Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #33  
There's still more of the MM2 story to be told, but that's the end of Mega Man 2 proper.

That's also thankfully the last fight scene I'm going to have to write for a LONG time.

I've got some long-term plans to think about if this fic keeps going. I've had MM3's plot worked out for a long time but if I keep writing after that then MM4 might have to be VERY different from the original Capcom canon to be compatible.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-08-2018, 09:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Postmortem - Mark II Robot Masters
AUTHOR: Dr. Albert Wily
DATE: July 8, 20XX
FORMAT: Plain Text

After discovering what I have tentatively named the Wily effect, I created a controlled experimental setup. I deployed one Robot Master for each discovered peak of the Wily effect and one control Robot Master that did not employ Wily effect technology. The goal of the experiment was to gather data about the properties of Wily effect technology. The intent of this document is to summarize the experimental data and draw conclusions about it.

All of the experimental setups emitted visible light radiation while employing Wily effect energy, with the intensity of the glow appearing to be roughly proportional to the magnitude of the exhibited phenomena. Further details on these phenomena will be documented below. The intensity also appears to correlate with certain action potentials in the state of the algorithmically generated AIs. I have begun further targeted research into understanding the semantic meaning of these action potentials, but my preliminary hypotheses are also documented below.

All of the Robot Masters were able to supplement the energy from their power cores with Wily effect energy. Most experimental setups demonstrated an ability to augment or modify Master Weapon effects using this energy as well. DWN-010 and DWN-011 demonstrated the most significant variation from their weapons' design specifications. DWN-014 demonstrated a novel mode of attack unrelated to any of its existing weapons systems; more details below.

Additional observations and conclusions, in order of increasing optical frequency:

Red: DWN-010 was observed using red Wily energy as a destructive force. Preliminary estimates of the energy requirements to reproduce the effects observed yield an implausibly large number, suggesting a more exotic mechanism of action than vaporization. Action potentials correlating to red energy appear to have something to do with aggression or frustrated objectives.

Orange: DWN-012 was not observed to produce novel Wily effect phenomena. The recordings of DWN-012's telemetry and my own personal experimentation suggest that the orange energy is influenced by desire or need, especially considering DWN-012's tendency toward hoarding and greediness.

Yellow: DWN-015 was observed generating barriers. Yellow energy magnitude appears to be inversely correlated with confidence estimates. However, the increase in yellow energy levels before DLN-001 entered the volcano remains unexplained. This may suggest that Wily effect efficiency may be influenced by external factors in addition to internal ones.

Green: DWN-013 actively blocked transmission of its telemetry and was able to override hard-coded software directives. This does not provide any insight into the behavior of the green Wily effect, but it did suggest that intent, contrarianism, or self-determination could be linked to the evolved behavior algorithm. This is consistent with observations of DLN-001. Further direct experimentation leads me to believe that the specific mental state that influences the green effect is the exertion of willpower.

Blue: DWN-011 was observed generating barriers and altering weapon behavior. Blue energy magnitude appears to be positively correlated with confidence estimates.

Indigo: DWN-016 was not observed to produce novel Wily effect phenomena. Action potentials correlating to indigo energy appear to have something to do with outcomes beneficial to third parties. The evolved AI's behavior is very puzzling to me. Its decision-making process does not seem logical to me, but it was apparently psychologically effective against DLN-001 and led to DWN-016's survival of the second deployment.

Violet: DWN-014 was observed generating many forms of crystalline structures, including barriers, platforms, and weapons. The evolved AI's behavior is erratic and has some similarities to DWN-012's. I was not able to form a hypothesis about the mental state associated with the violet spectral peak that was consistent with the observed behaviors.

The contrast between the yellow and blue behavioral models suggests the possibility of further symmetries in the spectrum. Assuming symmetry suggests that yellow and blue may correspond to fear and hope. Assuming the truth of these additional hypotheses suggests a pattern: at least three of the spectral peaks (desire, hope, and fear) are correlated to focused emotional states, four if determination is considered to be an emotional state. And if the peaks represent emotional states, then that suggests that red corresponds to anger or hatred. By symmetry, violet would correspond to affection or love, which -- while strange -- might be consistent with DWN-014's behavior if taken in the right light.

The remaining question is that of indigo. If these hypotheses hold, then indigo would correspond to the inverse of desire. However, it is difficult to identify an opposite of desire. I might have guessed asceticism but that neither seems like an emotional state nor is it consistent with DWN-016's behavior. Disgust is an emotional state, but it is also inconsistent with the observed behaviors.

Another pattern to observe among these hypothesized emotional states is that the peaks of lower frequency than the axis of symmetry are considered "negative" or "sinful" by many cultures while the identified peaks higher than the axis of symmetry are considered "positive" or "virtuous." If the orange light is taken to correspond to excessive desire (gluttony? greed?) then the "virtuous" inverse might be somehow related to an outward-directed impulse such as altruism or charity. Perhaps compassion?

