Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Addicted to Trisphee
Default   #49  
I love games. I been playing the sh*t outta the crane game whenever I get the chance. lol Btw if any of you mods are seeing this, then thanks for the new September items!
Old Posted 09-02-2016, 10:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
I just had a couple of thoughts, and was wondering if they were thought of (probably have been)...

IRC - Internet relay command (a chat, like for facebook)...

An Art Gallery - we have an art trade thread, but not a place for general (possibly with a focus on pixel) art (alias DeviantArt)...

...as stated, these were just two thoughts that I just had pop in my head. You all likely know what you're doing - I just didn't want to leave the thoughts in my head in case they hadn't been brought up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 09-08-2016, 10:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #51  
Realtime chat is something we've considered in the past. We've got a proof-of-concept implementation lying around that can connect to the Trisphee database, but there's some technical matters in that regard that we've got to plan carefully for. (Older Trisphites will remember what happened with the first Taskal War's interactive features. We'd rather not have a repeat of that.) It's something we can revisit if there's enough interest.

There are two possible things I think you might mean when you say an art gallery.

If you mean a dedicated section where you can upload images and display them like on deviantArt... we've discussed that in the past, and we've decided against it -- we're not in the business of being a hosting site, and we don't want to be responsible for the copyright mumbo-jumbo or the bandwidth or the server space for it.

If you just mean a forum section where you can link to your artwork, there already IS one. There's even a link to a thread there in my sig. Look under "Creative Corner."
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-08-2016, 10:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
I was more meaning the former for the image thing - a hosting gallery thing. I sort of figured something like that - wanting to avoid copyright issues. (Am I right in saying copyright law is a bit of a mess at the moment?)
__

__

Old Posted 09-08-2016, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #53  
Copyright law isn't actually that much of a mess at all, to be honest. There are a few areas where there are common misunderstandings, and there are a few areas that are subjective and have to be handled on a case-by-case basis, but for the most part it's not very complicated at all. The problem is that copyright is a very strong right, and creators who decide to throw a tantrum (and it's happened before, sadly) can cause a lot of trouble. People who upload stuff they didn't create can cause a lot of trouble, too. We don't really want to be responsible for mediating that stuff.

But really, the other issues are just as significant. Trisphee's running on a shoestring budget, and we don't want to use up our limited resources hosting large image files. There are plenty of places you can upload your creations online -- you can share images hosted elsewhere here on Trisphee just fine, and that's what we recommend you do.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-09-2016, 01:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I would like the Chat, mostly because it gives you someone to talk to if they aren't typically in the threads you hang out in. I would like it even better if you were able to get AU (small amount like game forum grants) for posting said chat.
Old Posted 09-09-2016, 09:13 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #55  
chat makes me think of those webpages that have it loading up automatically every time you want to look at anything ever and it just takes for-fucking-ever to load and is filled with idiots talking about nonsense.

ugggh or those sidebars that let you see your friends list or open chats or w/e. i hate those so much.

i pretty much hate having to load any "extras" on any page when i just want to check my shit.

Old Posted 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
my personal feeling on chats is that they are fun . . .sometimes. Like in the right event they can be fun. All the time though and suddenly people stop posting in the threads. A different website that is no more tried something like adding a fb feature. You had your forums and then you could click this link and see which friends were online and basically chat with them. Everybody started using just that and nobody posted in the forums at all.

That's my only fear with chat features.

Old Posted 09-09-2016, 02:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #57  
Based on the proof-of-concept and my known plans for it:

Trisphee chat would have a dedicated page, not loaded on every page. It would load quickly and not include more than a few minutes of history unless you explicitly ask for more. It will integrate with your user profile so that it uses the same login, but it would not integrate with your friends list (that would slow it down). It MIGHT be loaded (optionally) on games pages so that players can talk about what they're doing in the games. Maybe. It won't provide aurum whatsoever.

A sidebar of active users is an open question whether or not I'd include it.

It would not provide notifications of any kind -- no alerts on non-chat pages, no private messages. No integration with the achievements system.

I'm not sure about it stealing traffic from the forums. I think forums and chats fill different niches, and communities I've moderated for in the past that offer both chat and forums were healthy in both places. That said, we'd want to have ways to encourage going into the forums from the chat. In the end, I think that more traffic for Trisphee is more valuable regardless of where it takes place.

Old Posted 09-09-2016, 04:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Honestly, if you can only get arum from the posting, it should still be active.

And Coda's outline looks sound
__

__

Last edited by Lawtan; 09-09-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old Posted 09-09-2016, 05:16 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #59  
i've seen chat kill many post-dependent communities. as much as i like a chat feature it would not be good for trisphee >x>;;; too much time and resources will be wasted on keeping the chat safe and spam-free and people will not want to post in forums when chat is faster and more likely to be seen first
Old Posted 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I'm not worried about spam. Spamming Trisphee chat would require first getting past our forum spam filters to get an account registered -- a moderately challenging feat in its own right, though obviously not impossible -- and then to have that spambot know that the chat is there at all (remember, the bot isn't human) and know how to interact with it. It would effectively require a targeted Trisphee-specific attack to spam the chat. I'm not especially worried about moderation, either. Our legitimate users are fairly well-behaved. A simple report function to summon a moderator's attention should be able to handle anything that might arise. So really, staff resources aren't a significant concern when it comes to chat.

Losing site activity is my real concern, so if we do launch a chat, it'll be probationary at first to see what happens.

Old Posted 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
Default   #61  
I wish there was more ways to earn aurums. Sometimes I find it hard to jump in forums and conversations. Otherwise, looks like a fine community where people actually chat despite the size.
Last edited by lovelacedroses; 12-03-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old Posted 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
There's a few things I'd like to do eventually, getting daily rewards for logging in, doing various actions, etc, that would probably be largely Aurum, with a bit of other stuff.

Some more minigame options for earning, as well. At the moment there's just Crane Game.
Old Posted 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
Default   #63  
That would make things much more interesting, imo. And the crane game is genius, I'm addicted to it so I think any potential ideas you have will shine. :)
Last edited by lovelacedroses; 12-03-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old Posted 11-05-2016, 01:25 PM Reply With Quote