Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #97  
I hated reading aloud. I could finish books quickly and was usually a few chapters ahead of the class (assuming I liked the book), but I always had issues reading out loud. Felt awkward to me.

Fatty Legs for today. More assessing for children's lit. Need to actually read The Prince and the Dressmaker as someone else wants it!

I'm out of my region right now. I think I can just dump my books at a local library and they will make their way back to their proper place if I don't make it home fast enough.

Checking out a new ebook/audiobook app called "Libby" run by Overdrive. Not too familiar with it but I should be I figure since my practicum is coming up.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old Posted 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Yeah, I hated reading aloud too. I tended to talk faster to get my part done as quickly as possible. XP
And then I got put in the "advanced" reading group, because I kept reading ahead and almost always had already read the books we were going to read in class. But that was awful too because I didn't like any of those kids and they didn't like me, so I didn't want to read and discuss the book with them. (And usually, I had already read those books too, tbh.)
Old Posted 02-10-2019, 08:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #99  
I was always the tiny kid who read the paragraph too quietly, and was easily interrupted with giggling and talking in class. >->;

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 02-11-2019, 03:21 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Book talk failed today. I got the video to record but no sound, and I had to recover from my stage fright afterward.

I'm actually not that bad with talking, but presenting gets me at times. I seem to do much better with notes and room for improv. I might have to add some sticky notes to my book for tomorrow. I have, at least, developed a good "lecture voice."
Old Posted 02-11-2019, 04:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #101  
:] Ahh, well that's a plus! Presenting doesn't always go as planned. <n<; I hated presenting for class..and stage fright can happen to even the most ready of performers. (*cough* it's happened to me and I accidently cut my finger before curtain and I had to dance bleeding *cough*) But hey, :] you know what helps you the most! Notes, rehearsing, etc..
and you get another chance.

Practice makes improvement after all. -u- (not Perfect. Because nobody's perfect. >u>)

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 02-11-2019, 04:31 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Since I'm video recording one of my book talks, I'm tempted to sticky note my script bits to the laptop near the camera. I also need to see if Windows 10's camera app will listen to my headset. It didn't last time.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old Posted 02-12-2019, 02:56 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #103  
I may have just purchased more books.

I'm also trying to think up a new story time package, this time with a superhero theme. It may or may not have to do with the new Kim Norman book I spotted with Percy the Pug.
Old Posted 02-12-2019, 03:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
<x] The only childhood superhero books I ever read were Captain Underpants.
I was so surprised that it was brought back like nearly 20 years later and made into a movie for kids. /8} Cheh!
And now Dogman is a similar book series by the same creator I think. I've pretty much grown out of those books now, but :] it's amazing how some authors I recognize are still at it publishing works years later. <3

Old Posted 02-12-2019, 04:53 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #105  
Didn't know Captain Underpants was that old. My nephew loves that and Dog Man.

I need another book for my storytime so I can reach my time goal and get this assignment handed in! Blah. We have oldies all over the place here. I'm going to do some bookshelf weeding. Anything I'm half-way through and sneer at, goes in the sell pile.

Reading some Pippi Longstocking now. It's quite delightful.

I'm thinking superheroes would be pretty easy since Marvel and DC and such publish for all audiences. Just need to find some stuff that's good.
Old Posted 02-13-2019, 03:15 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
So I have a bit of a dilemma. It's possible that the kids won't understand "bug" in the book "Pugs in a Bug" so I should have an explanation ready. I could just say it's a type of small, round car. I could also just see if they know what a "punch-buggy" is, and that might be easier. I could also just print out a picture and say "this is a bug car."

Thus, the other problem. What if the kids DO know "punch-buggy?" If I show them a picture of a VW Bug, am I going to start a mini fist fight? What if they decide to do each for each page of the book? (They need to see the pictures after all!) WHAT IF THEY CAN SEE MY CAR OUT THE WINDOW?!

Okay, yeah, it's late, over drama ;). But I did actually include the "popular game" issue of kids potentially hitting each other in my write-up. It seems like a legitimate concern. Hitting is bad.
Old Posted 02-13-2019, 07:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #107  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I could also just print out a picture and say "this is a bug car."
that seems to be the best, i think.

also, i want to go through my bookshelves as well, there's a LOT of paperbacks in there that i know i haven't reread since we moved (10+ years ago), and not sure i will - mostly romance novels, actually. there's a lot of YA vampire fiction that i know i'll keep, but i have romances, a lot of Dean Koontz's older books, i'll have to see what i have. most of it might just get donated to my library. much easier than anything else.

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-13-2019, 02:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
I feel like I should get to reading some of the manga on my room shelf. :[ I mean, I said I would, but I keep forgetting/neglecting it..

Would manga count for this challenge? I did put it on my list, <x] but I'm not sure. I'm kinda sidetracking from Dorian Grey, but I've never even touched Fruits Basket... >.>;

Old Posted 02-13-2019, 09:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #109  
sure, i'd count manga. have fun with Fruits Basket. i haven't read it, but i do remember the title from when i worked at Borders =)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-13-2019, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Aaaaah Borders. <x] I remember when that was a thing.~ <3
Like Circuit City...or Mervyns. ;u; Or Lucky's Supermarket..man, now I feel old. xD

Old Posted 02-13-2019, 11:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #111  
yep. i worked at Borders for about a year, from september 2010 to september 2011. now i'm at michael's, which is just as dangerous XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-13-2019, 11:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
XD hahaha! I getcha. I've been to tame Michael's and some pretty nightmarish ones too. <x} Last time I went, I picked up stuff for my Christmas project/present. :] I made a wreath for my dad that was Slytherin themed, since he's a Slytherin. xD

Old Posted 02-13-2019, 11:53 PM Reply With Quote