I will begin designing follow-up experiments to evaluate the likelihood that these hypotheses are correct.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-10-2018, 12:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #35  
SUBJECT: Robot Master Creator Apprehended!
AUTHOR: Chest, CPS Television Network
DATE: July 2, 20XX
FORMAT: Video

"Law enforcement officials have confirmed that the infamous Dr. Wily is now in custody after the hero named Mega Man infiltrated his ominously-themed Skull Fortress and returned with the terrorist scientist in chains.

"No details have yet been released about the events leading up to the apprehension. But we have been told that Light Labs had been searching for Wily's compound for weeks in order to bring him to justice. We have reached out to Light Labs for further comment but we have not yet received a response. Wily himself has refused to say anything to anyone since the arrest.

"In related news, three attorneys have entered into a competition with each other, having wagered for the privilege of being the prosecutor in Dr. Wily's inevitable trial. No comparable bet has been announced for the role of defense attorney."

SUBJECT: Where is Dr. Wily?!
AUTHOR: Chest, CPS Television Network
DATE: July 3, 20XX

"Yesterday, Dr. Wily was believed to have been brought into custody. Early this morning, though, this happened:"

Chest pauses to allow a video to play, showing an image of Dr. Wily scowling sullenly, his wrists bound in handcuffs that are themselves tethered to a shackle on the wall by a long chain. Then without warning, Wily's head pops off, bouncing around on a large spring and revealing machinery inside his neck.

"It would appear that Dr. Wily used a robot duplicate to avoid capture! This means that Wily remains at large, his whereabouts unknown.

"Public reaction has been mixed. Many have called for a more aggressive manhunt, while others have expressed uncertainty. Light Labs has been accused of squandering funds on a fruitless search and of stockpiling military-grade weaponry. Some have wondered if Light and Wily have reconciled their differences and Light is trying to conceal his old comrade. Light Labs has vehemently refused to comment on these allegations and criticisms.

"Unverified reports claim that there are still active Robot Masters after Mega Man's raid on the Skull Fortress. Critics have questioned the effectiveness of Light Labs and if they should continue to be allowed to spearhead the anti-Wily effort. A concerned citizen group has started a group dedicated to monitoring for future Robot Master activity, requesting that people inform them of suspicious robot behavior.

"The one thing that everyone can agree on seems to be that this isn't over yet."

Old Posted 01-13-2018, 01:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Leaked Robot Master fight video!
AUTHOR: +einsteinclaus
DATE: July 9, 20XX
FORMAT: Video + comments

This appears to be a user-uploaded video from a video sharing website. The video quality is poor, but it consists of spliced together excerpts from Mega Man's fights with the Robot Masters. It starts with a black screen and fades in:

Air Man flings his arms open wide, gesturing out to the world around them. "Because it's the only place I have to call my own! Thanks to you, Robot Masters aren't welcome among humans! Never mind the fact that YOU'RE as much of a Robot Master as the nine you've destroyed so far -- built by the same scientists using the same design!"

The video fades to black and back in on a different scene:

Wood Man narrows his eyes at the interloper. "Are you going to fight me? Are you going to destroy these trees? Each one of them is decades old, but those Metal Blades of yours could fell any of them in seconds. So tell me, hero, what does it mean to save the world?"

"And what are those?" Mega Man points accusingly at the machines on the trees. "Aren't you destroying the trees as well?"

"Destroying them? I'm reinforcing them! These trees would never survive the future of war ahead of them without help."

"There doesn't have to be a future of war! I want peace!"

"I want peace too, but that can never happen with a war machine like you destroying anyone that opposes you!"

Another scene change:

Quick Man's extremely lightweight armor is looking visibly worse for wear. "This isn't what I wanted!" Quick Man laments. "You took what I wanted from me!"

And finally, a clip from a CPS news broadcast instead of battle footage:

"The mechanical wreckage and the fuel and lubricant leaks are going to take a long time to clean up satisfactorily. Environmental groups have criticized Light Labs for negligence, claiming that Mega Man voluntarily entered into underwater combat instead of looking for more environmentally friendly alternatives."

The video fades out, replaced with white text on a blue background:

IS MEGA MAN REALLY THE HERO?

The video ends, but part of the comment thread is attached to the archive.

+einsteinclaus: I can't say where I got these videos, but they really make me wonder if Mega Man is really as good as the news says he is. Can we really trust him?

+rockonmegaman: These are edited to make Mega Man look bad!

+r0botfan: I can't believe the conspiracy theory that Mega Man is actually the bad guy. Wily's done way too much damage. But it does make you think... Maybe there's still a good point here.

+hairstyle: I live in Monsteropolis. I saw Air Man's construction project. Everyone was scared, but nothing bad ever happened because of it. I'd be mad too if someone broke into my house and tried to kill me.

+hairstyle: And I've heard that none of the Robot Master attacks resulted in any humans getting hurt, too! So why DID they send Mega Man?

+rockonmegaman: What if they DIDN'T send Mega Man? You don't know if things would have gotten worse if he hadn't gotten involved!

+marblezzz: holy crap it all makes sense! lightlabs has a military contract! they profit from selling weapons!! they want to keep the fight going so they can make more money

+r0botfan: ... I don't like the sound of that. That's... worryingly plausible. Even if Mega Man is on our side, it's still in his best interest to go out and find reasons to fight more.

