You wouldn't have been mad at me?”

Arabella chuckled and stretched, arms extending to the ceiling but only going about as high as Kastivi's shoulder as she sat in bed, “I wasn't going to be upset; I saw the way you were looking at that boy. I would have understood. I was young once too, you know.”

Kastivi flushed as she got out of bed, taking the cup of tea that was extended to her. Instead of mentioning Christoval Kastivi looked to her mentor a tired but playful glint in her eye, “I only had two though. I listened.”

Arabella brightened further, if indeed it was possible and reached up to ruffle Kastivi's wild hair taking note of the absence of a certain boy in her words. This she took as an assent; she'd hit the nail square on, “Drink up. The others are meeting in the hall downstairs.”

+__+__+__+

Percival was the first in their group to get to the hall, and the first of the customers to order a round of eggs and some cheese curds with a hot cup of tea. As he waited, he opened one of his tomes, flipping through the well-worn book and bringing out a quill and pen. These he kept in his innermost breast pocket for safe-keeping as well as ease of access. He began an entry.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 11:52 PM Reply With Quote