Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Problem to the Solution
Default   #49  
Now that I think on it, I feel like Trisphee's story could use a bit of a rework, or possible full on rewrite.

I'm not flaming, or trying to step on toes. However, it does feel like most of the story chapters were released with little to no fanfare, and had almost nothing tying them in to really bring people to want to read them. I'll be honest, I didn't even know Trisphee had an ongoing story for several months. And now looking back, quite a few bits do not fit together or are completely contradictory. The threads detailing the planets and races of the Trisphee universe alone contradicts itself about every three sentences, and it seems like the stories have fallen to the side entirely.

I mean, we haven't had one since *checks* March of 2014? Could we try to jumpstart them perhaps? Perform a full reboot or even a rework of the story? It would allow you to start fresh instead of keeping to the current obscure or convoluted world setting rules, and bringing back events that tied in to the story would be fun and engaging. I don't know if anyone actually enjoys reading them or not these days, but it could be worth a shot.
Old Posted 01-31-2015, 08:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
We've had some discussion on story rewrites, but there's a lot of work that would need done to accomplish it effectively. And a lot of the older stuff was made up on the fly by individual staffers that weren't even on the writing team; there wasn't a whole lot of effort put into canon until we got Suzerain of Sheol on board.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 01:10 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #51  
Perhaps we could think about tossing out what we have of the story so far, or archive it, and start something anew? It's certainly dramatic and scary sounding, but it might be for the benefit if we are hoping for some new user base, since people wouldn't feel like there's a ton of backstory they need to get through to understand what comes about now.

If Trisphee needs some reworking, and the consensus seems to be that it does, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with just up and saying, "hey! Story is a little messed up here, so we're going to start up something new!" Make a new canon.

I also don't think changing the layout or format of the site is going to help much. I think it's fine as it is and I'm quite comfortable with it. Easy to use, not hard on the eyes.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-01-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 01:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
There are a lot of things I'd really like to do to help the site, it comes down to time and money. I have a car, a house, etc to pay for. So I can't quit my job. I still fit some time in for trisphee but I have 2 other jobs besides here.

One of the things I would love to do is do Item reboots. which is rereleasing old items but repixel them. i am not blind to the fact that the items I pixel now are much better than before. But i am afraid doing things like this would deter people as well. I want to put more time into trisphee, I'd like to see this place prosper even if I am not the owner anymore, so I have to say I agree, a lot needs to be done to fix trisphee but in the end the question is HOW far we have to go to do and how far is to far?
The Almighty Fen-God
[8:25:15 PM] Galla: o3o ty for amusing my peen obsession
Married to: Galla, Aurelia, Sei, Demonskid, Arrikanez and Ashy.
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.
Belial is my Cookie Monster!

Mon-Mon is my rainbow popsicle!
Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 01:53 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #53  
Given this is an avatar site, what about focusing primarily on the items as far as the events go? Smaller events rather than big ones, that are based around the user population and new items rather than any specific story that users around at the time may or may not want to bother with. Not having to work out an integrated story to tie the events together would probably save some time and frustration. One less thing to worry about is one less weight on the brain.
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:03 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
There are a lot of things I'd really like to do to help the site, it comes down to time and money. I have a car, a house, etc to pay for. So I can't quit my job. I still fit some time in for trisphee but I have 2 other jobs besides here.

One of the things I would love to do is do Item reboots. which is rereleasing old items but repixel them. i am not blind to the fact that the items I pixel now are much better than before. But i am afraid doing things like this would deter people as well. I want to put more time into trisphee, I'd like to see this place prosper even if I am not the owner anymore, so I have to say I agree, a lot needs to be done to fix trisphee but in the end the question is HOW far we have to go to do and how far is to far?
Re-pixeling is fun. Especially when you get to compare it to your old work. :3 You should re-pixel for fun and release them without consistency so you don't have to feel like your "working."

I'm juggling a lot in life as well, I always forget how much free time I have and how much free time I don't have. It comes and goes, but I found it easier to do things a little bit at a time. :/

I still think we need better Shop organization (finding anything when you don't know what your looking for is impossible! CODA. HALP. Top on your to-do list! Forget Taxes! Oh and teach my Python for class. K thx bye.)

But Fen we love you, we miss you, and I heard that someone said you couldn't do it because you didn't have the guts too. What that thing is. DO IT FEN. PROVE THAT PERSON WRONG!

Edit: And again... Trisphee's Business Plan in a nutshell:

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
Default   #55  
i actually made a lot of suggestions for shop, avatar, inventory and trade improvements to help sort things through so it wasn't hard.
The Almighty Fen-God
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.

Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
2nd reply, you know funny enough its not the pixels that are hard for me, its the designing. We do have plenty of designs back stock i could be using but it comes down to a question of what fits what we should be doing. Also the monthlies this month are done, they are just getting recolors right now which is my fault. Fitting Tris in is hard. But I do try my best. That being said I'm starting to catch up otherwise they'd be later. once recolors are done they will be out.