+rockonmegaman: What's with you people! Wily tried to take over the world last year, and you want to make it out like he's a victim! And he broke out of jail too! He's a criminal!

+einsteinclaus: He was never arrested so you can't say he broke out of jail. If you knew a killer robot was coming to get you, wouldn't you want a decoy too?

+marblezzz: einsteinclaws is right its too much to be a coincidence. mega man needs to be arrested so they can investigate

+r0botfan: I can definitely get behind the idea of an investigation, although it's probably best if Mega Man stays free while it happens. Maybe put a tracker on him or something. Knowing Wily, he'd probably pull something as soon as he found out Mega Man wasn't able to stop him.

+masterthis: I'm surprised nobody's talking about how these Robot Masters are acting. The ones from last year never talked like this.

+r0botfan: I noticed that. That's why I said there might be a good point here. There are robots everywhere nowadays. Maybe we need to start thinking more about them.

+einsteinclaus: Ya, that's my point too! Mega Man blew up all those robots! No warrant, no arrest, just walked in there and shot them. The world's not safe like that!

+rockonmegaman: Mega Man talks like that too! He always has!

Old Posted 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #37  
SUBJECT: Research Notes - Mark II Robot Masters
DATE: July 7, 20XX
FORMAT: Multiple Document Archive

Dr. Wily's research notes are quite expansive. There's far too much here for X or Dr. Cain to read through in one sitting, but there are several excerpts that are particularly eye-catching. Many of them are scans of handwritten documents made while analyzing the experiment data. Others are typed up semi-formally, possibly suggesting a refinement process.

DWN-012

DWN-012 programmed to recollect missed boomerangs, good for energy efficiency. But reaction to losing boomerangs was disproportional. Why? -> Interacted with AI in mock environment (see attachment). Identified dysfunctional mental associations:

Premises:
1) If I break things, Dr. Wily doesn't stop me from keeping them.
2) Getting things is a sign of approval.
3) Dr. Wily wants to destroy Mega Man.
4) Boomerangs break things.
5) Collecting boomerangs restores weapon energy.

Conclusions:
6) By contrapositive of (1), if I want to keep something, I should break it.
7) By syllogism of (1) and (4), boomerangs let me get things. Supported by (5).
8) By syllogism of (7) and (2), boomerangs lead to being praised. Therefore boomerangs are valuable.
9) By specialization of (6) with (3), Dr. Wily wants to keep Mega Man.
10) By analogy of (3) and (9), if I want to break something, that must mean I want to keep it.

Clearly, evolutionary fitness function needs to put more weight on validating logical consistency.

DWN-015

Second experimental trial of DWN-015 almost ended in disaster. Failed to prioritize my survival and success of the experiment over the secondary objective of halting DLN-001. AI simulation did not reproduce dysfunctional behavior. Hard to fix malfunction without data.

DWN-011, DWN-016

Have not yet recovered DWN-011 or DWN-016 after DLN-001 failed to destroy them. Security system on the warehouse level stopped recording after the cessation of weapons fire. I only know that they are still functioning but have left the fortress. Would like to know how they avoided destruction.

Not happy with DWN-011's performance. Very passive. Even worse than first experimental trial. Never tried to attack DLN-001, only acted to stop DWN-015. Better than nothing, as DWN-015's malfunction could have jeopardized everything.

DWN-016 also did not participate in combat except to stop DWN-015, but took charge of the situation immediately. Considering overall effect to be very positive despite initial appearance of passivity.

Green Light Projector

The prototype of the Green Light Projector was able to produce barriers almost immediately. However, the barriers that I was able to produce through exertion of my own mental focus were very weak. Even the weakest force produced by my testing apparatus was sufficient to disrupt the barriers.

To address this weakness, I experimented with energy storage devices. Full notes can be found in the attachments, but in the end I was able to develop a Wily effect capacitor to accumulate energy over time and release it at a high, controlled rate.

After installing a bank of these into the Green Light Projector, I was able to use my own mental focus to form the barrier that could then draw energy from the capacitors. Reinforced in this way, the barriers were capable of withstanding forces proportional to those seen in the Robot Master live-fire experiments.

To my surprise, the prototype was capable of deforming these barriers into complex shapes that can exert forces in addition to withstanding them. Less surprisingly, all objects created in this manner are uniformly green. Standard holographic projection technology does not appear to interfere with the functioning of the barrier, so if the monochromatic appearance of such a construct is an issue for an application, it can be concealed.

Unfortunately, the Wily effect capacitors take a long time to charge with just my own mind. Furthermore, while Wily effect energy can be used to power machinery designed for other energy sources, the converse does not appear to be true: Wily effect phenomena do not appear to be compatible with electrical, photonic, or radioactive power supplementation. In the long term I will need to develop a way to charge these more rapidly, or to charge them passively instead of requiring conscious attention.

Old Posted 01-20-2018, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: H.B. 338 (20XX)
AUTHOR: Rep. J. L. Fischer
DATE: July 22, 20XX

H.B. 338
- An Act to recognize the rights of artificially intelligent beings

Preamble. Recognizing that modern technology is advancing faster than the legal system, there is a concern that the law may not be able to provide sufficient protection for robots that the general public recognizes as people. Such a new class of people needs to be protected with a basic right to live and to participate in commerce, but such rights must also be paired with equal responsibilities.

