Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The Illusionist
Default Fake Virus Scanner... Gggaaghhh   #1  
I hate these things, not only they mess up my computer, they download automatically and my family always blame me for it.
It can't be helped, but I need help explaining to my family (again) that this downloads by itself and it's not my fault....
Oh and can anyone help me remove it... Also the scanner prevents me from using the Internet (using my itouch right now)

Old Posted 01-09-2011, 01:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Fydan Ela Yen

Hope Coda know how to remove it, he will be around soon. <3

Old Posted 01-09-2011, 01:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #3  
What's the "virus scanner" called?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-09-2011, 01:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Wild Taikimon Appears!
The same thing happened on my Laptop (the program was called Antivirus 2008 or something) and I eventually was able to get rid of it using my Desktop, but I still can't use my internet browsers on it. ;o; I dunno how to fix it!
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 01:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #5  
that happens to my mums computer alot, she clicks on them thinking theyre real >< try doing a system restore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 01:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Don't ask me. ^^() I'm not a Windows professional anymore. The last version of Windows I used extensively was Windows 98! All I can say is to find what it is you've picked up and Google for how to take care of it. Be cautious of instructions that suggest installing a specific cleanup tool since that could just be another fake, but there are some reputable sites you can trust when they provide fixers.
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Sexy BokBok
Default   #7  
That seriously sounds like a virus if it's always coming up too.
And if it's a virus like that: I had one a few years ago and the only way to get rid of it is either do a system restore or to wipe your computer and put a new program on it.

"Look over your hills and be still
The sky above us shoots to kill
Rain down, rain down on me"
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I wouldn't say that's the ONLY way, but it's definitely a good idea to make a backup of your data in case something goes wrong and you DO have to reinstall the operating system.

Note: Don't back up any programs, especially if you can re-download them, because programs could be infected. Get fresh installers.
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM Reply With Quote  
an evil, possessed, psycho doll
Default   #9  
what you do with the downloads you don't want is cut and paste them into a flashdrive and just reformat, it's helped me before... Falint that my anti virus is advast. never had any problems with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakadon
I give you the right to yell at anyone that breaks my RP rules >:U
Nikko is my nii sama and Reyoki is my nee sama

この終わりのない声で、私はそれは私の選択で、歌います

Old Posted 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
No virus scanner is perfect -- new viruses will come out and they won't get detected by anyone for a couple days. That's why it's important to keep your definitions up to date. But my point is that you should never back up an .exe file or a .dll file if it's something you can reinstall from a CD/DVD or redownload from the Internet, because they could get infected. Non-program files are much less infectable.
Old Posted 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #11  
I haven't gotten a virus for a while now (wow o-o.. I used to get them all the time), but when I did, I used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Old Posted 01-14-2011, 10:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
Scan with Malwarebytes imo.
Avast is pretty good at picking things off, but it will also delete a ton of false positives. Just backup beforehand onto another hd.
Old Posted 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #13  
I would also like to recommend to you AVG. It is reliable, FREE, and not a very bloated anti-virus program that I've been using for years. However it doesn't do spyware in the free version. I use spybot Search & destroy. It's not fake but how reliable it is compared to other free anti-spywares out there I cannot say.

What kind of computer are you using? A windows XP, Vista, 7? I'm not clear on why your scanner is preventing you from using the internet, please clarify.

If you can find your solution through google then all the better. Coda's advice is good. Once you download a reliable Free anti-virus software do set it to update automatically once a day.
Old Posted 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Haunted AND the thing that haunts you!
I have never heard of this, what are these programs? What are the names of the common ones?
~ Red Rum She Said
Old Posted 01-25-2011, 12:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
ThinkPoint is the "big name" and most others are variations on ThinkPoint that change the name. I can't really say what the common names are, but essentially if you don't remember installing it, don't trust it.
Old Posted 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Resistance agent
Spybot search and destroy , that can be found at safer-networking, is free and clears those right up. I had one of those and it took spybot to get rid of the darn thing DX

Old Posted 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM Reply With Quote