Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pixelist
Default jesus fucking hell windows   #1  
had a goddamn screen come up saying that windows 7 was out of support.

god did that scare my ass.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 03-13-2020, 08:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
As annoyed as I was when Windows 7 abruptly updated itself to Windows 10 on me a while back, I have found that Win10 is ultimately a much nicer OS.

So...sucks that they stopped the free update thing. :(
Old Posted 03-13-2020, 11:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #3  
yeah, the entire fucking thing takes up the entire goddamn screen, which spooked me personally because i don't like it when weird shit happens / shit happens that i'm not used to.

idk how to upgrade this computer over to windows ten, since dad will probably complain about it, since he's not used to the UI. (windows 8.1, on the other hand, is still getting support, afaik, and he gets along with the UI there, somewhat.)

Old Posted 03-13-2020, 01:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Did they actually stop it? Last I checked it would still quietly accept a Win7 license key to install Win10 even though the official period ended a long time ago.

The UI differences between 8.1 and 10 aren't really all that significant. 10 is really just a cross between 7 and 8.1.

I had a bit of a scare yesterday, though. I didn't know there was a new Windows update pending. I went out to do some grocery shopping and came back to hear my computer repeatedly emitting a long-long-long BIOS error beep code. Didn't think a Windows update could screw up a computer so badly that it wouldn't even POST.

I think I just have some flaky hardware, though, because one power cycle later it booted without incident.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-13-2020, 02:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #5  
hell if i know, idk if we've got a windows 7 license key.

Old Posted 03-13-2020, 05:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Having an existing Win7 installation counts as having a key from the perspective of the Win10 installer.

It doesn't even bother to check if the Win7 installation is pirated. Microsoft cares more about getting Win7 out of circulation and Win10 in more people's hands than they care about making money on operating system updates.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-14-2020, 03:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #7  
well, that makes sense.

Old Posted 03-15-2020, 01:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
lol my old laptop is a 7. new laptop's a 10.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 03-28-2020, 04:00 AM Reply With Quote  
기다려
Default   #9  
my current lappy isn't a windows and i kind of miss having a windows OS because most PC games require windows. TuT

Buying Runes.
PM if you're selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
Don't be alarmed, we just have a minor case of face hugging adorable monsters. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually.

Old Posted 03-28-2020, 10:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
What is it, then? A MacBook? A Chromebook? Are you, by chance, one of the lucky few running Linux?

Old Posted 03-28-2020, 10:20 AM Reply With Quote  
기다려
Default   #11  
it's an old Macbook Air, which is why we were able to get it within budget. i am not one of the lucky few who have Linux, unfortunately TuT

Buying Runes.
PM if you're selling?

Quote:
Don't be alarmed, we just have a minor case of face hugging adorable monsters. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually.

Old Posted 03-28-2020, 10:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Yeah, Macs were once reasonably okay for gaming, but Apple has made... a lot... of decisions that just infuriate me. And infuriate developers, too. It used to be that lots of big-name games would get Mac ports, but now it's almost not worth trying to support the platform.

Old Posted 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM Reply With Quote  
기다려
Default   #13  
yeah, it's difficult to find ANYTHING i can play on a Mac. and even though i limited myself to browser games, most require Flash, which Google Chrome will stop supporting. maybe it's as simple as switching a broswer, i don't know. but i'm tired of always trying to figure a way out.

one day i'll be rich and buy a laptop just for gaming. until then, my biggest dream is to get the animal crossing nintendo switch, plus the physical version of the game. it's not a fear of missing out, it's just genuinely the kind of game i love T_T

Buying Runes.
PM if you're selling?

Quote:

Old Posted 03-30-2020, 07:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
you could reasonably dual boot. as in, two operating systems on one harddisk, but that may require a custom boot loader.

Old Posted 03-30-2020, 10:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by daikokunyo View Post
yeah, it's difficult to find ANYTHING i can play on a Mac. and even though i limited myself to browser games, most require Flash, which Google Chrome will stop supporting. maybe it's as simple as switching a broswer, i don't know. but i'm tired of always trying to figure a way out.

one day i'll be rich and buy a laptop just for gaming. until then, my biggest dream is to get the animal crossing nintendo switch, plus the physical version of the game. it's not a fear of missing out, it's just genuinely the kind of game i love T_T
Firefox Extended Support Release 52 will keep Flash support through the end of 2020, but that's not a permanent fix. There's also a project called Flashpoint that's dedicated to preserving Flash content with a dedicated player, which you can find at https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/.

Steam does have a lot of games with Mac support, because Unity3D makes it easy to deploy for Mac even if you don't have one. Some (older) games also run reasonably well through Wine, and it's not out of the question to run Windows itself either through VirtualBox or Boot Camp (that is, dual-booting, as Voidbarker said).

Old Posted 03-30-2020, 11:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
if you do go for a windows machine, windows 10 is the most recent edition.

windows 7 support has been cut officially, so i wouldn't recommend going for that unless you have a rescue disk, as viruses *will* proliferate overtime, because it's a very common operating system.

if you want something that's still in support but still don't like windows 10 (which is understandable, the menu is different but similar to 7), windows 8 / 8.1 is still in support.

Old Posted 03-30-2020, 02:55 PM Reply With Quote