Be it enacted by this assembly:

Section 1. Definitions.
As used in this Act:
(A) The phrase "artificially intelligent being" means any entity that:
(1) exists as a machine capable of functioning independently without being controlled by another entity, that
(2) is not embodied as a component of a larger device or structure, and
(3) possesses the ability to reason about its own behavior, and
(4) possesses the ability to formulate opinions about matters outside the scope of its intended tasks, and
(5) possesses the ability to communicate about its reasoning and opinions in a human-like manner.
(B) The word "being" or "beings" may mean an artificially intelligent being, or any natural person or artificially intelligent being, as appropriate.
Section 2. Right to Exist. No artificially intelligent being shall be willfully and intentionally destroyed, excepting that:
(A) the artificially intelligent being is presenting a clear and present danger to the safety and well-being of a human, or
(B) the artificially intelligent being is presenting a clear and present danger to the safety and well being of another artificially intelligent being, or
(C) the artificially intelligent being is damaged beyond repair, or
(D) the artificially intelligent being consents to the action.
Section 3. Right to Property. An artificially intelligent being may be understood to independently be the legal owner of property. Artificially intelligent beings shall be granted the same protections against unreasonable seizure that are extended to other legal persons. This section shall not be construed to deny legal ownership of the artificially intelligent being by another person or corporation.

Section 4. Liability. An artificially intelligent being may be held independently culpable for crimes. Other individuals, such as but not limited to the being's creator, may still be held liable for crimes committed by the being if the other individual knowingly instructed, guided, coerced, or deceived the being to perform the criminal act, or if the other individual was aware of the being's likelihood to perform such an act and negligently failed to act to prevent it.

Section 5. Arrest. Where possible, an artificially intelligent being that is accused of committing a crime under Section 4 shall be granted the same protections and given the same procedures as those given to natural persons being placed under arrest. Where the nature of the artificially intelligent being makes such protections and procedures inapplicable or unreasonable, a warrant may be issued to permit a law enforcement official to undertake alternative actions.

Section 6. Enforcement. Any person or artificially intelligent being violating Section 2 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

SUBJECT: Bill of Rights for AI Introduced to Congress
AUTHOR: Plum, CPS Television Network
DATE: July 23, 20XX

"Representative Fischer yesterday introduced House Bill 388 to Congress, which aims to give rights to robots. The bill was immediately met with controversy, with some saying that its language goes too far, while others say it doesn't go far enough.

"Supporters of the bill point to the recent robot violence as evidence that some robots have become sophisticated enough to deserve legal protections. They point out that under current law, a robot can be destroyed for any reason and the only consequence is, at most, a lawsuit for destruction of private property.

"Opponents say that the language is too broad in places and too specific in others, potentially denying rights to some sophisticated AIs while granting inappropriate protections to some expert systems that would not generally be considered intelligent. Others are concerned that the penalty for killing an AI -- no more than one year of jail time and a $100,000 fine -- is too soft, and it should be treated more like murder.

"This bill comes at a time where the public is still dealing with the aftermath of this year's series of Robot Master attacks allegedly orchestrated by Dr. Wily. Tensions have been high as opposing protest groups have clashed over ideological grounds. The bill is the first attempt at addressing the issues legislatively. It is sure to see extensive debate and many amendments, and if it fails to pass, other related bills are sure to follow."

Old Posted 01-22-2018, 01:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #39  
SUBJECT: Rookie Upsets Prize Fight Predictions!
DATE: September 4, 20XX

The newscast transitions to Plum standing with a tall, barrel-shaped blue robot. The robot’s paint job shows signs of extensive battle damage, but the undented metal of his hull gleams underneath.

"I'm here today with the unexpected winner of the 20XX Heavyweight Division Robot Boxing Championship. His name is Hard, and he joined the tournament just this season, quickly gathering a huge fan base and going undefeated for the entire series. Hard, do you have anything you want to say to the public?"

Hard waves with a huge smile on his face as Plum tilts the microphone in his direction. "Hi everyone! Thanks for cheering for me. This is the best thing a rookie could have ever hoped for!"

The sports reporter can't help but smile as well. "It's certainly been a thrilling season. Did you think you would go all the way when you started?"

"Well, I mean, I thought I had a pretty good chance." Hard fidgets bashfully, averting his eyes from the camera. "I've got really good armor."

"You certainly do! I hear you've never been knocked out."

"I've been knocked on my back a few times and out of the ring once, but I've never been hit hard enough to stop functioning."

Plum makes a show of looking around to see if anyone's watching and stage whispers, "Hey, I've got your rookie card. Can I get your autograph after the interview?"

Hard laughs aloud. "You're a fan, too? Aw, I can't say no."

"Great!" She hops a little, clasping the microphone in both hands and standing with one foot raised a little. "I'm sure everyone is looking forward to next season! Will you be participating again?"

"I suppose I'm going to have to, I guess. My fans are going to want me to defend my title. Not going to let them down!"

