Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wayward Victorian Doll
Default Rawrgh! *Throws Dead Phone*   #1  
So, here's a fun story.

I was doing laundry a couple of nights ago, and when I transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer, I heard an odd buzzing noise coming from the washer. I hit it a couple of times and messed around with it uninterestedly while I changed out the clothes, contemplating calling the apartment's maintenance guy the next day, when I saw it - my cell phone at the bottom of the washer, blank-screened and buzzing away.

I grabbed it amidst a sort of "It's-one-in-the-morning-and-I'm-too-tired-to-deal-with-this" kind of panic and immediately took out the battery and brought it to my boyfriend, who immediately referenced his long-time guide and mentor; Google. Though nine out of ten people with freshly cleaned phones said to stick the thing in rice for a few days to get the water out of it, my boyfriend took the advice of the one person who said to stick the phone in a ziplock baggie with packets of silica gel. He went one step further and put the phone baggie on top of the cable box, which is always on and always warm. This made enough sense to me at that time of the night, and I went to bed feeling fitful from not having my tiny little phone-clock on the nightstand next to me.

The next day I wake up, hopeful that my clean little phone is magically in working condition again. Lo and behold, on top of the cable box is a phone that's soaking in condensation inside of the plastic baggie. I stuck the battery in - though I didn't hold much hope for it at this point - and the phone went back to vibrating maniacally and showed me a splotchy white screen where my cute little heart wallpaper and clock should have been. Defeated, I stuck it in a box of minute rice (which I'm not even sure is the right kind of rice for the job, but I don't much care at this point), and I check the thing from time to time to see if it's made any progress, but so far it's just white-screened and buzzing. I'm thinking best case scenario, I've got myself a new $100 sex toy.

I don't get a whole lot of calls or texts from anybody, but it's always a joy for me on the rare occasions that I do - even if it's just from the local coffee place announcing deals on drinks (okay, especially then). While I'm not addicted to my phone like a lot of people, I am slightly obsessive about having it around; I'm constantly checking the time on it, or checking if I have new texts. It's driving me only slightly crazy not having it at my side, and it scares me a bit to think that I'm not in contact with anybody. I have to wait until the end of the week for a replacement phone to come in, and I'm not too sure I can survive for that long. It'll be a trial, that's for sure.

SO. Now that my super-long-epic story is over, what about everyone else? What is your relationship with your phone, and what are your tragic stories about losing it?
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM Reply With Quote  
The only Prof. of Fizzyology
Ugh washing machines D: those are evil, keeps eating my socks! >_<

One of my Gameboy Advanced games ended up in there once, wipped the memory clean TT_TT I had about 50 hours on it too.

My phone's basically attached to my skin. Sometimes I swear I can feel it vibrate in my pocket when it's not even there lol.

My family is all over the place, so it's nice to have my phone when I need to call someone or someone needs to call me.

The last time I forgot my phone, a friend ended up in the hospital so I refuse to leave it behind anymore.

Click to go to Quest Thread ---v

Member since Nov. 4th 2010
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Dancing in the Rain
Default   #3  
I broke my phone last week. It was just an ugly flip phone though. My mom got me a cute touch screen phone with the android operating system to replace it. So sometimes a phone breaking can be a blessing in disguise <.<
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I still have my original LG flip phone that came with my contract before there were even alternate colours for the thing. I like, mostly because I can work it with one hand and have dropped it several times and it has yet to get any significant damage beyond a nick in the front case. It's my friend :). I like it mostly because it's so handy to have when I need to talk to people, which is all I'm ever inclined to do with a phone, hence I'm near the only one in the family and circle of friends who hasn't moved to touch screen or iPhone.

I've never managed to have it land in the washer. My unfortunately brother in law had that happen though, but didn't realize it until it hit the drier. I happened to come in and was hearing this repeared *thud* coming from the drier before investigating and pulling out a very blank and heated cell phone. I think he managed to drive over his iPhone last year.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-09-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Police Force
Default   #5  
I used to hate my phones. I went from a Nokia I lovingly called my "brick" to a Blackberry (effing buttons always pushed themselves, I swear) to a sliding phone (that had the worst volume control ever) to my iPhone.

I would marry my iPhone if I wasn't already married.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Man, washing machines are evil. And apparently cars are too...? o.O
I've got a new, used phone ordered, so I just have to sit tight and wait for it. My old phone is only slightly improved from the wreck it's been for a while, as of a few minutes ago.
When I get a new sexy phone, I'm going to sew a pocket for it into my skin.
Old Posted 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Best thing since cheese-in-a-can!
Default   #7  
I try to keep my phone with me at all times. I left it at home last Monday, though... big mistake. I'd put it on the charger that morning while I did my morning routine since its battery was almost out of juice. However, when I left my bedroom... I'd forgotten to take it off the charger and put it in my pocket. It was just my luck that I got REALLY sick last Monday and had no way to get in touch with my carpool buddies. Thanks to that, I couldn't get to the doctor until Thursday when my finals were over. I spent the weekend confined to my bedroom with my medication, a case of bottled water, and my beloved PS2.

I've never washed any of my small electronics, but I did wash my wallet and all its contents once. It was a pain in the ass getting new business cards for all the places I like.

I used to get new cell phones all the time. My mom would get me those TracFone things with the minute cards. She would get tired of me saying about twice a month that I need more minutes... I don't know what she was expecting when she got me only 60 minutes of talk time whenever she bought the cards... anyway, there would be times when she'd go months without getting me more minutes and the phone contracts would expire, making her have to get me a new one when the new school year would start. We're all on a family plan now, though, so everything's fine.

Emperor of Japan*Anonymous Fiend
Nikko, Kaguya, and Toki are my siblings

Reyo has an art thread!
Click the adorable tentacle creature!
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
My phone is currently on my nightstand...dead. It died Sunday night, and I just haven't gotten around to recharging it. (Though, I probably should... I'm expecting a text from a new friend and a call from the hospital.)

I'm not really big on the whole phone thing... The only time I really want it around is when I'm not with my husband. I usually don't take calls unless I know they're important, and I really don't care for texting people unless I really like them.
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeDolly View Post
Man, washing machines are evil. And apparently cars are too...? o.O...
Actually, it was a pick-up truck. ;). There wasnt' much left of it.

I think texting is just dandy when I need to get a message to someone that doesn't require any response. It's also dandy for sneaking people messages when they're at work so I don't get them in trouble from phone chatting. My sister and I texted each other like crazy during the time we were setting up her wedding.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-11-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 02:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident Crazy Cat Lady
I think my sister put her phone through the washer at least twice. /facepalmed

Thankfully I've never had anything bad happen to my current phone. D: but I had a shitty one a few years ago, and the glass surface broke because I fell onto it. While it was still in its "protective" holster. D8

I gave up with that phone and moved on. ;x

Two years with my iPhone, and hardly a scratch. xD

( ´ ▽ ` )ノ ★

*:・゚ ✧*:・゚

new comic by pachi.
go check it out. ñ 3ñ
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #11  
Man, everyone loves their iPhones. I wonder if I should shell out to get one next? They do look like a whole lot of fun. My brother has had his for a couple of years and kept it intact, and he's notorious for breaking everything that he touches. xD
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM Reply With Quote