As for repixels. I want to repixel Inventory dream and Cyber reaper so bad and rerelease them, but i don't want to step on people's toes either. There are others I want to do as well.
The Almighty Fen-God
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.

Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #57  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salone View Post
Now that I think on it, I feel like Trisphee's story could use a bit of a rework, or possible full on rewrite.
As Coda said, it's an idea. Doing so would likely involve a communal throwing of our hands in the air and giving up on the entire mess that was the plot, which I suppose there's been inertia to actually doing.

Quote:
I'm not flaming, or trying to step on toes. However, it does feel like most of the story chapters were released with little to no fanfare, and had almost nothing tying them in to really bring people to want to read them.
Well, no, they stopped getting event or art support some time ago, which led to the forced abandonment of the project, more or less. We began to shove the plot updates into the most lifeless corner of the forums while running events themed around the site mascots that went nowhere. I don't really have an answer as to why that happened. It was not a decision I had any part in.

Quote:
I'll be honest, I didn't even know Trisphee had an ongoing story for several months. And now looking back, quite a few bits do not fit together or are completely contradictory. The threads detailing the planets and races of the Trisphee universe alone contradicts itself about every three sentences, and it seems like the stories have fallen to the side entirely.
That honestly should have been deleted years ago, it's an artifact of the days before I had anything to do with the story, and it's embarrassingly poorly written. I think its sheer age has deterred anyone from removing it.

Quote:
I mean, we haven't had one since *checks* March of 2014? Could we try to jumpstart them perhaps? Perform a full reboot or even a rework of the story? It would allow you to start fresh instead of keeping to the current obscure or convoluted world setting rules, and bringing back events that tied in to the story would be fun and engaging. I don't know if anyone actually enjoys reading them or not these days, but it could be worth a shot.
They stopped because I was in the hospital for a year and the site moved on in the meantime (or, rather, withered up into the limping husk it is now), and no one was really reading them before that anyway. I still have all my notes on where it was going, but I doubt the plot that was in motion will ever be finished. There really just seems to be no reason or interest to.

And in terms of a re-imagining and starting from a clean slate, I'm not entirely sure what form a new story for the site should take. Whatever it might be, though, would require integrated support in items, events, and themed games to prevent it from stagnating and choking to death the way the last one did. It can't stand on its own.

I'm still here, though, even if I don't post much, if anything is ever sorted out regarding it. I have no real attachment to the extant plot as it stands, besides the amount of hours I put into writing it. It was always an effort of trying to salvage something deeply, deeply flawed from its very inception, and it could only go so far. I would not be opposed to attempting something new or different in the future; it's the details and logistics that I'm at a loss to account for.

-Suze
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 05:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Everything that has been done was part of Pandora's dream. She wakes up to find herself back in her shop at the cash register waiting for customers.

-nods-

I'm all for a story rewrite. starting off with actual story with background info on the NPC's in the header, and the shop NPC's.

Don't delete existing NPCs, use them as side characters (Filler Characters) that aren't as important. Just give them a background re-write keeping certain aspects of them, like their personality and if possible their profession.

Don't make new NPC's for this reason or that. Use the ones you have if you need someone that's not a main character to do something. The one reason I can't seem to follow the stories and stuff is that NPC's are made then forgotten about.

Kaimid's Furball has gone missing. More than likely she ran away after the third catapult into the ceiling. Zeo, who had wanted to get some body art done, came looking for the tattoo artist. He tells Kaimid that he saw furball sitting on one of the chairs in the shop. Kaimid rushes back and finds his furry friend curled up and sleeping right where Zeo said she was. Zeo got a small discount off his new tattoo. A painfully small discount.

Rewrite the planets as well. Some of the races on those planets were supposed to be taken down anyway. Explain the countries and territories of the planets and with information of what race lives there and what they are like.

Quesaria, a beautiful planet full of forests and ruins. Crystals that radiate a strange energy cling to trees and rocks as if it were growing off of them. Home to the ever hunted Sinopa. If you have one as a pet, keep them away from radioactive chinchilla's, who seem to be their sworn enemy.

In the story part, have stuff in there that will lead up to the next event, and when the event happens add a summary like part. Like a NPC remembering what went on during the event, and have the event linked somewhere in the memories. Since Events are RP based and are in chapters, link each chapter to the memories of that section. That way for those who don't like reading RPs can still read what happened in the story.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Last edited by Demonskid; 02-01-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 01:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #59  
As an ex-writer back from the not-shopkeeper storyline, I'm going to put it out there that the shopkeeper-verse extremely fragmented and hastily put together. Sure, it may have been cheery and lackadaisical, and maybe that drew more readers, but I also felt it was really haphazard and didn't go anywhere in particular.

On the other hand, the storyline with Dyten/Ryuko/everyone else was, in my own opinion, intact and planned out for months in advance. Sure, it was going down a rather morbid path, and I think that's why people started not reading it. Perhaps the chapters were too long, but all the writers at the time (who often amount to just two or three of us) spent hours hammering out a third, fourth, fifth draft.