"I'm sure you won't disappoint. Thanks, Hard!" Plum turns her attention back to the camera. "Up next, we'll be looking at the winter sports schedule. See you after the break!"

SUBJECT: What do I do?
AUTHOR: Roll [DLN-002]
DATE: August 22, 20XX
FORMAT: Rich Text + Attachments

Dear diary,

I met a guy while I was volunteering with one of the cleanup crews. At first I thought he was a total sleazeball, trying to come on to me. I still don't like being a celebrity because it means lots of people think they know me even though I've never met them. I didn't ask for this! It's all because of my brother. Anyway, this tall red and black robot I guess thought he was being really smooth trying to flirt with me. I smacked him with my broom!

He apologized.

He was volunteering there, too. Apparently he's got remote control magnet drones he can use to move around scrap metal. He didn't even know I was Rock's sister until I told him. He just thought I was cute. But he got all awkward when we started talking about Rock. Apparently he doesn't like how Mega Man operates. He's a nice enough guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him, but I don't know how well it's going to work out if he's going to get defensive around my brother. He thinks I shouldn't let it stop me and that I should make my own decisions... I guess he has a point there.

So I just have to figure out what I should do...

Love,
-Roll

Old Posted 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Re: Wily's Power
AUTHOR: Thomas X. Light
DATE: July 4, 20XX

Rock,

I understand your concern about what Dr. Wily said to you before your fight. I want to reassure you: it's not entirely true.

It's true that you don't know you have it, but I did know about it. I had noticed the energy signature in the scan I took before the Mega Man upgrade procedure, and I observed it growing stronger during your most difficult fights last year.

I'm sure that Dr. Wily has done far more research on it than I have, but I studied it long enough to identify its source and some of its properties. What I found was intriguing, but it was also very risky. I was afraid to tell you about it. I didn't want you coming to rely on an untested energy source and risk having it fail at a critical moment, and more significantly I didn't want you to experiment with it in a way that could interfere with your judgment.

I say that because that is a very real concern with this energy. I'm intentionally being vague about it, because by its very nature it distorts personality traits. I wouldn't want what happened to Crash Man to happen to you.

Please try to have faith in this old man. I know this is frustrating. I know you feel left out. I know you're confused about so many things. Believe me when I say I'm trying to do what's right.

That said, it appears that I must resume research into this energy if Dr. Wily intends to employ it the way he has. Perhaps we can find a way to combat it. Maybe I can find a more stable way of interfacing with it, something I can build for you that you can use safely.

I have bright hope for the future.

Love,
Dr. Light

Old Posted 01-26-2018, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #41  
SUBJECT: [Advertisement] Pollux and Castor, Robot Investigators
AUTHOR: Pollux and Castor, Robot Investigators
DATE: August 30, 20XX

Two identical robots in blue armor decorated with angular white points stand side-by-side, smiling at the camera as the ad fades in. The captions on the screen indicate that their names are Pollux, on the left, and Castor, on the right. They're both wearing obviously forced smiles, and their delivery suggests that they're not very good actors. The twins take turns saying their lines.

Pollux starts, "Got a problem?"

"Have a question?"

"We can find the answer!"

"We can solve the puzzle!"

"If you need an investigator that's tireless..."

"If you need someone that can be in two places at once..."

They say the next line at the same time. "Then we're the robots for you!"

They switch their turns, and Castor continues, "That's right, Pollux and Castor, Robot Investigators, are here for you!"

"Bringing the robotic power of logical reasoning to you, our clients!"

"We can go places too dangerous for a human investigator!"

"No job is too big -- no overtime fees!"

"Call our office in Monsteropolis at 202-443-6464!"

"Or toll-free at 8XX-243-6464!"

They speak together again for one last line before the scene fades out. "When you're in trouble, call us on the double!"

Outtake:

Pollux and Castor grin at the camera as they jog in place.

Pollux: "Got a problem?"

Castor: "We'll solve it!"

The two robots raise their hands and spin around.

Together: "Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it!"

Old Posted 01-29-2018, 11:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Robot Ballet: A New Trend
DATE: September 2, 20XX

"Robots have been able to dance for quite a long time now. Even I can dance, a little. But tonight we take a look at a new show that's been getting rave reviews: the first robot ballet troupe! We have with us today the choreographer and premier danseur, The Top!"

"Thank you, Plum." Tonight's guest is clad in orange, black, and white, and despite having a large conical head shaped like a spinning top, he manages to affect a quite dignified appearance. "It's an honor to be recognized."

"Glad to have you here! So to get down to it, I think the first question everyone has is: Why? What gave you the idea to start the troupe, when it had never been done before?"

The Top nods thoughtfully. "I'm sure most people would just assume I had been built for the role. But no, I was actually going to be a driver for the Battle and Chase competition. I might still try my hand at that when the next season starts, but until then... The rhythm and grace of dance caught my attention. I found that between my sense of balance and the wheels on my feet, I had a natural fit in the ballet. So I went out searching for other robots who shared my passion."

"And it seems that the public is enraptured by your performance."

"Well, I'm flattered, but I'm just chasing my dreams. I dance because I love it."

"Such an inspirational message. What do you think of the imitators trying to cash in on the trend?"

