Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #33  
Ah frick, I was exhausted yesterday and completely forgot to apply for the job. Thankfully, I still have a little time. So I will hopefully remember to do that when I get home from work tonight.
(Also part of my not applying is probably because in the back of my head saying I'm not gonna get it because someone else with experience who doesn't choke in interviews will get it anyway so why bother?)
Old Posted 01-01-2020, 06:03 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
OMG I haven't had so much fun reading a book in a long time, but then I've been reading mostly classical gothic horror or younger stuff. Baz is on my list of favourite literary characters now. Not sure if I'll read Wayward Son but I'm picking up Fangirl, mostly out of amusement for the fact that it came before Carry On, so I'd like to see how Rowell expanded the story that started in Fangirl.

I enjoyed the book I think in the same way that fanfiction and such is a guilty pleasure of mine, so in some ways it pretty much fit what I was expecting, but I think the book also has a lot of literary merit with where Rowell takes the characters, focus on them and their internal struggles over what's going on in the world around them, with this nebulous "war" that's happening that they can't really see. At the end of the book, I could appreciate why every point of view character had a point of view.

Also Kaderin, it never hurts to try and honestly, from what I've been looking at and learning the past couple years about work and jobs, actual skill and experience is becoming less important than ability to learn and willingness to try. If you think you have a desire for the work, play up that part. If you don't know how to use a certain program they want you to use, but figure you can work it out, say that too.

Think of the phrase (not sure if I have it exactly right) "Skills can be taught. Passion is innate." Have you ever had to learn on the job before? Did you do it? Mention that. Things like being good enough with the internet to find somewhat you want to know can be worth noting.
Old Posted 01-02-2020, 10:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #35  
Based on my experience actually applying for jobs in the last 2 years that theory is a lie.
Also, turns out, I'm gonna miss out on this time applying. They require a resume for the online application. My resume is very stiff and robotic sounding and also is on my computer. Which doesn't have internet access. And I'm working 8am to 6pm today and tomorrow, so I can't put it on a flash drive to work on and upload somewhere else because the only place with useable computers AND internet is the public library. Which closes at 6.
Old Posted 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Books to actually finish this year:
The Plot To Hack America, by Malcolm Nance
The Mueller Report, by Robert Mueller
The U.S. COnstitution and other Key American Writings, by various authors, from Word Cloud Classics.
Old Posted 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #37  
sounds interesting, Witchchylde! i've also added your post to page 1. :)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-02-2020, 02:08 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
I need to find more casual reads cuz some of the ones I have picked up lately have been really serious and heavy subject matter.
Answer my riddle to earn a prize!

You'll always feel it, but can never see it. It's strong but shatters easily. You can give it away but never hold it. What is it?

Pm me the answer, no cheating please!
Old Posted 01-02-2020, 02:42 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #39  
I tend to hop into a different genre for lighter things. I'm pretty negligent with contemporary reading so I'll go to that sometimes. Or comedy reading.

It isn't isn't a lie if it's a theory, but sucks that it hasn't worked out. It's worked well for me when my health or habit of over stating things hasn't shot me in the foot.

I'm deciding between Pride and Prejudice or Abalone Summer for my next read. Both have been on my list a while. I picked up Abalone Summer from a scholastic book fair back in elementary school.
Old Posted 01-05-2020, 02:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
the second spoiler in my challenge post includes books that i own that i haven't read yet. right now there's only 2, but i'm also in the middle of finishing my reread of Return of the King. i'll get to my books .... eventually XD

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-05-2020, 02:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #41  
I...er...was bad and bought books yesterday.
XD
But also read a little bit so I still count it as a win.
I have a tragically light work week, so I'll actually make an effort to do a lot of reading this week, among other things that need done...
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
i'm almost done my current book! yaay!

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 12:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #43  
Dang, that's fast!
Of the 4 books I bought yesterday, I kind of started reading a little bit of 3 of them. So they will be joining my list. Might just up my goal to reading 10 books this year since I'm pretty sure I have a few others that I started last year but forgot to add...
>.>

Derpy! Let's read a book when I get home! Lol
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
well, i checked it out of the library on December 23rd....but it looks like i started reading it on December 28th, according to Goodreads.... so not really fast. ;)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #45  
Compared to me it's fast. XD
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 02:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
ah, fair enough. compared to how i used to read, it's slow.

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 02:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #47  
It's slow compared to how I used to read too tbh. XD
When I was in my late teens to early 20s, I could go through 5-10 books per week.
Granted, most of those were shorter/easier reads than I usually go for now, too.
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 02:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
if i wasn't crocheting, i'd be reading more than i do now.... if one looks at my goodreads books for 2011, i read 110 books. then i learned to crochet, and i only read 52 in 2012. it seems that the more i crochet, the less i read

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-06-2020, 02:32 PM Reply With Quote