Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Wayward Victorian Doll
Default Enlightenment [Working Title, "R" Rating]   #1  
Rated "R" for strong language and drug use.

This is the first chapter of a story that I started writing, then stopped writing, then started again, then forgot about, then brainstormed for, etc. I have a rough idea for the plot, but my style is just to have an idea and write until a whole story forms. So far I've never written to the end of a "book," and I like this story so much that I've already started coming up with ideas for an entire series based in its world, and I'd really like to finish this at some point.

What I'm most worried about is the narrative style and the flow, but if anyone has any advice whatsoever, I'd love to hear it. ♥

Old Posted 05-27-2011, 08:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I'll read this for you and give you my thoughts, when I can. Hopefully within a day or two.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-27-2011, 08:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #3  
Yay, looking forward to it! ^3^
Old Posted 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I've only just started reading, and it's late so I won't be able to give a real critique until tomorrow, but I just wanted to point out that you have something of a "voice" in your writing. That's good, I don't see it a lot in stuff I read online. It shows that you put some thought into what you're putting down on the page.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-27-2011, 11:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #5  
Aw, thank you. =3 I was worried about that, actually. I put too much thought into writing, usually, so it takes a long time for it to get anywhere - I worry that it sounds too robotic by the time I finish.
Old Posted 05-28-2011, 01:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Okay, sorry this took so long. I woke up late today and had to go out earlier.

So, onto the review.

First off, I... don't actually have that much to say. And that's because my critiquing style is to pretty much gloss over the positives and try to point out areas that need improvement. You're not making a lot of the mistakes I normally see, which I find really impressive, given that I see them in published books more often than not. I don't think I really need to list out the things you aren't doing wrong, do I? I mean, I can, if you think it would help you. Let me know.

I will say this, though, I would keep reading, which is something else I don't end up saying much in a review. I'm sufficiently interested that I'd read more.

Now, one thing that stands out a bit is that what's going on so far is a tad difficult to follow. I think the first instance of See in the text works well, as it causes a double take before the reader realizes its intentional and sets up what's coming. But after that, I got kind of lost as to what exactly was going on. Like, is this Feel drug the whole issue, or are these characters psychic in some way beyond that? I assume Feel somehow induces synesthesia in the user? The way you use egotism in the narrative, I gather it's more than just a descriptive term. Am I right in this? And Hatter has some kind of reverse empathy thing going on? As I said, I'm not entirely clear on the whole psychic angle. (There is a psychic angle, right? I'll feel really stupid, if not.

On to the actual writing, the only issue I really have with it is that your sentences tend to be a bit convoluted. Like, they stretch on a bit too long, and their meaning isn't clear until you've read the entire thing and then assembled back in the context of the paragraph. I guess the simplest way to put it across is that there are flow issues. The way the sentences are worded, they break up the reading process and make the story harder to follow. Unfortunately, it's hard to show you exactly what I mean without line-editing and this isn't really the format to do that in.

I think it would help though if you went through and cut out any words that can reasonably gotten rid of without changing the meaning of the sentence. In other cases, maybe breaking the sentences up or rearranging them might make it a bit easier to follow.

Now, if, on the other hand, this style of long, somewhat-fractured ideas is a device to frame Alex's viewpoint, I can understand why you did it, and I do think the reader will get used to it eventually, just... you might risk losing readers, the way it's written at the moment. If that is the case, I think you could reach a compromise of verisimilitude and accessibility with some careful editing.

Other than that, though, I can't think of much else to comment on. The pacing, dialogue, characterization, and everything else I didn't mention all seemed to more or less work. If you want specific comments on anything else, let me know. Or just if you have any questions.

If you decide to post more, I'll definitely read and review it for you. :)
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-28-2011, 09:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #7  
Thanks for reading it through! <3

You were right in that Alex and Loli share a psychic connection. In addition, the main effect of Feel is higher levels of empathy in the user. I have a small prologue written that explores the drug a bit more through Loli's perspective, but I'm not happy with the way it's written. I'm still deciding whether to cut it to bits and put it back together, or change it entirely, or just leave it out.

I noticed the flow when I was reading back through it (I started writing that chapter a good year or so ago and barely finished it about two months back). I'm glad I had it up for somebody else to read, because I wasn't sure if it was just me being over-analytical. Like I said before, sometimes I put too much thought into writing, and it doesn't end up looking quite right. I'm going to go through and see if I can't simplify it.

I'm so glad you had some good things to say too~ It makes me want to keep going on with it, so thank you for that.
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 01:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Okay, I just wasn't sure if they simply had a bond with each other or were out-and-out telepaths.

About the flow, I think in places your sentences are slightly too technical. Take for instance, this sentence:

Alex grinned – and didn't make any attempt to hide it – at the laughable thought of the rebellious little waif trying to cause him any physical damage.

It's just kind of cluttered and is a bit of a chore to read. Just for purposes of example (and if this offends, please, slap me and I won't do it again), it could be rewritten something like

Alex grinned shamelessly at the thought of the rebellious little waif trying to hurt him.

to say the same thing in fewer words. You do run the risk of losing nuance by doing that sort of editing, and I obviously couldn't account for that, but I'm just trying to point out what I mean. The changes don't have to be drastic, either, even a word or two excised can help with the flow.

Anyway, you're welcome, and good luck with this project. There's actually more I could have said to compliment it (like your use of a consistent point-of-view and using it characterize Alex), but as I said, I don't tend to dwell on the things that aren't problematic. Hence the rather short critique. :)
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 05-29-2011, 01:35 AM Reply With Quote