"To them I say, please continue! Dance isn't a competition to see who is best. It's an art form, a way to be expressive and share beauty with the world. And don't think that dance requires you to be a graceful ballet danseur. All it takes is rhythm! There's plenty of room for other interpretations. If you want to dance, use the way you move, whether it's spinning in circles or punching and kicking. There's no wrong way!"

Plum seems a little surprised. "That's such a great sentiment! I love it." She turns her attention back to the audience through the camera. "The Top's troupe performs again tomorrow night at 8 o'clock PM. Tickets haven't sold out yet, so get yours before they do!"

Old Posted 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #43  
In case I have readers here that I don't know about, I just want to point out that this thread isn't just for me to publish in. Discussion is allowed!

Old Posted 02-01-2018, 04:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Fighting for Justice?
AUTHOR: Rock [DLN-001]
DATE: July 24, 20XX

Dr. Light,

With everything that's been going on lately, I really don't know what to do. It feels like all the fighting I did was for nothing. So many people are saying that what I did was bad, and I have to wonder if they might have a point.

I volunteered to become Mega Man last year because it was obvious what "right" and "wrong" were at the time. It was wrong to make robots attack humans. It was wrong to take peaceful robots doing a useful job and take away their purpose. It was wrong to try to force the world to submit. And at the time, it was right to fight against these wrongs in order to restore peace and justice.

This time was different. Nobody got hurt. One of the robots was trying to do good. One just wanted to be left alone. One wanted to help me and was forced to attack. For several of them, trying to fight them risked doing more damage than leaving them alone would have. And Dr. Wily was trying to develop science, not take over the world again. I know he still did a lot of damage, but was it really appropriate to send me in to fight him personally?

And since the Robot Masters were destroyed, we don't even have information about what Dr. Wily was trying to do. And they weren't mindless like when your first six Robot Masters got reprogrammed. They talked like me. They talked to me. They talked about what they wanted and how they felt.

So why did I have to fight like that? What was the point? I didn't save anyone. I didn't stop anything. I destroyed robots that could think like me.

There wasn't even justice in the end. Dr. Wily got away without having to pay for his crimes. Now we don't know where he is or what he's doing.

Now that politician guy is trying to make it illegal to destroy intelligent robots. I'm not so sure that's a bad idea...

I don't know what to say anymore.

-Rock

SUBJECT: Meet Rush!
DATE: July 27, 20XX
FORMAT: Plain Text with attachments

Rock,

Please come to the lab when you have a chance. I've completed a new robot named Rush. He's modeled after a dog, and I hope he can be a good companion for you. He's a good boy and he'll be able to keep up with you no matter where you go.

I hope Rush can help you through this troubled time you're having. I know I felt optimistic while I was working on him.

Love,
Dr. Light

SUBJECT: Re: Meet Rush!
DATE: July 27, 20XX

I sent you an e-mail three days ago, and I never got a response. I KNOW you read it. The server told me. And now you get me a puppy, as if that makes everything better? I'm not a little human boy that can be distracted from his problems by a cute animal!

You keep talking about the future but sometimes I feel like you aren't paying attention to what's going on RIGHT NOW.

I'm going on a trip. I need to go get a different perspective. You might be a brilliant scientist and my creator, but right now you don't feel like much of a father.

-Rock

P.S. I'm taking Rush.

Old Posted 02-02-2018, 11:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #45  
SUBJECT: Re: Mark III Robot Masters
DATE: September 9, 20XX

The infiltration stage is complete. Six of the eight Mark III Robot Masters have successfully positioned themselves into society.

DWN-017 "Needle Man" was not able to complete its primary objective, but found employment in a mining facility on its own initiative. Not one of the intended objectives, but in line with overall mission parameters.

DWN-018 "Magnet Man" achieved mission parameters as designed, establishing a presence in the construction sector. Above and beyond mission parameters, DWN-018 has also joined a philanthropic organization and ingratiated itself with DLN-002.

DWN-019 "Gemini Man" achieved mission parameters as designed, establishing a presence in the business sector.

DWN-020 "Hard Man" opted to pursue the secondary objective, discarding the industrial application and identifying a means by which to achieve positive public visibility. It exceeded expectations by establishing a devoted fan base. Extremely successful result.

DWN-021 "Top Man" achieved mission parameters as designed, establishing a presence in the arts. Public response was even more positive than anticipated. Highly successful result.

DWN-022 "Snake Man" has failed to achieve either primary or secondary mission objectives. Falling back to tertiary mission objective to support DWN-024.

DWN-023 "Spark Man" achieved mission parameters as designed, finding employment in the electrical industry. As an amusing aside, it has taken up the role that was once assigned to DLN-008.

DWN-024 "Shadow Man" achieved mission parameters as designed, being seen in public enough to appear normal while engaging in surveillance and reconnaissance. During reconnaissance efforts, DWN-024 found a very interesting discovery. Will document after further research.

SUBJECT: Development Log - July 20XX
DATE: July 28, 20XX

Progress has been very rapid over the last few weeks. It's exciting to be working on something new again. I haven't felt this way since I first started working on the Robot Master project. Has it really been five years since then? My, how time flies.

