Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #65  
I think the green one looks like a poisonous frog. :3

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 09-04-2013, 11:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Does this mean Ashy is really a poisonous Christmas Martian frog? o3o

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #67  
Absolutely. Don't lick her or you'll get infected.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 09-05-2013, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
But I thought Martians are not poisonous? o3o

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 12:35 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #69  
they aren't. they are hallucinogenic
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid: View Post
I think the green one looks like a poisonous frog. :3
thats exactly what i was going for xD

*high fives lucid*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 01:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
Default   #71  
Im going to post this reply here, cuz I think everyone deserves to see it.

The design in no way paints native americans as a bully, yes re'em are bullies but if you go into why I designed this item that way it may be more understandable. For one the types of animals re'em are based off of are thick through western culture. I do not like following traditional mythology and I did not want to do the item as Jewish especially since the re'em is also possibly unicorn, you have to go deep into the essence of the item to realize I spread the roots of it for a reason. While the re'em is Jewish, unicorns and other such creatures are clearly not. Each culture in the work has different ways of viewing mythological beasts. As for the fact that the re'em is considered a bully, for once I'm Apache indian, we WERE bullies, and just because I chose a mythological creature does not mean im not going to research down to the very basis of what it could be I apologise if an item I put a lot of my own research time and effort into is being considered rude or callous. What I find even more interesting is that I did not design the face paint which is something that was pointed out to me as clownish and extremely rude. Ive also been told the hair was nappy? And I designed it as smooth and pulled to the sides with leather strips.
The Almighty Fen-God
[8:25:15 PM] Galla: o3o ty for amusing my peen obsession
Married to: Galla, Aurelia, Sei, Demonskid, Arrikanez and Ashy.
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.
Belial is my Cookie Monster!

Mon-Mon is my rainbow popsicle!
Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Art Meiser
If anyones interested...ALL of the clothes had a native american reference. Though a lot of them were very ornate in nature I did this because I find the amount of ornamentation they use as quite beautiful. I also had no part in deciding the items name, and Im not sure why I was given all the credit for designs when I didn't get to design the only other things I wanted to (which was a gazelle skin and a spotted skin of sorts and a drum) due to my job. I really feel like a lot of what is considered as possibly rude needs to be explained, but I did not appreciate the assumption that I was callous and rude and did not understand what I was doing to the native american people, especially when I myself love my native american ancestry. If you want me to go into express detail of my design choice, sure I will. But I think if you go right down to Re'em, see bovine, unicorn, etc and start spreading the roots from there and take into consideration my own native american heritage you could see why it was done that way.
The Almighty Fen-God
[8:25:15 PM] Galla: o3o ty for amusing my peen obsession
Married to: Galla, Aurelia, Sei, Demonskid, Arrikanez and Ashy.
Batty is My Girlfriend!
Mizzy is my Family.
Belial is my Cookie Monster!

Mon-Mon is my rainbow popsicle!
Chi is my Famiry!

Old Posted 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #73  
I love the hair... O___O;;;

I think we need more like it, just, ya know, longer.
<.<; Cause I love long hair. xD;
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i don't get 'bully' i get stereotypical and 'phocahantasy' it's a wash generalization of the parts of general indian psudo-apperal made popular by roy rogers, the lone ranger, peterpan, and well to be frank pocahontas(the dress looks like it was ripped right from the movie) it is hollywood filler and if you 'based' it on real clothes you based it quite loosely especially with the string underbust and the fish-net corset. i would need to see your 'references' to understand where you came up with these designs

this part is based on my own opinions and feelings and is not to be taken as an objective retort;

i am not sure what fraction of native you claim to be dear or what affiliation you claim to have but i got do be a fringe part of it when i was a kid because my grandmother was cherokee and my family were not entirely homogenized. the stuff you threw in there was offensive then and is so now. that shit with nappy hair, warpaint, and loincloths were used as insults and slurs, to be frank all you had to do to just make it completely racist is throw in some gaudy turquoise&silver jewelry, make a deep sienna red skin and throw in some dreamcatchers. you encapsulated the american stereotype of what a native person is without any real understanding of any one particular culture
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #75  
xD See there is a reason why I never present my original drawings or tell where the influence of the item came from. If people like the item well enough I see no reason to expose its flaws or influence. Most of the time people can't even phantom how my thinking process goes.

I am not sure why people are offended by the stereotypes when stereotypes exist for a reason. I may just be a lackadaisical artist in that respect. I don't see anything to specific about the item to brand it to one type of Native American culture, or maybe its offensive because it doesn't stick out? And if that is the case why haven't the users cried wolf when there have been a lot of religious iconography used in items, as well as Native American cultures before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink pantzer View Post
I was just stating my thoughts and how I felt. Since this is the thread for that I did just that. Im so sorry it caused such a conflict. I will keep my thoughts to myself next time.
As to not saying your opinion entirely. To that I say that is what discourse is for. You shouldn't open your mouth and say something if you can not handle the rebuttle. Not everything about the item has to be positive, however you need to be prepared for the answers. That doesn't mean get defensive and shut down. It is something I have noticed a lot of users will do since they are afraid of hurting artist feelings. SO MANY FEELINGS AROUND THIS SITE. When the artist reply they (rather I ) do so for justification, and then possible suggestion for next time.

If it helps for the future answer like this:

Pros (Why I like the items)
Negative (Why I dislike the item)
Needs improvement: ( Areas or ideas where the item could be improved)

Using this format keeps this thread objective which is what I think critquing items should be all about With logical facts to back up a users reasoning it will cut out all the illrational and unexpained feelings such as the ones where your culture has been slandered.

Edit:

As for the unexpected racism. If Fen or the designer was basing it off their select group of Native American, especially ones that exist on the planes, it would be hard to tell it was derogatory towards a group that mostly dwelled on the eastern seaboard until the trail of tears. Localized culture is not the same as the broad thing.

For the broad scope of things, those of us that are not truly intricate with the culture only know of what google and books tell us. So in that respect I think the item is fine.

I think if the ideas had time to be masked more no one would be complaining as much as they are. Especially since the designers have been know to use tribal aspects of Native Americanism before and no one said a word. Just look at the patterning on a lot of the items.
Last edited by Poggio; 09-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old Posted 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
It wasn't that research, wasn't done, as it was. Rather the differing Native American roots of various staffers and users has caused controversy with the Buffalump item.

I'm blunt and direct.
Old Posted 09-06-2013, 11:28 PM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #77  
I, personally, love the Buffalump item. And if we're gonna be throwing this around, I too am part Cherokee on both my mom and dad's side. I know the culture and I know that the design isn't historically accurate, and even a little stereotypical. It wasn't supposed to be accurate. It's a fantasy item with designs inspired by native american culture. Personally, when I saw the design I was very excited to see the native american culture (even if generalized) being brought on to Trisphee. That being said, I understand why some people might be offended, but as it's been said before anything designed wasn't meant to be offensive at all. -flies away-
Old Posted 09-08-2013, 09:07 PM Reply With Quote  
The Mad Scientist
I really do love you all, but this is a pixel items, made with good intentions, this wasn't meant to insult or offend.

If you'd like to continue arguing this point that has, atleast to me, been exhausted, please do so in pm's.

I respect your opinions and feelings, but please be kind to everyone on the site and extinguish this.

Thank you.

Old Posted 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #79  
Moving on, I moustache you all a question...

Does this hat look good on me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 09-16-2013, 10:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
Moving on, I moustache you all a question...
I'm shaving it for later.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-17-2013, 03:34 AM Reply With Quote