Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Writer
Default Dungeons and Derpy OOC   #1  
So, looks like we already have two poor victims brave players: Welcome, mdom and Kaderin!

This shall be the chat thread for questions, commentaries and dragon pictures.
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
I don't know what to do, help
except saving Derpy at all costs, including killing other players
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 06:01 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #3  
Derpy waddles in, waving a tiny pitchfork around. "Lemme at 'em!"
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 06:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
You have already figured out how to launch the game, right? Then you're already halfway there.

a) Help! I don't know how to launch it!

b) This shit looks confusing!

Umm yeah it does. But we only need a select few features.

Chat: Type your message in the nifty little box and hit send. Easy enough.
Actions: That's the bold italic orange part in my screenshot. They are done by adding /me in front of the text.
eg. /me gives Derpy a donut.

and of course the most important...
dice rolls!

/roll 1d6 will roll one 6-sided die
/roll 1d20 will roll one 20-sided die
/roll 3d100 will roll three 100-sided dice

and so on.

Go ahead and try it.
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 06:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #5  
I want to be a bard how do I do that
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
...turns out, I can't actually play
So that's fun.
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 07:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #7  
Ack. Alright then, give me a day or so to come up with an alternative.
If nothing else, we can resort to random.org for the dice rolls.
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 07:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Oh wait, hold up. They actually have an app. Lemme see if that will work before we try alternate means. XD

Update: the app kind of works, but only loads/opens properly with a wifi connection, which is annoying. Also, help! I don't know how to set up a character sheet very well!
XD
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 12-13-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old Posted 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #9  
We will get to the character building and sheets in a moment, don't worry.

So, I'll leave it up to you. Do you think you can work with the app? The main thing we need will be dice rolls, character sheets and maybe the map - but I can also easily put maps and sheets here into the thread in case the app is too annoying (never tried it myself, only played on the regular pc version).

Roll20 just happened to be the site I'm somewhat familiar with, but it is certainly not the only option. I want y'all to have fun, that's the most important point here. Did some research, and I can offer https://rolz.org/dr?room=Trisphee for another quick and easy way to play. No fancy features, just basic dice and chat. On the plus side, you don't even need to register.

Opinions?
Old Posted 12-14-2018, 05:58 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Will have to test rolz tonight. It seems to be much more simplistic and easier for my dumb phone to handle. But hard to say for sure until I am not connected to a source of wifi.
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 12-14-2018, 07:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #11  
Alright, no problem ^^

Meanwhile, mdom: we'll determine the ability skills at random. You roll 4d6 and add the number of the highest three (eg. your roll is 2,3,5,5 - discard the 2, add the rest, this gives you a score of 13). Since there are six different abilities, repeat five more times.

A brief overview of stats with examples how they might come into play

Strength. How much you can carry, how crushing a blow you can land, whether or not you're able to lift a heavy oak table in the tavern on your own.

Dexterity. How easy you keep your balance on wet floor, how silent you sneak, whether or not you can juggle.

Constitution. How many hits you can take, how long you can walk, whether or not you spend the night on the toilet after that suspicious cheap stew.

Intelligence. How well you remember information, how good you are at research, whether or not you can read a map.

Wisdom. How good you are with animals, how much you can trust your intuition, whether or not you're able to find food and shelter in the wilderness.

Charisma. How confident you are, how fast you can persuade people, whether or not you can bluff your way through a game of cards.

Each one of your dice results will be assigned to one of these scores. As a bard, it's probably a good idea to put your highest score into charisma and your second highest into dexterity, but of course you can distribute them any way you see fit. After all it's up to you whether you want to be more like a sophisticated elven bard singing a minnelied at the king's court who airs grace in every word, or a ribald half-orc drinking everyone under the table before playing dirty songs. There's no right or wrong way to be a bard.
Old Posted 12-15-2018, 05:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Looks like rollz will work alright. I didn't test the actual chatting function, but it loads relatively quick.
Guess that means I'll need to print out a character sheet then though?
Old Posted 12-17-2018, 07:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #13  
We can keep character sheets on a thread in Trisphee. Or you print one, whatever you prefer. Don't know how easy or tedious it is to switch back and forth between tabs on your phone, so I'll leave it up to you what you want to use during the game. Have you already decided what you would enjoy to play?