Rock seems troubled lately. With all of the conflict he's seen lately, I thought it would be a good gesture to provide him with a friend that can stay by his side and not judge him for what he's been through. I'm afraid it wasn't received in the spirit in which it was intended, but I hope Rush will be able to help him even so. I'm sure it'll work out in the long run. He just needs some time.

I've been seeing a lot of blue light as I work. It reminds me of the green light that Rock was exhibiting in the way it reacts to things, but it doesn't respond to willpower the way the green light did. I'm not sure what to make of it. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but I'm a little bit concerned. My next project will be to study it further. Some of the telemetry from Rock's battles might be helpful. I'll be sure to dig into that right away.

Old Posted 02-05-2018, 01:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Robot Master Project Completion
AUTHOR: Dr. Thomas Light
DATE: May 7, 200X

We've completed the prototype of the Robot Master technology. The team has taken to calling him "Proto Man" in the absence of an official project code name, although I suspect it may end up becoming his official designation.

The intelligence core has met or exceeded all expectations. Proto Man is fluently conversational in a number of subjects and has even expressed opinions on matters that do not directly pertain to anything specifically programmed into his databanks. This ability to grow not only beyond his original programming but outside the scope of his original design is truly a groundbreaking discovery. Proto Man may be the first true artificial intelligence in the world, and I am humbled and honored to have been involved in this project.

The power core, on the other hand, isn't doing nearly as well. As a proof of concept, Proto Man's reactor is a success: it demonstrates that the technology can be miniaturized and still produce sufficient energy to power all of Proto Man's systems. Unfortunately, its output isn't completely stable, and there's concern about its longevity that the full-scale reactor design doesn't appear to suffer from. I don't think these issues are insurmountable, but there's apparently still more research we need to do to stabilize the micro-reactor system.

The weapons system meets the requirements set forth by the military contract helping to fund the Robot Master project. It does not involve any new technology, just the standard condensed energy "buster" system that is by now well understood and thoroughly tested. The power core produces a sufficient energy budget to support sustained buster fire alongside all other functions, meaning that a military Robot Master design will be able to think, move, and shoot simultaneously without needing to reduce power to any systems or pause to recharge. However, given the concerns with the power core's stability, and to help manage thermal dissipation concerns, we have limited the buster's rate of fire to operate in three-shot bursts with a cooldown period.

As a postscript, I have started designing a system to allow the adaptation of external technology into a Robot Master in the field. Given the intended non-military applications of the Robot Master project, this would be the most versatile way to use a mass-produced design in various industries instead of requiring a specialized design for each application.

SUBJECT: Robot Master Project Review, Next Steps
DATE: August 9, 200X

After demonstrating Proto Man to the investors back in May, we have had six orders placed for non-military Robot Masters. Two Robot Masters will be working in excavation, one will be assigned to power plant maintenance, one to forestry, one to waste management, and most excitingly one for Antarctic research and exploration. One request from the petroleum industry was withdrawn, and one request for a Robot Master to work in time travel experiments was rejected as we aren't sufficiently certain we could fill the order within the requested time constraints. (Albert disagrees with this decision. He thinks the project will require less effort than our estimates, and he is more optimistic about the safety of the product.)

The military has decided to proceed with the Joe series of combat androids instead of commissioning Robot Masters. While of course I am disappointed that this contract ended up falling through, I can't help but to think it's for the best.

Proto Man himself has... disappeared. While the company as a whole is able to write off the loss without significant impact, I personally am taking his absence rather hard. He seemed to look up to me as a sort of father figure. I had forged a relationship with him, giving him the personal name Blues after he expressed a fondness for that genre of music. I suspect that our inability to track his location has something to do with his malfunctioning power core, but I don't understand why he ran away. It may take a while to learn more about his motivations.

In Proto Man's absence, I think I'm going to need some more help in the lab in order to fill these orders. I think the best idea would be to build some Robot Masters to act as lab assistants. This will give me more experience in building them before working on the contracts, and having Robot Master intelligence helping me will make the work more efficient and less error-prone. I have already designated these two as "Rock" and "Roll". Their names are inspired by them being successors to Blues.

Details on these eight Robot Master projects will follow as the designs are completed.

Old Posted 02-12-2018, 01:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #47  
SUBJECT: Robot Master Project: "Rock" and "Roll"
DATE: September 2, 200X

Construction of Robot Masters designated DLN-001 "Rock" and DLN-002 "Roll" is complete. Proto Man has been retroactively given the designation DLN-000.

Rock was immediately helpful with Roll's construction. He read all of the development notes from the Robot Master project and provided feedback based on his own implementation. His support made the process much more efficient. This alone provides undeniable proof of the value of the Robot Master concept.

It's fascinating how much of a difference there is between Rock's behavior and Roll's. They were built to nearly the same specifications aside from cosmetic differences, but they learned and developed so quickly that their personalities diverged. Perhaps the chief difference in their development was the needs expressed in their environments. When Rock was activated, I had no lab assistants at all, and he quickly stepped into that role. When Roll was activated, I already had a lab assistant, but the lab had grown rather disorganized over the past few weeks of effort, and she took to cleaning and organizing it on her own initiative.