Do I want to keep the darker storyline? Sure. But I don't see it helping Trisphee much at all, so I'm not fully opposed to somehow writing around it. But the "waking up from a dream" thing is one of the most cliche deus ex machina that writers use to reroute a plot, and it also has the appearance of tossing everything we've done for the past few years under the bus.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
We could do a trisiana or Sarya accidently destroy the story line bit.
The Almighty Fen-God
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.

Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #61  
Unfortunately, having some higher power destroy a world is tantamount to the main character waking up from a dream. Honestly, I think a better option (and one that I'd be willing to help with) would be to have Mirothea, who doesn't really have much in terms of details yet, to be reworked as some sort of purifier. I know there are things happening in the story aside from Mirothea, but since most of the later plot hasn't actually been revealed yet, I feel like that a path the storyline could take.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
You guys should just pull a X-Men: Days of Future Past. Just write up an epic adventure of the shopkeepers of our present go back in time to grab their former selves to help fight a mighty force, then kill everyone off in the present and send everyone to the past at the end with the knowledge that we know what will happen and how to prevent it. So that way you can start fresh on all the adventures if need be, change outcomes of the events, and have an excuse to repeat some events as well to maintain consistency and simply just haves things to do on the site.

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #63  
I agree with Espy's assessment, those deus ex mechanical solutions are extremely cheap and the mark of poor writing. I would never endorse something like that, which is not to say it wouldn't happen, since as you can likely tell by the last several events, I have remarkably little input on the kinds of stories we feature these days. I don't think it's any secret around here that I absolutely detest the shop NPCs, never wanted them featured in the site story and was overruled on the matter, and I don't support any storyline involving them period, whatever we end up doing going forward. I think they were the single worst creative decision ever made on Trisphee. That is my opinion as the nominal head of writing around here. They are better left as mascots, not characters. If for some reason we require mascots.

I would much sooner just "[toss] everything we've done for the past few years under the bus.", Espy, than attempt to wrestle the current plot in a completely new direction to somehow wrap it up with an ending that can only be weak and disappointing.

As to the "morbidity" of the plot, I am fully at fault for that, if it is a fault, but I'm sorry, that is what you get when you ask me to write a war story. I never have and never will accept the white-washing of violence into something delightful and adventurous suitable for children. If it's going to be portrayed, it will carry the necessary emotional consequences to do it justice. The original plot for the The Fight for Freedom (I still cringe at that title) was laughable: the plucky underdog rebels against the moustache-twirling aimlessly-evil monarch. That was an interplanetary campaign of insurgent terrorism aimed at igniting a civil war. It should never have been "fun".

But I digress. I'm more convinced that it was a lack of interest in reading long chapters, than the content itself, that played the larger factor in causing the userbase to lose interest in the plot. And that same problem is what concerns me with starting anything new. If the format remains the same, I foresee a similar outcome, regardless of the nature of the plot.

And @DK, I have literally no idea what any of that is supposed to mean, but all of the mentioned NPCs were part of the core foundational problem with the story in its faulted state. All of the staff-insert NPCs should have been obliterated long ago, and the writing should be left to actual writers if there's to be any sense of professionalism to the project.

And quite honestly, the term "NPC" has always bothered me. This is not a video game. This is not a roleplay. Those characters were just that, characters; protagonists, antagonists, foils, supporting roles, etc. Any supposed "NPCs" I personally added were there for a reason, and the others were forced in because of staff politics, "rewarding" non-writers by allowing them to make their own character for the story. This can not happen in the future, no matter what we end up deciding to do. It is a shameful way to conduct a professional endeavor, and the disastrous results it wreaked are plain to see.

I am sorry if I come across as bitter about this, but I feel like a lot of the blame for the failure of the story gets laid at my feet, and I'm not sure anyone understands the hopeless, Sisyphean task I was given in trying to produce something workable out the wreckage of the Taskal War's catastrophic mess of a background plot. Add to that years of being out-voted on story matters, being denied item support for changes in the characters as the story progressed (or events actually relevant to the plot), and the general sentiment around the site that "anyone can write, and everyone should have equal input on the plot direction", and you can get an idea of the sort of framework I would require before undertaking another attempt at a major story for the site.

So, if you were turned away by the violence and despair and what I did to some of the old, beloved NPCs, you have my apology, but if it's anything else, I cannot be sorry, as I quite likely hate it far more than you do. Maybe there's hope for something better in the future, but that's where it stands right now.

-Suze out
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 02-01-2015, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
I wasn't saying use what I put. If you guys haven't noticed the jokes in my little bits you'd see that those weren't meant to be taken serious. Then again I guess since everyone seemed to have taken it seriously, Quesaria really does have radioactive chinchillas =/ here I thought that was a particular user who likes to eat Sinopa's on here.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 02-01-2015, 06:42 PM Reply With Quote