Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #33  
If you're moving stuff across then fragmentation is a non-issue. The move process treats files as singular entities so their organization on the source disk doesn't matter. They'll wind up non-fragmented on the destination drive.

A clean install usually is better, yes. It does require the effort to reconfigure all of your settings, but it also means that you're not moving stuff that's specific to the old computer and it means you have a chance to get rid of stuff that runs in the background that you don't use anymore.

As far as disk fragmentation is concerned...

Moving files doesn't cause fragmentation because the file itself isn't changing places on the disk; it's just rewriting the directory structure to find the same data in a new place. Deleting files leaves gaps but unless it's a bunch of tiny files scattered over the disk (or if the file you deleted was already really fragmented, see below) it generally isn't a problem because new files can just fill in those gaps. The real cause of fragmentation is when files are frequently added to; if there's NOT a gap on the disk for the file to grow into, that file will have to split up so its data is in two or more places on the disk. That's where the performance issues come in -- the spinning disk has to physically move around to get to the other parts of the file. (SSDs don't have that problem, so fragmentation is even less significant on them.)

The huge defrag operations that you used to hear about in the late 90's-early 2000's are counterproductive on modern drives -- pushing all of your free space into one big block doesn't help you at all. Modern defrag mostly just detects files that are split up really bad and rewrites them into the free space on the disk so they're all in one piece. It's a much faster operation that focuses on the important parts.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 02:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Quick q before I read that (i’m in class), how’s a 1050 compare to a 1060?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-06-2018, 04:05 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #35  
I got a big box from Newegg! I wonder what it could be?
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
Quick q before I read that (i’m in class), how’s a 1050 compare to a 1060?
It's not as good. :P

The 1060 is VR ready, while the 1050 isn't. The 1060 supports more VRAM and more GPU cores, and it its normal operating speed is slower than the 1050 (which means less power consumption, but more cores means that its total throughput isn't any worse) while its boosted speed is higher (which means it can crank out heavy workloads faster).

The upshot is that the 1060 can push out around 1.5x-2x higher FPS than the 1050.

EDIT: That is, the cheapest 1060 is that much faster than the cheapest 1050. Higher-end 1050's can close the gap but not catch up.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #37  
Hm...a 960 gives me about...20-25 FPS in Mass Effect Andromeda on high settings (not ultra; ultra is like...9 FPS). Do you think a 1050 would do okay for most AAA games on high settings for the next couple years?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-06-2018, 10:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
A 1050 should pull roughly equivalent FPS to your 960, with about as much staying power. So... no. You'll probably have to back down to medium in a year or so.

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 03:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #39  
Eeerrrrgh. Figured as much.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 06:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Hm, took a look at the Predator Helios 300. Looks... kind of decent? I'm not so sure about that 256GB SSD, though.

There's also a 1T HHD Predator Helios, but that one's 17 in and >6 lbs.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 06:22 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #41  
Is the SSD that crucial? My current one is itty bitty and I don't think it affects things too much, though perhaps loading times for a game or two could be better. It has my Windows install files and the programs that refuse to let me re-direct them to my regular hard drive.

My brother is accusing me of "doing it wrong" because my comp is still in the box. Doesn't say much for my life right now that I'm too distracted to open up a new computer. Need to decide how many of my files on this one I'm going to take the time to re-organize and how many I'll do later.
Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The SSD isn't critical for well-written games. You'll feel the loading times, especially when you first boot up your system, but once you're actually in the world you're probably not going to notice the difference, especially if you have enough RAM.

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:15 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #43  
I know I had Skyrim on my SSD, until the drive started to get cramped, so I moved it over to my regular hard drive and didn't notice any performance issues.
Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Skyrim is an old game by now. You wouldn't notice problems with it, because it was designed to run on 2011-era computers. :P

EDIT: More to the point, they were expecting players to be loading data from an optical drive on PS3 and Xbox 360, and those are even slower than HDDs. If the game can handle THAT... not having an SSD isn't going to faze it. :P

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:21 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #45  
Right. Silly me. ;). It pretty much ate my old computer battery so I tend to think of it as probably being meaner than it is.
Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:38 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
So, as far as battery life goes, are there concerns about leaving laptops and such plugged in all the time? I made a point of not doing it with my Stealth here, and the battery appears to only just going, but I'm not sure if that actually had anything to do with it (standard life span I heard is 1.5 - 2 years). I'm told that running the battery down now and then and charge patterns aren't needed anymore because it's been build into some batteries
Old Posted 02-07-2018, 07:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #47  
It's better to keep it plugged in all the time than to drain the battery really deep. Full recharge cycles are the second-worst thing you can do to a lithium-chemistry battery. (The worst thing you can do to it is overheat.)

When your laptop is plugged in, it'll disconnect the battery from the charging circuit until it drops down a few percent, then it'll top it back off. (Well-designed chargers nowadays report 100% charge even when the battery is at 90% or so just to keep you from thinking that there's something wrong.) This tiny little charge cycle hurts a little bit, but not as much as a big charge cycle, and since the laptop isn't USING battery when it's plugged in it takes it a fair amount of time to drop down that far.

The IDEAL charging pattern involves keeping your battery between 40% and 80% because the extremes are where problems come in. However, if you're doing stuff that drains battery (like playing games) then trying to keep it in that range is just going to cause you to have more total recharge cycles, which is worse than just leaving it plugged in.

If your laptop's battery is removable, the best thing you can do for it is to take the battery out and plug in your laptop when you're going to play high-requirements games, so that the battery isn't exposed to the heat or to extra charge cycles.

Now, separate from extending the battery's longevity: You might occasionally do a deep drain just to calibrate the laptop's battery sensor, but only if you know it needs it (e.g. if it says 0% for half an hour without ever dying, or if it dies while it still says 20%) because doing so reduces your battery's lifetime a little bit.

Old Posted 02-07-2018, 08:06 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Ah. Yeah, I asked on the MSI forums about my recent battery issues and the battery on my comp is inaccessible to the user for warranty reasons I suppose. It was the first time I heard that calibration was a thing, so I used the tool once. Apparently the computer is designed to have a staggering charge pattern and warns me at 20% battery life so I don't think I've ever run it total dead.

My issue is that the light is now blinking amber on a full charge, but it's not always doing that. The other day, while playing a mild game, the comp flat out shut down after about 15 minutes, with no low battery warning. I've accidentally played Guild Wars without having been plugged in (I have my comp plugged into a power bar and just turn the bar off each night rather than constantly pulling plugs) and it runs for longer than that before it would surprised shut down. (I think I've done that twice).

My old Compaq Presario battery I just flat out cooked.

I've decided to run two comps now, setting up games on my new one and doing my class work and net crud on this one until the other is set up. Give myself some time to make sure I've got what I want before this goes to it's new home. I thought if I should do a factory reset or wipe this thing, but it's only going to my sister and I wasn't sure what the reset would do regarding the updated Windows 10. It's been working well for me with the automatics updates my brother (not sure which) set up. It might be best not to mess with it.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-09-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old Posted 02-09-2018, 07:44 AM Reply With Quote