Ah, for anyone curious, here's the basic rules as a free download. You do not need them to dive right in (we'll keep it rather simple at first), but just in case you want to know more about races, classes or other stuff.

Races: Human would be the most common choice, but you can also be a dwarf, elf, halfling, gnome, tiefling, half-elf or half-orc. Actually, convince me with a good story and I'll let you be a race not covered in the player's handbook. Your race has an impact on your ability score (those six numbers you roll for) and might also give you additional perks like darkvision.

Classes: Alright, here you decide whether you prefer melee, magic, or a mixture of both whenever you get in trouble. You can be a barbarian, a fearless and savage enemy. Or a fighter, well trained and in heavy armor. Or a monk who relies on their supreme martial arts. A cleric, using strength and magic in honor of their god. A paladin, defender of the good in this world. A druid who channels the spirit of nature. A ranger, skilled to survive in the wilderness. A rogue, who knows their way on the grimy streets. A bard, charming entertainer with a touch of magic. A warlock, making bargains with higher entities in exchange for magic power. A wizard, student of the arcane who learns from books. Or a sorcerer, for whom magic is a trait that somehow just manifests.

I have not personally played all these classes, though once you decide what looks interesting to you I can certainly give you some hints what might be a good choice. Again, there's no wrong way of play - it always boils down to how you envision your character.

And now I have a first quest for you:

It could as well have been another boring afternoon. You stare out of the window. Still the weather doesn't tell anything about the nearing holidays. Sigh. But then you see a reflection in the glass. Some strange creature looms behind you! Turning around, you grab the nearest object for your defense.
"Oh, thank you. Just what I needed", the creature says and picks the thing out of your hand. "Here, take these in return."
You are given a bag of dice.
The creature stands there and waits for a while as you stare at the bag. Then says, "So... aren't you going to try them?"

Roll four six sided dice. In rolz this is done by typing #4d6 into the chat bar. You can change your name from the random number Alric with /nick mdom or /nick Kaderin. And since you're at it, repeat the same roll command five more times. Yep, we're already venturing into character creation territory now.

(side note: I realize the holidays will be busy, especially with our winter event coming up. So I'm going to split character creation into some smaller bits that can be done in five minutes while you're checking Trisphee anyway)
Old Posted 12-20-2018, 06:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
I like my characters with a bit of myself, so I want to be a half dwarf/half orc.
Short and ugly
Old Posted 12-20-2018, 10:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #15  
*note to self* Don't check this thread while drinking tea.

Okay mdom. So as mentioned above, the lowest value gets discarded. This means your stat points are: 11, 13, 10, 10, 14, 15. Assign them to str, dex, con, int, wis and cha in any order you see fit.

Now let's see... half dwarf half orc. Quite a unique combination, since both races usually loathe each other. You'll probably either be an outcast among orcs and dwarves (which might be the reason why you turned to adventuring), or have come up with a way to gain acceptance (if so, specify what. You might be extremely generous, very skilled in a special field, something like that).

I'll give you an average life span of 212 years, which is shorter than a dwarf's life, but longer than an orc's. You're considered an adult at 32 years. Your alignment is neutral, or maybe in your everyday life you're torn between your sense of honor and chaotic nature.

You want to be small, so I'll give you the dwarf base walking speed, which is 25. You have darkvision (it's something both races gain, so that's a no-brainer). If your character is indeed ugly, I give you proficiency in intimidation (orc) instead of stonecunning (dwarf). You get STR+1 and CON+2 as a racial stat bonus. You can wear light or medium armor.

Pick whether you want to be more resistant against poison, or have a tough constitution in general. Also pick which language (dwarven/orcish) you want to speak well and which one you do know to some extent but might misunderstand things occasionally.
Old Posted 12-21-2018, 11:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Gonna be super lazy and do a character based on my rl self. XD
So....human aaannnnd....wizard.
Human wizard

*wanders over to rolz to do stat rolls*

Since I wasn't sure how updating a character sheet in Trisphee would work, I printed out a D&D one. I don't really understand....pretty much anything on it, but hopefully will figure it out more as we go. Idk if it has the same info as we'll/I'll need or if it is missing any stuff that would be needed. But I also have a slew of notebooks that I can use to keep track of any additional stuff if need be.
*is probably way overthinking/overcomplicating this...*
Old Posted 12-22-2018, 01:23 AM Reply With Quote