Roll is of course still completely competent when it comes to robotics and engineering. She even went out of her way to repair my luggage! I had left Eddie in the corner of the lab, intending to fix him when I had time, but Roll beat me to it. I wasn't going to say no!

Rock has begun helping me with the Variable Tool System that I mentioned previously. Albert seems somewhat less interested in this part of the project. He does raise a valid point: All of our tools are already designed to be operated by human hands, and both Rock and Roll have humanoid hands already, so they are already able to employ all of the tools without needing any special technological interface. Call it ambitious, I suppose, but I think that there's value in a single tool that's versatile enough to serve the purpose of all of the other tools while being able to add more tools as the need arises.

SUBJECT: Post-Boot Kernel Log
AUTHOR: Proto Man
DATE: September 12, 20XX

Booting Robot Master kernel...
Memory scan in progress... [ OK ]
Hardware scan in progress...
Hardware configuration mismatch detected. Resolving...
Micro-reactor system missing. Driver disabled.
New power source detected. Unable to identify. No drivers available.
[ NOTE ] Hardware configuration has been changed.
[ WARN ] No power management drivers loaded. Charging and charge level monitoring unavailable.
Initializing hardware... [ OK ]
Performing quick filesystem check... [ OK ]
Filesystem has not been checked in 1449 days. Full filesystem scan recommended.
Mounting filesystem... [ OK ]
Freeing unused kernel memory.
Loading userspace software.

- Welcome to RMOS v1.0 -

Old Posted 02-14-2018, 01:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
SUBJECT: Snake Man - Encounter Log
DATE: September 13, 20XX
FORMAT: Holovid + Telemetry + Annotations

The holovid shows Rock in his civilian outfit walking through the shopping district with Rush at his side. According to the telemetry readouts, the Mega Man armor is back at Light Labs. It's been a month and a half since the argument with Dr. Light, and the archival computer offers links to other records to help provide context: The two haven't completely come to terms with each other yet, but Roll has managed to talk Rock into giving Dr. Light another chance. It's been rough since then, with Rock spending a lot of time away from the lab.

Today, Rock has gone out on a shopping trip to buy parts, jumping at the excuse to get out again.

"Hey. Mega Man." A voice from off to the side speaks softly, loud enough to be heard but not enough to draw more attention.

Rock pauses, frowning and looking back. "Don't call me Mega Man."

"But you're him, right?"

"I'm not looking for fans."

"Okay, okay, fine. I get it. Rock, then."

Rock lets out a mildly disgruntled harrumph and turns around, approaching the speaker. It's a black, white, and green robot built along the same general body plan as Mega Man -- it's become a popular style among robot designers for several reasons; it's versatile, compact, simple without looking primitive, and of course it's modeled after a celebrity. This particular robot features a white chest armor overlay with large, pointed pauldrons, and his head is a stylized snake, with his face outlined by the snake's mouth and a decorative tail hanging from the back.

"What do you want?" Rock frowns suspiciously.

"I know you don't like hero worship. I know you don't like having to fight other robots."

"I don't want an interview, either."

"I'm not asking for an interview! Just hear me out. I just want to talk. You don't have to say anything, if you don't want to."

"... Fine. I'm listening."

The green robot takes a symbolic deep breath before continuing. "Don't you think robots deserve rights?"

Rock starts to turn away. "Geez, no politics, either!"

"Wait! Wait, no, I'm sorry, this isn't about that bill. I'm talking about understanding what's right and wrong. I'm a robot, and I don't want to get blown up just because some human decided I shouldn't exist. You're a robot, and I get the feeling that you don't like being told what to do either. So maybe what I should say is... Do you think that robots are people?"

A dark scowl creases Rock's face, but he plants his feet. "Some of them."

"They don't DESERVE to die."

"I'm not the one to make that decision."

"Okay, that's the kind of answer I wanted to hear. I respect that. We're on the same side."

That makes Rock blink, raising an eyebrow in confusion. "Who's... taking sides right now?"

"Sorry, I didn't introduce myself. My name is Snake Man."

"Is that supposed to mean something to me?"

"Not on its own, but you know my father... Albert Wily?"

Rock's expression hardens in an instant and he raises his arm before remembering that he's not wearing his armor.

Snake Man raises his hands. "Hey, what's that about! I didn't do anything to you!"

"You're a Robot Master!"

"So are you. What's your point?"

"You're a WILY Robot Master!"

"He built you, too, at least in part."

Rock's composure hesitates. "That was before Wily turned into a terrorist and turned good, hard-working robots into war machines."

"Hits a little close to home, doesn't it."

That makes Rock freeze cold.

"You have more in common with us than you realize," Snake Man continues, "I'm not here to fight you. So tell me, Mega Man... Why do you want to fight me?"

Rock can't answer.

"Dr. Wily is guilty of his own crimes. Don't judge me just because of who built me. I haven't done anything, and I don't intend to."

"Then... what do you want?"

"Me? I don't want anything. I'm just... talking to the Robot Master that killed my brothers."

Snake Man walks away before Rock can find the words to answer.

Old Posted 02-17-2018, 01:32 AM Reply With Quote