Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #97  
But the weapons Panzerkit was wielding weren't nearly as heavy as yours. :P
Old Posted 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
Ah. well, still, lots of encumbermant.

Also, if you see my roleplay, Fortriu? It's actually based off my Bel realm and character XD
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
Default   #99  
I also had my shield and usually a shortsword!

But yeah, light stuff. Bulk was issue, not weight

With my new armor though weight soars into the picture

I don't actually move any slower though, I've never moved fast . . . I did however unbalance myself on a dodge and fell over, and thanks to my lack of strength and my armor I needed help getting back up
Old Posted 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
Ouch DX

I don't wear armor, at all. I'm big on agility, always have been *Is Archery captain, so this sould be obvious*

I need my quick dodges and such. I mean, the easiest way for me to take down a red fighter? I can fight circles around em all day.
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #101  
Well, playing as a monk and as a wizard I wasn't ALLOWED to wear armor -- class restrictions, you know -- but I did manage to achieve level 2 warrior just from fighter practice and I had a really nice cloth armor shirt I had made. I don't know what happened to it but it LOOKED like armor so it was pretty popular.
Old Posted 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
So I hear Panzerkit has some new armor and is working on constructing a new sword.

I must say: Amtgard construction rules HAVE evolved since 6.1 when I played. The current rules revision is 7.6 and it requires a full six inches of legal striking material on any stabbing point. This is, if you ask me, absurd. It invalidates every weapon in my inventory, which all have between 1.5" and 3" of stab foam. 6" is just CRAZY, especially if the weapon is a dagger -- 6" of stab foam on a dagger basically means that you have a handle with a blade completely made of foam. @.@ (Edit: *research* Oh, wait, the rule specifically refers to stab-ONLY weapons. Disregard! Actually the new weapon construction rules are a lot less ambiguous and overall I can't criticize except for the aforementioned courtesy padding on pole weapons.)

It seems 7.6 also switched the official rule to shot-in-motion; I always played atomic-clock because shot-in-motion was really hard to judge with some of our fighting styles. On the other hand, shot-in-motion has been explicitly defined as a 0.5 second window... which makes Brandon all that more lethal because he can definitely land a hit in that amount of time.
Old Posted 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #103  
I found an Amtgard field locally, after having not played in nearly a decade. It feels SO good to be getting back into this, and it's done WONDERS for both my physical and emotional health.

I still have one of my old swords that's still in good enough shape to be considered legal (though I had to replace the cover because the rules now say it has to be an OPAQUE cloth cover), and it's been funny to use it -- that sword is older than anyone else's Amtgard career on the field! It's also been funny to see people reacting to a sword that LIGHT, because they all use kite spar or fiberglass for weapon cores and rolled foam for blades so they're used to weapons with more heft. My old sword's still totally LEGAL, but this group just isn't used to it.

My son has started playing with me. I made him a suit of armor out of canvas and 3/8" foam, so it provides some actual protection in addition to a point of in-game armor. He's gotten surprisingly good rather quickly, and as long as he keeps up the offense instead of getting silly or scared I have to pay attention and try or else he CAN and WILL beat me.

Currently I'm working on a greatclub, because polearms aren't shield-breaking anymore. >_<
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 12:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I'd love to be able to participate in a group, but I don't know of any near me...
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 03:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #105  
Same .-.
There is supposedly an Atlatl group (not medieval, but still rather interesting), but I haven't found them.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 10:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I finished that greatclub:

It's very small for a greatclub. ;) I intentionally made it the absolute smallest I could while still technically qualifying as a greatclub (48" long, 18" of 4" diameter padding plus 6" of 1/2"-thick courtesy padding), so that it would be lighter, faster, and easier to wield, especially since there's a decent chance my son might be using it from time to time.

I've named it "The Horn of Joshua" because it has the shield-crushing special ability. The walls will come tumbling down.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-27-2015, 03:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #107  
My Amtgard field just hosted a big event, and we had a TON of fun.

Here's me in full monk action:

And here's my son, Jason, participating in a junior division tournament:

Old Posted 02-21-2016, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I haven't gone to a field since almost 2011 XD I still have all my weapons though, me and my husband were smiths for a while.

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #109  
Brushing this thread back off again!

I've talked about my cloth scale armor in other threads around the site. It was a ridiculous amount of labor, but it looks beautiful. I've won awards with it. But it's BARELY two points, and it's entirely up to the field champion's discretion -- my current champion is only giving it one point. :/ The hassle is making me not want to bother making more.

So I'm pondering over how to get something easier to make, provides better protection (as a scout I can wear three points so I'm not even living up to my potential as it is), and is uncontroversial enough that I don't have to worry about getting docked a point.

I can get a few hundred flat washers for fairly cheap... Maybe using those as metal scale armor?

Old Posted 12-19-2017, 11:25 PM Reply With Quote