Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Trisphee Kensai
Default   #33  
Well, yeah, arrows cost a LOT to replace D; I mean, I can make a javelin for a couple dollars. It'll cost me seven for a good, quality arrow, and that' all I use, I don't use shit arrows. Cause, hey, shoddy equipment hurts people. But, yeah, we don't have classes, and if an arrow hits a weapon, it's considered to have gone through. Same with armor, except head armor. Head armor is impenetrable, for reasons I am unaware of.
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws

id just be happy to see any of them near where i live .. xD i could learn whatever rules for them it'd just be kinda fun to do something along the lines >w<;

cause its magicked : o ~for the head armor~ lol

Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
Default   #35  
...there's no magic in Belegarth XD It's a full-contact sport, no tossing birdseed packets yelling "Lightning Bolt!"
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
In Amtgard, head shots simply don't count at all, for safety reasons. If you're hit in the head, you're free to ignore it; if you're hurt, you can announce "head!" and combat is forced to stop. Presumedly the same rationale applies to Bel -- if head armor were penetrable it would encourage MULTIPLE blows to the head to penetrate it.

Edit: They're not birdseed packets! XD

Edit 2: Amtgard does have classless sparring too, and even in class battles casters are expected to end up locking weapons at some point. (Carrying a weapon larger than a dagger uses up your MP though...) So you're EXPECTED to be able to defend yourself with a blade.
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
Default   #37  
Oh good~ and no, in Bel, headshots with anything non-projectile, or purposely throwing a non-projectile will get ya in trouble~
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
If your hand isn't on the weapon in Amtgard it doesn't count as dealing damage, so throwing a non-projectile weapon in combat is distinctly discouraged. I mean, you're allowed to toss it to someone else to use it, or toss it aside if you can't use it anymore, but it never deals damage unless it's specifically a throwing weapon and you're playing a class that has the skill to use throwing weapons. (That is to say, rogues and level 2 monks, with warriors permitted to use javelins but not other throwing weapons.. if I remember the rules right, it's been years.)

Of course, if you're borrowing a weapon and you treat it poorly, the owner is probably going to throw you off the field. (Possibly literally.)
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #39  
Hey, I've got a curiosity about your arrow construction. Amtgard arrows have to have the original heads hacksawed off and a coin taped to the now-flat end of the shaft, in order to guarantee that it can't puncture through the padding. And then when I make arrows, I use a technique I learned from another player -- I cut one of those yellow foam practice golf balls in half and tape that to the nickel to make sure that nothing solid-solid ever strikes anyone, and then layer on softer foam on top of that to cushion the impact itself and to make it large enough in diameter to ensure that it can't poke someone in the eye. (Amtgard 5.0 rules use "eye socket" as the weapon diameter requirement instead of putting a fixed 2.5" measurement on it.)
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
I meant, like, taking your hammer and tossing it at someone in a rough, "I wanna hurt you." fashion XD Tossing someone a weapon is totally ok. And.....we only have javelins, arrows, and rocks as projectiles. yes. I SAID ROCKS. XD

You're asking the right person~ *archery captain and blacksmith* We make our arrows in much the same fashion, only the coin is required to be a penny for some reason. We then, as a courtesy(It isn't required) put an extra small layer of foam over the penny, to make sure noone ever gets hurt. Then , we add the foam head. And yes, we DO have to take off the original arrowhead.
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #41  
Amtgard RECOMMENDS a penny but you can use a nickel if you want. A dime is too small and a quarter is probably going to be too big.

That's actually the same selection of ranged weapons Amtgard has (for player classes, that is), but you can have rocks shaped like daggers if you want. :P Sadly, you cannot shape a rock like a convincing shuriken without leaving it with points too small for the rules. I tried. :(

That said... there are some monsters that have boulders, which are like giant rocks that deal double damage to armor.

Edit: On my field, actually, the most popular throwing weapon was actually a hockey puck. :P (Well, technically it was foam padding wrapped in electrical tape, but it looked like a hockey puck and complied with all the rules.)
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
ah, no, rocks only hurt an un-armored head. XD They're really kinda a joke, but they DO work here and there. I've gotten a few kills with them. In all honesty, though, if I HAVE to use something besides my own personal armory(My bow, my hammers, my axes, my swords) I use a short spear. I love them~ Javelin+Shield is something I'm also ok at~ And...have you ever seen an archer wield a great-axe, and well? XD It's HILARIOUS.

Also, an FYI - Bel is a split-off of Dagorhir, just like Amtguard XD
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #43  
Hey, hold the conversation here for a bit. I'm going to split off the off-topic posts into Central Square.
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:15 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
I've never heard of that. xD Are you making a Table-top rpg discussion or something? xD

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

♔ Trisphee's one and only Vampire Prince ♔
Currently working on "Dream World Is Mine" art.
Let me catch you in my Dark Void...

Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Kensai
Default   #45  
Nice job Coda~ Goin to lunch. BBS~
<--Trisphee Kensai-->
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Lost in the forest
I have some friends who larp but I don't know what type they're in. I just know they spend a ton of money making their stuff and going on trips out of state. It seemed kind of cool, I would just never have the time.

My one friend did make really cool chainmail for his outfits though...
/ Questing /
Insane Clutterbug & Creepy Lurker
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #47  
My Giant Mallet o'Doom is one pommel-guard short of being Amtgard 6.0-legal. (6.1 adds a requirement that non-striking areas of the weapon need to have courtesy padding, which just totally ruins the appearance.)
Old Posted 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Oh LARPing! xDD I've never tried that before, it always seemed kinda funny watching videos of people doing it. But I suppose table-top isn't any better.

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

♔ Trisphee's one and only Vampire Prince ♔
Currently working on "Dream World Is Mine" art.
Let me catch you in my Dark Void...

Old Posted 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM Reply With Quote