Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Writer
Default   #17  
Back in those days - years and years ago - when for the first time our internet wasn't paid by the minute, we had a limit of 250 megabyte per month. Which was also accounted as 8 something per day to make it worse, so you couldn't even save up for three days and watch a few videos on the fourth. Glad that's over and I don't need to worry about the limit anymore.
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 03:56 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Oh hey I recently saw something in Danganronpa 2...

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 04:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #19  
If we did that back on the old 30gb limited one someone would've been fried meat

quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merskelly Metalien View Post
Kitalpha is a face again! 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
hart is now a face again. rejoice.

if you read this you owe me one aurum
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 04:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
You kids and your bandwidth measured in gigabytes...

When I first started using the Internet, I measured my transfer rates in megabytes per minute. (And if that number got as high as 1.1 MB/min I would be happy.) And I would automatically get kicked off after four hours.

At that transfer speed... I mean, in theory, if I automatically reconnected after each disconnect, and if I were downloading nonstop, and if I actually had a hard drive big enough to store that much data... I could download around 40 GB/month. Problem being, that's around 80x more hard drive space than I actually had.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 10:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #21  
I think the most "when I was your age" thing for me wrt Internet is, hmm...

AOL and AIM? And also trying to download a game and Windows would give you an estimate like [3 years, 9 months], but the game stuff was in my teens.

Man, I miss my family's old CRT monitor. That thing was cool. And our old CRT TV. We used that all the way up until, what... 2017-ish?

Back at my previous uni, we had a bandwidth limit of 10GB per week, which meant gamers would have to DL all their stuff before the semester...
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Oof!
I remember the AOL thing...

And those UNGODLY noises the computer would make when trying to connect... ;-;

AIM was fun!
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 01:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #23  
I loved those noises! Except for when I couldn't make them be quiet when connecting at night...
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
I used to AIM. :D That was fun and simple.
I also used to Neopets. <x}
And burn CDs,
and play All kinds of PC games for children. <x} Like Freddie Fish, and Putt-Putt. Never got to play Spy Fox or Pajama Sam, :/ only demos..
The oldest thing I did on a PC was play with a very primitive coloring book program with pages of animals, space ships, dinosaurs, a clown and other things. <x}
I was around 4.

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 09-24-2019, 02:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #25  
OMG! I loved Freddi Fish!
I had all the games except for one. (I think the 4th one, the Western one)

I only played one Spy Fox game, "Dry Cereal".
But I've always wanted to play "Putt Putt Saves the Zoo" and Pajama Sam "You Are What You Eat, From Your Head To Your Feet". I've played those demos and they seemed like fun!

Do you guys remember Myst?
That was a really, really good game!

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 03:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
My oldest computer memory ever is playing Solitaire and Minesweeper on the laboratory PC when my mom took me along to work once. That was still Windows 3.1 back then, but I loved the strange machine so much I instantly wished for a PC of our own.

Oldest internet memory dates back to the days of dial-up where it went "connect to the net, click on your email. Disconnect, read the message while offline. Compose an answer in Microsoft Word. Reconnect again, copy and paste into reply form, hit send."

I also remember the time where you were either careless or an asshole for sending 3mb bitmap attachments with your mail, and I still can whistle the connect beeping tune.
Old Posted 09-24-2019, 03:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #27  
@Ava:
:D Yeeeee! Freddie Fish was the sh*t! xD
I still love it! Omg!
The one I loved the most was the Case of the Stolen Conch Shell. I played that over and over and over just to get all the character's evidence linking them to have stolen it. x'D
I played Putt-Putt saves the Zoo all the way through, :] and it was pretty enjoyable!

@ DbM: hehe, "strange machine". <xD <3 I love it. Used to play solitare too. :] And that one Space Cadet Pinball game. B]

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 09-24-2019, 07:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Mirrors View Post
My oldest computer memory ever is playing Solitaire and Minesweeper on the laboratory PC when my mom took me along to work once. That was still Windows 3.1 back then, but I loved the strange machine so much I instantly wished for a PC of our own.

Oldest internet memory dates back to the days of dial-up where it went "connect to the net, click on your email. Disconnect, read the message while offline. Compose an answer in Microsoft Word. Reconnect again, copy and paste into reply form, hit send."

I also remember the time where you were either careless or an asshole for sending 3mb bitmap attachments with your mail, and I still can whistle the connect beeping tune.
I remember my family's first computer. It had Windows 98.

I remember my first internet search. I used to loooove this anime called, "A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar" and in the DVD boxes there was a website, I think it was the anime's official website, but I can't remember it that well.

Quote:
@Ava:
:D Yeeeee! Freddie Fish was the sh*t! xD
I still love it! Omg!
The one I loved the most was the Case of the Stolen Conch Shell. I played that over and over and over just to get all the character's evidence linking them to have stolen it. x'D
I played Putt-Putt saves the Zoo all the way through, :] and it was pretty enjoyable!

@ DbM: hehe, "strange machine". <xD <3 I love it. Used to play solitare too. :] And that one Space Cadet Pinball game. B]
I LOVED that one! I think that was the first one I played!
My favorite Freddi Fish game is Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse. I always thought that one had the best music :D
Did you know that Freddi Fish games are now on apps that you can play on your devices?! I think I've only seen it in the iTunes store, so I'm not sure about android devices :(

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 09-25-2019, 12:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #29  
Ah yes, Space Cadet. I played that a whole lot when we finally had a computer, and I got surprisingly good at it. Which is funny because I've never managed a decent score at an arcade pinball machine. Once the whole thing gets three dimensional, my reaction sucks.
Old Posted 09-25-2019, 02:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Now, for me, games were more along the lines of Reader Rabbit and Cluefinders. Fun, but still educational
I wonder if I can find any of the Cluefinders games anywhere that are playable...

I have played Putt Putt Saves the Zoo, but at the library, where the computers downstairs, the kid's library, had it. Had a few others but I don't remember them
Remember playing all sorts of games in second grade because our classroom had four computers, but I don't remember their names at all

quest

Quote:
Kitalpha is a face again! 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
hart is now a face again. rejoice.

if you read this you owe me one aurum
Old Posted 09-25-2019, 03:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #31  
The most popular computer game at my grade school was Nanosaur. Kids fucking fought over the iMacs every rainy day lunch, and there were lines for each computer. Was always devastating when lunchtime ended and the teacher called you back to your seat before you had a chance to play.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-25-2019, 03:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
The oldest Windows OS I've used would be either Vista or XP.

And no, XP cannot run Minecraft.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 09-25-2019, 09:10 AM Reply With Quote